Poor battery life in 4a 5g

Big Ry

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
Ah okay ..reason I was asking bc my friends phone had old sim was using on unlocked phone and once replaced sim it improved his battery drain... I've not tried yet other than on WiFi at home.. I need to try it out and about soon ...
This shipped direct from Google with new sim already installed. It was then activated and data transferred with the oem usb-c cable. It was pretty seamless. Only thing i had to do was call Verizon to get onto a 5g plan.

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Settle in? Phones don't settle in lol

Yes actually they do. As mustang mentioned the phone will learn your usage patterns adjust some settings accordingly. Additionally, while you said your first day was typical use, setting up the phone takes a toll on the battery life. Setting up your accounts & syncing your data, downloading apps to you had on your previous device, customizing your settings, & first connection to the network all drain the battery. I've found it isn't a bad idea after you're done setting up your phone, shut it off or restart it, charge it, then go from there.

I have the 4a & the first few days I wasn't all that impressed with the battery life. But by the end of the week, it changed quite a bit. I came from a Pixel 3 that I was having to charge 1-2 times a day. My 4a I generally only charge once a day. Yesterday I ended the day with 4.5 hrs SOT, 17% battery remaining, after 26 hrs since I charged it. I've never had a phone with that battery life, but it was about the same as my old phone in the first few days. So give it time, you've got 14 days to return it. If by 12 days it's still bad, then consider returning it.

Between the 4a & 4a5G, the only differences are the CPU, display size, battery size, & 5G. If there's an issue, I'd say it would either be that the CPU isn't as efficient (which I'd doubt), or that 5G is draining the battery at a faster rate than the LTE/CDMA radios. And that's not uncommon. When Verizon introduced LTE, the first flagships that supported it had HORRIBLE battery life. Like charging 3-4 times a day in some cases. It took a few years before battery life was comparable to what 3G phones had. So it could just be that. I generally don't jump on new networks for a few years because it takes time for them to work the kinks out.

Big Ry

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
Yes actually they do. As mustang mentioned the phone will learn your usage patterns adjust some settings accordingly. Additionally, while you said your first day was typical use, setting up the phone takes a toll on the battery life. Setting up your accounts & syncing your data, downloading apps to you had on your previous device, customizing your settings, & first connection to the network all drain the battery. I've found it isn't a bad idea after you're done setting up your phone, shut it off or restart it, charge it, then go from there.

I have the 4a & the first few days I wasn't all that impressed with the battery life. But by the end of the week, it changed quite a bit. I came from a Pixel 3 that I was having to charge 1-2 times a day. My 4a I generally only charge once a day. Yesterday I ended the day with 4.5 hrs SOT, 17% battery remaining, after 26 hrs since I charged it. I've never had a phone with that battery life, but it was about the same as my old phone in the first few days. So give it time, you've got 14 days to return it. If by 12 days it's still bad, then consider returning it.

Between the 4a & 4a5G, the only differences are the CPU, display size, battery size, & 5G. If there's an issue, I'd say it would either be that the CPU isn't as efficient (which I'd doubt), or that 5G is draining the battery at a faster rate than the LTE/CDMA radios. And that's not uncommon. When Verizon introduced LTE, the first flagships that supported it had HORRIBLE battery life. Like charging 3-4 times a day in some cases. It took a few years before battery life was comparable to what 3G phones had. So it could just be that. I generally don't jump on new networks for a few years because it takes time for them to work the kinks out.

What specifically in Android "adapts" to usage, and in what way does it impact battery? I've been around this scene for a long time, and I've never heard this claim made before much less have I ever experienced it myself. If you're referring to things like adaptive brightness or usage-based wifi toggling, that's not new by any means.

When I said yesterday was my first full day of typical use, i meant actual typical use. I setup the phone the day before. All apps were installed, all apps were signed into, and all settings are configured the day before yesterday. Yesterday was just straight normal usage.

Saying new tech devices tend to be problematic isn't far off base, and I knew that going in. I got the galaxy nexus at launch, and yes, the battery life sucked... Even with the extended battery. But that phone had serious heat issues with the screen that sucked a ton from the battery. This 4a 5G has a massive battery, which should be more than sufficient when your consider the mediocre specs of the device. Even the screen is sub-par compared to the pixel 2 XL, and that's what Android is claiming is using all my battery now. Frankly, I believe Android hides the real battery usage from users. The fact that Google blocked battery apps from functioning is incredibly suspect. So who's to say what's really consuming the battery. I wouldn't even be surprised if the battery itself is made of subpar materials. This is the budget line after all...

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
What specifically in Android "adapts" to usage, and in what way does it impact battery? I've been around this scene for a long time, and I've never heard this claim made before much less have I ever experienced it myself. If you're referring to things like adaptive brightness or usage-based wifi toggling, that's not new by any means.

When I said yesterday was my first full day of typical use, i meant actual typical use. I setup the phone the day before. All apps were installed, all apps were signed into, and all settings are configured the day before yesterday. Yesterday was just straight normal usage.

Saying new tech devices tend to be problematic isn't far off base, and I knew that going in. I got the galaxy nexus at launch, and yes, the battery life sucked... Even with the extended battery. But that phone had serious heat issues with the screen that sucked a ton from the battery. This 4a 5G has a massive battery, which should be more than sufficient when your consider the mediocre specs of the device. Even the screen is sub-par compared to the pixel 2 XL, and that's what Android is claiming is using all my battery now. Frankly, I believe Android hides the real battery usage from users. The fact that Google blocked battery apps from functioning is incredibly suspect. So who's to say what's really consuming the battery. I wouldn't even be surprised if the battery itself is made of subpar materials. This is the budget line after all...

Then return it and move on.

bkdodger2

Jun 3, 2020
Visit site
All said I would give the phone a little longer and possible something is throwing it off causing this drain..I've been using phones forever and the same way and still once in awhile something goes off track ...it does happen ..just a thought before you bail on the phone ..

Big Ry

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
All said I would give the phone a little longer and possible something is throwing it off causing this drain..I've been using phones forever and the same way and still once in awhile something goes off track ...it does happen ..just a thought before you bail on the phone ..
I understand. I've been around a long time too. I used to root back in the OG droid days, and i even used to sell phones at at&t. Ever since about Android 9, the OS has handled resources pretty well. I rarely get hanging apps. I know it could still happen, but I have no reason to believe that's happening now.

Returning this device isn't really an option i planned to entertain. The alternatives aren't great. I don't like the pixel 5, and the galaxy line gets really bad reviews. So I'm likely stuck with this 4a 5G, but I'm just annoyed and frustrated after reading all these reviews touting 2 day battery life. Reviews aren't usually this inaccurate.

bkdodger2

Jun 3, 2020
Visit site
I understand. I've been around a long time too. I used to root back in the OG droid days, and i even used to sell phones at at&t. Ever since about Android 9, the OS has handled resources pretty well. I rarely get hanging apps. I know it could still happen, but I have no reason to believe that's happening now.

Returning this device isn't really an option i planned to entertain. The alternatives aren't great. I don't like the pixel 5, and the galaxy line gets really bad reviews. So I'm likely stuck with this 4a 5G, but I'm just annoyed and frustrated after reading all these reviews touting 2 day battery life. Reviews aren't usually this inaccurate.

I totally understand where ya coming from brother.. And feel your frustration.. Only good thing you are in our return window if you decide to change it up since it's early.. Same with you rooted back in the day Droid X and Nexus days and rooted Note.. And OnePlus.. no matter what we tried with that Nexus battery sucked lmao.. Hopefully you can get better results soon... I also had the 2 XL which I found to be a great phone and I didn't listen to all the complaints I had none with mine... Like you said sometimes you gotta find out yourself not go by others especially them reviewers... We here for you to help and vent though free of charge

Big Ry

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
I totally understand where ya coming from brother.. And feel your frustration.. Only good thing you are in our return window if you decide to change it up since it's early.. Same with you rooted back in the day Droid X and Nexus days and rooted Note.. And OnePlus.. no matter what we tried with that Nexus battery sucked lmao.. Hopefully you can get better results soon... I also had the 2 XL which I found to be a great phone and I didn't listen to all the complaints I had none with mine... Like you said sometimes you gotta find out yourself not go by others especially them reviewers... We here for you to help and vent though free of charge
Yeah I'm not going to be returning this just yet. At 9% now at 8:45pm... Took it off the charger at 10am. I've had brightness at about 90% all day. Seems about the same as yesterday.

bkdodger2

Jun 3, 2020
Visit site
Yeah I'm not going to be returning this just yet. At 9% now at 8:45pm... Took it off the charger at 10am. I've had brightness at about 90% all day. Seems about the same as yesterday.
yup yup sounds very low not even half day...One thing I always hate with my Pixel phones they need to be cranked up in brightness as they are too dim to adjust ....I will soon have to throw my sim in to test it out ..I'm on Verizon as well in NY with unlocked phone ..my problem right now is that I don't want to switch from my Fold..

Big Ry

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
yup yup sounds very low not even half day...One thing I always hate with my Pixel phones they need to be cranked up in brightness as they are too dim to adjust ....I will soon have to throw my sim in to test it out ..I'm on Verizon as well in NY with unlocked phone ..my problem right now is that I don't want to switch from my Fold..
The pixel 2 xl screen was on the darker side. This screen is considerably brighter. Though Google doesn't seem to care that they have adaptive brightness backwards. It gets dark during sunny days and bright at night... Complete opposite of how it should be. So i never use it.

bkdodger2

Jun 3, 2020
Visit site
The pixel 2 xl screen was on the darker side. This screen is considerably brighter. Though Google doesn't seem to care that they have adaptive brightness backwards. It gets dark during sunny days and bright at night... Complete opposite of how it should be. So i never use it.

I have mine off as well ..I think it's poorly implemented..

garyll

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Second full day with my 4A 5G and so far I'd say the battery life is about the same as my Pixel 2XL was. Usually no problem getting through the day unless I'm using my phone constantly.

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Have you looked at the 5G signal strength? If it's low but still strong enough to keep it on 5G instead of dropping to LTE, then the modem might be working harder to try and keep the 5G signal. The same thing happened when LTE was introduced and my phone was hunting for and trying to keep connected to LTE when 3G had a stronger signal and would've provided a more solid signal.

I don't know if this is the first 5G phone in your household or not, but if it is, you might want to check & see if the signal is good or not. Signal issues can definitely drain a battery quickly.

garyll

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Mine has been going in and out of 5G, not getting a great signal in my home but it's often strong when I'm out and about. Even with that, after 4 days it's showing battery life as 20-24 hours for the most part I've been on my phone a LOT. No complaints here.

heap11

Jul 27, 2016
Visit site
You mention that 36% of your battery usage is the display and that you keep the brightness at 100%. I am pretty sure that this is big reason for your lousy battery life.

Big Ry

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
You mention that 36% of your battery usage is the display and that you keep the brightness at 100%. I am pretty sure that this is big reason for your lousy battery life.
Again, this is typical for any phone I own. I always keep brightness at 100%. So I'm comparing it to another phone (pixel 2 xl) that i also keep at 100%.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
I'm quite happy with the battery life on this thing. This was after I spent 3 hours listening to podcasts through bluetooth headphones.
Yes, I blocked out some app names...Screenshot_20201127-150433~2.jpg

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robbyworkman1995