Pixel 4a - very quiet notifications

wenglish98

Jan 13, 2020
Visit site
If I have my ring volume set at a decent (fairly loud) level, my notification sounds are so quiet I can barely hear them. If I hit the volume button on the side of the phone and choose the "equalizer" icon, there isn't a separate volume slider for notifications vs. ringtones.

If I am in the notification sound picker I can adjust the notification volume (icon looks like a bell) but that also changes the ring volume (whose icon also looks like a bell when in the ringtone sound picker).

MacroDroid claims to let me adjust each of those separately, but they don't seem to work independently. I suspect MacroDroid is using two different APIs, one for ring volume and one for notification volume) but Android 10 is configured so that either API controls the same overall (ring & notification) volume. That's just a guess.

I thought maybe I could find something suitable in the built-in notifications (something short but loud), but all of the built-in notification sounds are lame. I miss "Billiards" from the LG V35 - perhaps if I could find a copy I could crank up the volume using Audacity or something.

Anyone have any suggested workaround for this?

Thanks,
Mike

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Ring and Notifications are different channels. Hit Volume Up, then tap the little setting icon that comes up. Set the Notifications level to maximum.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Ring and Notifications are different channels. Hit Volume Up, then tap the little setting icon that comes up. Set the Notifications level to maximum.

Pixels don't have that differentiation, unfortunately. Ring & Notifications are one and the same.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
They changed that - the Pixel 2 still has it.

Really? That's odd -- my wife's 2 XL (running Android 11) has Ring and Notification volumes tied together as well.:confused: Is there some deeper volume setting where you can split them?

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I see you are a newer user here - welcome to Android Central! Are you using the stock notification sounds that came with your Pixel 4a? If you are finding them to be too quiet, I'd recommend downloading Zedge - you'll get free ringtones, notification tones, wallpapers, and icon packs! You'll find something louder and more user-friendly there! :)

Inundated

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
I solved this problem long before I got the Pixel 4a.

I'm one of those "old school" people who found and used an "old Bell phone" ringtone for both ringtone and alarms. But it was too low in volume, so I ran it though an audio editor, boosted the volume somewhat, and re-saved it.

"OldBellPhoneLoud" has now been my ringtone/alarm sound of choice on three phones, most recently the Pixel 4a.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I solved this problem long before I got the Pixel 4a.

I'm one of those "old school" people who found and used an "old Bell phone" ringtone for both ringtone and alarms. But it was too low in volume, so I ran it though an audio editor, boosted the volume somewhat, and re-saved it.

"OldBellPhoneLoud" has now been my ringtone/alarm sound of choice on three phones, most recently the Pixel 4a.

That's pretty innovative - good for you! Having a loud alarm is a surefire way to get up in the morning!

Inundated

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
That's pretty innovative - good for you! Having a loud alarm is a surefire way to get up in the morning!
And it has its down sides.

I set an alarm for while I was at work not long after I created the file. I was in the next room when it went off, and I had to rush in to turn it off.

I got a lot of grief from my co-workers, ranging from "you scared the crap out of me" to cracks about waking the dead...

wenglish98

Jan 13, 2020
Visit site
Sorry for the lack of follow-up, I had a subscription for "instant via email" which worked for a while and then stopped emailing me. I've switched it to my usual "daily via email" which hopefully will help.

BTW I am noticing sometimes the notifications are almost inaudible, and sometimes they are somewhat loud-ish. It's almost like Google applied something like the auto-brightness feature to notification sounds. My phone is always face up, so it's not like there's some gesture triggered by setting the phone face-down that is coming into play.
@Morty2264 - Yes, I am using the built-in notifications. I'll give Zedge a try, thanks.
@Inundated - that was my plan B (using Audacity), if I'm unable to find a notification sound I like (short, but loud). Why short? - when Samsung came out with that 5-syllable whistle sound and everyone decided it would be cool to use, it got old really quickly (especially when all the people around you are getting multiple notifications).
@B. Diddy - I'll check out the Galaga sounds, thanks.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Sorry for the lack of follow-up, I had a subscription for "instant via email" which worked for a while and then stopped emailing me. I've switched it to my usual "daily via email" which hopefully will help.

BTW I am noticing sometimes the notifications are almost inaudible, and sometimes they are somewhat loud-ish. It's almost like Google applied something like the auto-brightness feature to notification sounds. My phone is always face up, so it's not like there's some gesture triggered by setting the phone face-down that is coming into play.
@Morty2264 - Yes, I am using the built-in notifications. I'll give Zedge a try, thanks.
@Inundated - that was my plan B (using Audacity), if I'm unable to find a notification sound I like (short, but loud). Why short? - when Samsung came out with that 5-syllable whistle sound and everyone decided it would be cool to use, it got old really quickly (especially when all the people around you are getting multiple notifications).
@B. Diddy - I'll check out the Galaga sounds, thanks.

Please keep us posted on what happens!

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Yes, I'm interested if anyone else has this issue. I'm looking at possibly getting one bit that might be a deal breaker along with poor reception.

Poor reception too? Oh, no! I'm guessing you didn't have a similar issue with previous devices?

kbz1960

Apr 23, 2016
Visit site
Poor reception too? Oh, no! I'm guessing you didn't have a similar issue with previous devices?
I had a moto that was gold for reception my Nokia will lose signal where my moto didn't so I'm not just going by bars. I'm just contemplating the 4a at this time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol