I was comfortable with Android OS on my Pixel XL, with this 4a I'm back in a learning curve. I can't see that this black line at the bottom of the screen, and sometimes in the bottom 2 corners, is a help. What is that thing anyway?
    09-18-2020 07:41 AM
    I think it's just supposed to be a subtle reminder to the user of the gesture functionalities. For example, swiping up from the line at the bottom will go home (or bring up the App Drawer if already on the homescreen), and swiping left and right on that line will swap between recent apps. Swiping diagonally up from the lines at the bottom corners brings up Google Assistant.

I assume you were used to the 3 button navigation interface on the 1st gen Pixel. Give it a few days -- I think you'll find that the gesture system becomes second nature quickly.
    09-18-2020 12:07 PM
    I adapted to the gesture system so quickly I find I keep trying it on my older iPHone, where only some bit work.
    B. Diddy and Smokeaire01 like this.
    09-18-2020 01:34 PM
    I was comfortable with Android OS on my Pixel XL, with this 4a I'm back in a learning curve. I can't see that this black line at the bottom of the screen, and sometimes in the bottom 2 corners, is a help. What is that thing anyway?
    If you want the 3 button navigation you can go into settings, Accessibility, scroll down to System Navigation. There you choose the 3 button navigation.
    Chuckcell and B. Diddy like this.
    09-18-2020 05:02 PM
    Ok smokie! Now I've got something I'm comfortable with!
    Thank you sir.
    09-18-2020 05:49 PM
    I tried the gestures, didn't like them (had trouble to get them working consistently), and went to 3 button almost immediately.
    09-18-2020 07:32 PM
    When gestures first came out, I thought I'd want to stick with the 3 or 2 button nav, but figured I should still try it out. It grew on me pretty quickly. What's nice is that you can give a Back command without having to reach your thumb all the way down to the bottom of the screen (which has progressively gotten to be more of a hassle as phone screens get taller).
    09-18-2020 09:42 PM
    The reason I switched to gestures is that I figured it was a matter of time before they were the only option. While that hasn't come to pass,yet, it most likely will at some point. By switching when I did, or now even, you can get used to them slowly over time, rather than have gestures be your only option and have to do a crash course in them to be able to operate your device. Just my $,02.
    09-19-2020 01:27 AM
    That's the beauty of Android: having choices and options on how you choose to set up your device.
    09-19-2020 02:01 AM
    Yes sir. Customizing is a great thing.
    09-19-2020 04:04 AM
    Thank you sir.
    You're welcome.
    My wife and I both have Pixel 4a's, replacing our Blackberry phones. She prefers the 3 button navigation. So I set it up with that. I'm a swipe gesture type so I have mine that way. One size doesn't fit all. So choices are good. We really like our P4a's.... our way.
    kbz1960 and john_v like this.
    09-19-2020 04:19 AM
    After my last post, I tried gestures again. I got used to them very quickly.

I have to think a bit every so often, but I am 95% there now.
    Smokeaire01 likes this.
    09-19-2020 04:22 AM
    After my last post, I tried gestures again. I got used to them very quickly.

I have to think a bit every so often, but I am 95% there now.
    I agree. Having come from Blackberry phones screen swiping I adapted to Android 10 swiping version very quickly. I installed A11BETA3 about a week after I received the Pixel 4a. Then I had to learn some small changes in swiping movements. It didn't take long.
    Since I'm the cell phone IT person when I have to do some trouble shooting or changes to my wife's 3 button P4a it takes a few frustrating swipes to switch brain sides.
    09-19-2020 07:38 AM
    Thank you sir.
    Glad you are enjoying the 3-buttom navigation! I too struggled with the gestures on my Pixel 2.
    09-19-2020 08:20 AM