11-27-2020 11:03 PM
40 12
tools
    I finally upgraded my Pixel 2 XL to a 4a 5G, which arrived yesterday. One of the things i was most excited for was the massive battery. But my real world experience during my first day of use is anything but good. I took it off the charger around 11am and it's already at 44% now at 7:50pm. This is worse battery life than my 3 year old Pixel 2 XL with a battery half the size. My usage today is typical for me, with some YouTube time and a bit of news article reading... Using Wi-Fi the entire day and never leaving the house. Android says 36% of my battery usage is the screen. Next highest on the list is YouTube at 4%. I keep brightness at 100% on every phone i own, including my Pixel 2 XL. I'm completely shocked at how underwhelming this battery life is...2 day battery life? Not a chance!
    11-20-2020 07:55 PM
    I'm very sorry to hear that! If I can give you a bit of a suggestion / tip though... I'm not sure if you have 5G coverage in your area, but what I realized with my Pixel 5 is that if you go into your mobile network data settings and switch it from global which means 5G, to LTE/CDMA, that will turn the 5G radio on your phone off. That will save quite a bit of battery. I hope this helps you out!
    merlin29 likes this.
    11-20-2020 07:57 PM
    I'm very sorry to hear that! If I can give you a bit of a suggestion / tip though... I'm not sure if you have 5G coverage in your area, but what I realized with my Pixel 5 is that if you go into your mobile network data settings and switch it from global which means 5G, to LTE/CDMA, that will turn the 5G radio on your phone off. That will save quite a bit of battery. I hope this helps you out!
    I have 5g here in Baltimore City - I believe it's even UWB. But i thought the radios really only sucked battery when WiFi was off...
    11-20-2020 08:01 PM
    I have 5g here in Baltimore City - I believe it's even UWB. But i thought the radios really only sucked battery when WiFi was off...
    Haha, yep you're absolutely right. Well, that might be what's eating a battery up a little bit more so than you expected it to be. Switch on me here in New Jersey, at work I get sub 6 Nationwide 5G. Which isn't much faster than LTE 4G. So I just saw my 5G radios off for now. saves quite a bit of battery as far as I can tell so far.
    11-20-2020 08:02 PM
    Haha, yep you're absolutely right. Well, that might be what's eating a battery up a little bit more so than you expected it to be. Switch on me here in New Jersey, at work I get sub 6 Nationwide 5G. Which isn't much faster than LTE 4G. So I just saw my 5G radios off for now. saves quite a bit of battery as far as I can tell so far.
    I did one test with speedtest.net (if that's still even reliable!) and got about 60Mbos down / 55Mbps up on the network. That definitely beats LTE in this area by about 5x, but I'm not sure what qualifies it as UWB versus fake-5G.
    11-20-2020 08:05 PM
    I did one test with speedtest.net (if that's still even reliable!) and got about 60Mbos down / 55Mbps up on the network. That definitely beats LTE in this area by about 5x, but I'm not sure what qualifies it as UWB versus fake-5G.
    Okay, so on Nationwide subs-6 5G, I got 86.2 megabits per second downlink, 6.82 megabits per second upling. Now, on LTE, I got 160 megabits per second downlink, and 10.1 megabits per second uplink. Obviously come unfortunately, I do not have millimeter wave ultra wide band 5G in New Jersey or even New York.... Well, at least not yet!
    11-20-2020 08:07 PM
    Okay, so on Nationwide subs-6 5G, I got 86.2 megabits per second downlink, 6.82 megabits per second upling. Now, on LTE, I got 160 megabits per second downlink, and 10.1 megabits per second uplink. Obviously come unfortunately, I do not have millimeter wave ultra wide band 5G in New Jersey or even New York.... Well, at least not yet!
    That don't make a lot of sense lol
    11-20-2020 08:08 PM
    That don't make a lot of sense lol
    Haha yeah tell me about it. I mean come I don't get on myself. But whatever. All I heard is that sub-6 5 g Nationwide 5G coverage is supposed to be only faster slightly than LTE. Although I don't know what that means lol. But yeah, right now, I just have my 5G radios turned off.
    11-20-2020 08:09 PM
    Haha yeah tell me about it. I mean come I don't get on myself. But whatever. All I heard is that sub-6 5 g Nationwide 5G coverage is supposed to be only faster slightly than LTE. Although I don't know what that means lol. But yeah, right now, I just have my 5G radios turned off.
    Just tried again and best of of 3 was 64/21. Switched to lte and got 53/13, so I'm guessing Verizon is completely lying about this being 5G. Kind of pissed right now.
    J Dubbs likes this.
    11-20-2020 08:19 PM
    Just tried again and best of of 3 was 64/21. Switched to lte and got 53/13, so I'm guessing Verizon is completely lying about this being 5G. Kind of pissed right now.
    I mean from my marking standpoint , I completely get it. Sub-6 5G / Nationwide. Is not much faster than 4G LTE. Ultra wideband millimeter wave 5G is where you want to be at. Yeah LTE is not much slower than Nationwide sub-6 5G. I mean that's why all the tech YouTubers all day long day that you still shouldn't but a phone just for the 5g connectivity unfortunately. It'll be a nice advantage in the future though. Talk. About future proofing your phone...
    11-20-2020 08:20 PM
    I mean from my marking standpoint , I completely get it. Sub-6 5G / Nationwide. Is not much faster than 4G LTE. Ultra wideband millimeter wave 5G is where you want to be at. Yeah LTE is not much slower than Nationwide sub-6 5G.
    It's hardly new for carriers to pull this ****, but it is blatant false advertising under the guise of new technology.
    J Dubbs likes this.
    11-20-2020 08:22 PM
    It's hardly new for carriers to pull this ****, but it is blatant false advertising under the guise of new technology.
    Ugh....
    Big Ry likes this.
    11-20-2020 08:24 PM
    I finally upgraded my Pixel 2 XL to a 4a 5G, which arrived yesterday. One of the things i was most excited for was the massive battery. But my real world experience during my first day of use is anything but good. I took it off the charger around 11am and it's already at 44% now at 7:50pm. This is worse battery life than my 3 year old Pixel 2 XL with a battery half the size. My usage today is typical for me, with some YouTube time and a bit of news article reading... Using Wi-Fi the entire day and never leaving the house. Android says 36% of my battery usage is the screen. Next highest on the list is YouTube at 4%. I keep brightness at 100% on every phone i own, including my Pixel 2 XL. I'm completely shocked at how underwhelming this battery life is...2 day battery life? Not a chance!
    Give it about a week to settle in .
    J Dubbs likes this.
    11-20-2020 09:50 PM
    Give it about a week to settle in .
    Settle in? Phones don't settle in lol
    11-20-2020 10:22 PM
    It learns your usage pattern if that makes sense to you lol
    merlin29 likes this.
    11-20-2020 10:28 PM
    What carrier are you on?
    11-20-2020 10:35 PM
    What carrier are you on?
    Verizon
    11-20-2020 10:57 PM
    Verizon
    Are you using a 5G SIM?
    11-20-2020 11:11 PM
    Are you using a 5G SIM?
    Yes, it shipped with a Verizon 5g sim. It says 5G in the notification bar
    11-21-2020 12:03 AM
    Yes, it shipped with a Verizon 5g sim. It says 5G in the notification bar
    Ah okay ..reason I was asking bc my friends phone had old sim was using on unlocked phone and once replaced sim it improved his battery drain... I've not tried yet other than on WiFi at home.. I need to try it out and about soon ...
    11-21-2020 12:19 AM
    Ah okay ..reason I was asking bc my friends phone had old sim was using on unlocked phone and once replaced sim it improved his battery drain... I've not tried yet other than on WiFi at home.. I need to try it out and about soon ...
    This shipped direct from Google with new sim already installed. It was then activated and data transferred with the oem usb-c cable. It was pretty seamless. Only thing i had to do was call Verizon to get onto a 5g plan.
    bkdodger2 likes this.
    11-21-2020 12:23 AM
    Yes actually they do. As mustang mentioned the phone will learn your usage patterns adjust some settings accordingly. Additionally, while you said your first day was typical use, setting up the phone takes a toll on the battery life. Setting up your accounts & syncing your data, downloading apps to you had on your previous device, customizing your settings, & first connection to the network all drain the battery. I've found it isn't a bad idea after you're done setting up your phone, shut it off or restart it, charge it, then go from there.

I have the 4a & the first few days I wasn't all that impressed with the battery life. But by the end of the week, it changed quite a bit. I came from a Pixel 3 that I was having to charge 1-2 times a day. My 4a I generally only charge once a day. Yesterday I ended the day with 4.5 hrs SOT, 17% battery remaining, after 26 hrs since I charged it. I've never had a phone with that battery life, but it was about the same as my old phone in the first few days. So give it time, you've got 14 days to return it. If by 12 days it's still bad, then consider returning it.

Between the 4a & 4a5G, the only differences are the CPU, display size, battery size, & 5G. If there's an issue, I'd say it would either be that the CPU isn't as efficient (which I'd doubt), or that 5G is draining the battery at a faster rate than the LTE/CDMA radios. And that's not uncommon. When Verizon introduced LTE, the first flagships that supported it had HORRIBLE battery life. Like charging 3-4 times a day in some cases. It took a few years before battery life was comparable to what 3G phones had. So it could just be that. I generally don't jump on new networks for a few years because it takes time for them to work the kinks out.
    ezdoit and mustang7757 like this.
    11-21-2020 02:12 AM
    Yes actually they do.
    My experience agree with you.
    11-21-2020 07:05 AM
    Yes actually they do. As mustang mentioned the phone will learn your usage patterns adjust some settings accordingly. Additionally, while you said your first day was typical use, setting up the phone takes a toll on the battery life. Setting up your accounts & syncing your data, downloading apps to you had on your previous device, customizing your settings, & first connection to the network all drain the battery. I've found it isn't a bad idea after you're done setting up your phone, shut it off or restart it, charge it, then go from there.

I have the 4a & the first few days I wasn't all that impressed with the battery life. But by the end of the week, it changed quite a bit. I came from a Pixel 3 that I was having to charge 1-2 times a day. My 4a I generally only charge once a day. Yesterday I ended the day with 4.5 hrs SOT, 17% battery remaining, after 26 hrs since I charged it. I've never had a phone with that battery life, but it was about the same as my old phone in the first few days. So give it time, you've got 14 days to return it. If by 12 days it's still bad, then consider returning it.

Between the 4a & 4a5G, the only differences are the CPU, display size, battery size, & 5G. If there's an issue, I'd say it would either be that the CPU isn't as efficient (which I'd doubt), or that 5G is draining the battery at a faster rate than the LTE/CDMA radios. And that's not uncommon. When Verizon introduced LTE, the first flagships that supported it had HORRIBLE battery life. Like charging 3-4 times a day in some cases. It took a few years before battery life was comparable to what 3G phones had. So it could just be that. I generally don't jump on new networks for a few years because it takes time for them to work the kinks out.
    What specifically in Android "adapts" to usage, and in what way does it impact battery? I've been around this scene for a long time, and I've never heard this claim made before much less have I ever experienced it myself. If you're referring to things like adaptive brightness or usage-based wifi toggling, that's not new by any means.

When I said yesterday was my first full day of typical use, i meant actual typical use. I setup the phone the day before. All apps were installed, all apps were signed into, and all settings are configured the day before yesterday. Yesterday was just straight normal usage.

Saying new tech devices tend to be problematic isn't far off base, and I knew that going in. I got the galaxy nexus at launch, and yes, the battery life sucked... Even with the extended battery. But that phone had serious heat issues with the screen that sucked a ton from the battery. This 4a 5G has a massive battery, which should be more than sufficient when your consider the mediocre specs of the device. Even the screen is sub-par compared to the pixel 2 XL, and that's what Android is claiming is using all my battery now. Frankly, I believe Android hides the real battery usage from users. The fact that Google blocked battery apps from functioning is incredibly suspect. So who's to say what's really consuming the battery. I wouldn't even be surprised if the battery itself is made of subpar materials. This is the budget line after all...
    11-21-2020 09:25 AM
    What specifically in Android "adapts" to usage, and in what way does it impact battery? I've been around this scene for a long time, and I've never heard this claim made before much less have I ever experienced it myself. If you're referring to things like adaptive brightness or usage-based wifi toggling, that's not new by any means.

When I said yesterday was my first full day of typical use, i meant actual typical use. I setup the phone the day before. All apps were installed, all apps were signed into, and all settings are configured the day before yesterday. Yesterday was just straight normal usage.

Saying new tech devices tend to be problematic isn't far off base, and I knew that going in. I got the galaxy nexus at launch, and yes, the battery life sucked... Even with the extended battery. But that phone had serious heat issues with the screen that sucked a ton from the battery. This 4a 5G has a massive battery, which should be more than sufficient when your consider the mediocre specs of the device. Even the screen is sub-par compared to the pixel 2 XL, and that's what Android is claiming is using all my battery now. Frankly, I believe Android hides the real battery usage from users. The fact that Google blocked battery apps from functioning is incredibly suspect. So who's to say what's really consuming the battery. I wouldn't even be surprised if the battery itself is made of subpar materials. This is the budget line after all...
    Then return it and move on.
    mustang7757 likes this.
    11-21-2020 06:04 PM
40 12