Save big + get 3 months free! Sign up for ExpressVPN today

Today Google Assistant has stopped working on my Pixel 4a.
    When I swipe up from a corner I get "Assistant will be ready soon". See screenshot. In settings the Hey Google won't stay on, see second screenshot. I've cleared Assistant cache and rebooted. Nada. I've reset my voice recognition. Still won't work.
    Occasionally voice will start Assistant but it won't complete commands and then it turns off.
    So...short of doing a factory reset, any suggestions I could try?
    It worked just fine yesterday. My wife's Pixel 4a Assistant is working as it should.
    03-05-2021 10:23 AM
    I've had that on various devices. Sometimes it is just a connection to the server that isn't working and ends up resolving itself. If it doesn't resolve perhaps you can clear the cache in the Google app or the Google Connectivity Services.
    J Dubbs likes this.
    03-05-2021 10:37 AM
    I've had that on various devices. Sometimes it is just a connection to the server that isn't working and ends up resolving itself. If it doesn't resolve perhaps you can clear the cache in the Google app or the Google Connectivity Services.
    I've cleared the cache in Assistant but not Connected Services. I'll try that later. I'll wait a bit to see if Assistant starts working on its own over lunch.
    Thanks for the suggestion.
    J Dubbs likes this.
    03-05-2021 10:42 AM
    I've cleared connected Services and turned phone off over lunch. Google Assistant still isn't working.
    03-05-2021 11:59 AM
    I've cleared connected Services and turned phone off over lunch. Google Assistant still isn't working.
    Have you tried clearing data then force stop Google app?
    J Dubbs likes this.
    03-05-2021 01:09 PM
    Have you tried clearing data then force stop Google app?
    Yep. It's is very frustrating because my wife's Pixel 4a Assistant is working just fine.
    03-05-2021 01:12 PM
    Yep. It's is very frustrating because my wife's Pixel 4a Assistant is working just fine.
    Yeah I hear you
    Try safe mode ?
    03-05-2021 01:16 PM
    Yeah I hear you
    Try safe mode ?
    Just tried. It won't even let me turn Assistant on. See first screenshot.
    One thing I noticed in system apps that there are two Assistants listed (2nd screenshot). Is that normal?
    03-05-2021 01:37 PM
    I don't even have Google Assistant showing up in my app list!

One thing I noticed in system apps that there are two Assistants listed (2nd screenshot). Is that normal? https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...b5c7e260cf.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...64f88ab766.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Google Assistant has stopped working-9663.jpg  
    03-05-2021 02:12 PM
    One thing I noticed in system apps that there are two Assistants listed (2nd screenshot). Is that normal? https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...b5c7e260cf.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...64f88ab766.jpg
    Yeah I have 2 under system apps , try clearing Data and force stop both of them
    03-05-2021 02:20 PM
    Yeah I have 2 under system apps , try clearing Data and force stop both of them
    I did what you suggested and .
    I really don't want to reset my phone. It will take days to get it back the way I like it. I guess it's a weekend project.
    mustang7757 likes this.
    03-05-2021 02:39 PM
    I did what you suggested and .
    I really don't want to reset my phone. It will take days to get it back the way I like it. I guess it's a weekend project.
    One thing , go to google app and uninstall the update then test without that app getting updated
    Smokeaire01 and J Dubbs like this.
    03-05-2021 02:42 PM
    One thing , go to google app and uninstall the update then test without that app getting updated
    Well that was brilliant. It worked. That app I was a beta tester for. I'm going to unenroll being a beta tester on that one.
    Thanks for all of the help Mustang 7757!
    mustang7757 likes this.
    03-05-2021 03:22 PM
    Well that was brilliant. It worked. That app I was a beta tester for. I'm going to unenroll being a beta tester on that one.
    Awesome, glad I could help .
    Smokeaire01 likes this.
    03-05-2021 04:23 PM
    You should've mentioned you were a beta tester, it could've got you help a little quicker lol. That's the reason you're wife wasn't having trouble but you were, when you're on a beta you have to expect problems, they're designed to catch the bugs before the stable version is rolled out to the general public. It would've been a shame if you factory reset your phone over an assistant beta problem I believe when you opt out of a beta you roll back to the last stable public release version... which is what you did by uninstalling the most recent update.
    Smokeaire01 likes this.
    03-06-2021 04:36 AM
    You should've mentioned you were a beta tester, it could've got you help a little quicker lol. That's the reason you're wife wasn't having trouble but you were, when you're on a beta you have to expect problems, they're designed to catch the bugs before the stable version is rolled out to the general public. It would've been a shame if you factory reset your phone over an assistant beta problem I believe when you opt out of a beta you roll back to the last stable public release version... which is what you did by uninstalling the most recent update.
    You are correct that if I mentioned I was a beta tester for that app I would have gotten the answer quicker or even came up with the solution myself. However I didn't know that that app was the root of the problem until Mustang7757 suggested it and I deleted the update and he was correct.
    After uninstalling the beta update I left that app's beta program and installed the public update and all is good.
    J Dubbs and mustang7757 like this.
    03-06-2021 05:10 AM