turn off day, date, temp on pixel 4a android 11 home screen

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

how do I get rid of the day, date, and temperature that is displayed across the top of my home screen on pixel 4a running android11

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Unfortunately, that's just part of the Pixel Launcher that you can't get rid of. As mustang7757 mentioned, if you don't like it, install a 3rd party launcher like Nova. If you really like the Pixel Launcher look except for the At A Glance date/temp, then try Rootless Launcher.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Is it? Or is it a widget? (I found it as a widget on my P2, and I'm using it in Nova.)

If it's a widget, it can just be deleted from the screen (after long-pressing it).

frankenhooker

Nov 14, 2013
Visit site
Is it? Or is it a widget? (I found it as a widget on my P2, and I'm using it in Nova.)

If it's a widget, it can just be deleted from the screen (after long-pressing it).
It's not a widget on pixel devices, it's built into the OS. You can't delete it unless you use a different launcher.

sulla1965

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
Wow that's one of the best things about the pixel IMO. This is probably the first time I've heard of anyone not liking that feature.

Stanley Kubrick

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Don't own a Pixel...yet...but I hate anything on my screen that I do not specifically put there! If I want the OEM to tell me what I must have on my screen then I might as well get an iPhone! Granted, I always use Nova myself, but this should not be the way to clean up your screen. I think I just got turned off from even considering a Pixel. SMH

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
But it's just a launcher, much in the same way Samsung's One UI is their launcher. It's their idea of how a launcher should look. You can always change that look with a 3rd party launcher -- that's the beauty of Android. No one's forcing you to stick with the stock launcher (unlike with iPhones).

Whenever I get a Pixel, I just install Nova. Problem solved. It's still a great phone with a superb camera.

Smokeaire01

Jul 3, 2015
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Unfortunately, that's just part of the Pixel Launcher that you can't get rid of. As mustang7757 mentioned, if you don't like it, install a 3rd party launcher like Nova. If you really like the Pixel Launcher look except for the At A Glance date/temp, then try Rootless Launcher.
I was able to get rid of the temp and time on my Pixel 4a home screen. Now I just have the day and date. I spent alot of time on this and did a multiple of actions. Don't ask me what exactly I did. I'll try to retrace my steps. I even have a thread on this.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I was able to get rid of the temp and time on my Pixel 4a home screen. Now I just have the day and date. I spent alot of time on this and did a multiple of actions. Don't ask me what exactly I did. I'll try to retrace my steps. I even have a thread on this.

Long-press an empty part of the homescreen, tap Homescreen Settings, then At a Glance, then turn off all the toggles there.:)

Smokeaire01

Jul 3, 2015
Visit site
Long-press an empty part of the homescreen, tap Homescreen Settings, then At a Glance, then turn off all the toggles there.:)
That did work...temporarily as i reported in my thread. The temp can back after an hour or so. A few days later I was doing more exploring in settings and in other areas. I found another reference to weather. I turned it off and now temp is gone. It's now been several days and it's still gone.
I've did some of the same things to my wife's phone but haven't succeeded to get rid of the temp.
Now I just need to remember the other step I did.

Jimmi Pedersen

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
Wow that's one of the best things about the pixel IMO. This is probably the first time I've heard of anyone not liking that feature.

Are you serious man? Its a complete waste of screen space. If people want something like that, there is a million widgets for that on Google Play. Why are we forced to have this complete waste of screen space. Mine cant even show the weather. That would be more usefull. I know what date it is man.

Last edited:

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Are you serious man? Its a complete waste of screen space. If people want something like that, there is a million widgets for that on Google Play. Why are we forced to have this complete waste of screen space. Mine cant even show the weather. That would be more usefull. I know what date it is man.
Hi, welcome to AC!

Everyone will have their opinion what they like.

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
Everyone will have their opinion what they like.
True, which as we all know is what’s so great about android, the choices to make it personally ours.
So, having said that, I wish we could use a different text color for the at a glance widget. It’s really the only thing that keeps me from using it more. Tired of the plain old generic white. I keep hoping one of these new yearly os updates will give us more control over the ui in that regard as well as a color picker for the at a glance widget.

Last edited:

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
True, which as we all know is what’s so great about android, the choices to make it personally ours.
So, having said that, I wish we could use a different text color for the at a glance widget. It’s really the only thing that keeps me from using it more. Tired of the plain old generic white. I keep hoping one of these new yearly os updates will give us more control over the ui in that regard as well as a color picker for the at a glance widget.

Yeah that would be nice to able to tweak that

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38