FPS Defective

IHateMyTreo

Oct 26, 2015
Visit site
It saved two fingerprints but now does not recognize them. Can't add new prints either. I'll get the vibration in touching the sensor but no input at all to set up a new print.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Does this issue happen in Safe Mode? Perhaps try turning your device off and on again, to see if it was a glitch. Was the rear fingerprint scanner working beforehand? Are you using a case on your device that could be interfering with the fingerprint scanner? It's a long shot, but you never know!

IHateMyTreo

Oct 26, 2015
Visit site
Spoke to TMo and they replaced the phone in a day. However, the new one is suffering from the same poor detection and response. The tech said that they are getting a lot of reports of FPS problems, that Google is aware of it and working on a fix. I'll believe it when I see it. ;-)

bkdodger2

Jun 3, 2020
Visit site
Hmmm doesn't sound right to me.. I would not be looking for software updates for that fix... My 4a 5G is spot on and quick to open no delays.. Saved two fingerprints as well..

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
I've noticed mine to be a little pickier about the fingerprints. If there's ANY hint of extra moisture it seems like it's not reading right.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
The Google FPS is also finicky about very dry skin, which happens in the winter. (I was ready to return this 2 in December 2018 - went the rounds with 4 replacement phones, all "defective". When the weather warmed up a bit (25°F is a bit unusual for the sandhills of NC), the FPS started working fine again.)