WiFi briefly disconnects

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
On my 4a I noticed my home Wi-Fi disconnects sporadically for a few or up to about 30 seconds at a time. Did the same thing with my pixel 2 so I don't think it's the Wi-Fi itself as my iPhone does not have this problem on the same Wi-Fi system. Not a big deal just thought I'd mention it, I thought when I upgraded to the 4A from the two I would leave that issue behind me but I guess not.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I would suspect your wifi , if you have a older router or one that can't handle many devices can cause that .

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for your input. My WiFi equipment is pretty up to date and new and none of my other stuff ever drops off. The pixel can drop even when it is the only thing on the network but since it seamlessly reverts to Verizon’s network it’s not an issue. I was curious if any other pixel owners had noticed anything similar. Since my 2 did it as well I thought it might be more widespread.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Thanks for your input. My WiFi equipment is pretty up to date and new and none of my other stuff ever drops off. The pixel can drop even when it is the only thing on the network but since it seamlessly reverts to Verizon’s network it’s not an issue. I was curious if any other pixel owners had noticed anything similar. Since my 2 did it as well I thought it might be more widespread.
Your welcome! Haven't experienced it on my pixel 4xl or 5

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
You've already tried rebooting the router? Keep in mind that it's possible for the network to be the problem, even if only one or two devices have an issue, while other devices are fine.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
You've already tried rebooting the router? Keep in mind that it's possible for the network to be the problem, even if only one or two devices have an issue, while other devices are fine.
I agree and still think something with the wifi

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
This has been going on for many months and the equipment was recently rebooted which makes no change. Really don't think it's the wifi system. Also with everything else in the house working flawlessly on wifi except for a pixel 2 and a 4a I'm leaning toward a pixel issue. Fortunately it does not mess up my usage as the drops are not often and Verizon picks up the slack for the short time it is off.
Just did a search on the pixel 2 forums for wifi issues and found a whole slew of various issues including wifi dropping out. Interesting thing is when I got my pixel 2 I noticed the issue right away but it never became enough of an issue to worry about IMO, then a couple of years later I upgraded my whole internet system, new equip, faster speeds , better router/modem etc and I still noticed the issue. Fortunately it never got worse. I forgot all about it until I got the 4a and after 2 or 3 weeks of using it, it started doing the same thing.
I'll be on an extended road trip in a few months and it will be interesting to notice if various wifi systems make any difference. My money is on it not. Fortunately it's not a big deal.
Thanks for the input guys

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
This has been going on for many months and the equipment was recently rebooted which makes no change. Really don't think it's the wifi system. Also with everything else in the house working flawlessly on wifi except for a pixel 2 and a 4a I'm leaning toward a pixel issue. Fortunately it does not mess up my usage as the drops are not often and Verizon picks up the slack for the short time it is off.
Just did a search on the pixel 2 forums for wifi issues and found a whole slew of various issues including wifi dropping out. Interesting thing is when I got my pixel 2 I noticed the issue right away but it never became enough of an issue to worry about IMO, then a couple of years later I upgraded my whole internet system, new equip, faster speeds , better router/modem etc and I still noticed the issue. Fortunately it never got worse. I forgot all about it until I got the 4a and after 2 or 3 weeks of using it, it started doing the same thing.
I'll be on an extended road trip in a few months and it will be interesting to notice if various wifi systems make any difference. My money is on it not. Fortunately it's not a big deal.
Thanks for the input guys
I don't have my Pixel 2xl operational anymore to say if it's a problem but as far back I can remember with it I don't recall it having that problem,but do keep us updated on your finding.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Is the phone connecting via 5 GHz? If so, try changing your network to 2.4 GHz only, and see if that helps. If you have a lot of walls in the house, or if you don't have a good mesh system set up, then 5 GHz isn't great for a reliable connection.

Where are you road tripping to? Sounds fun!

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
Is the phone connecting via 5 GHz? If so, try changing your network to 2.4 GHz only, and see if that helps. If you have a lot of walls in the house, or if you don't have a good mesh system set up, then 5 GHz isn't great for a reliable connection.

Where are you road tripping to? Sounds fun!

It's a fairly small house and the wifi auto switches between 2.4 and 5 GHz depending on how far I am from the modem/router. I have the signal spy app onboard leftover from my Google Fi days that will show me which I am using 2.4 or 5. I'll make a point of noticing next time it drops the wifi signal. Maybe when the network switches over is when the drop occurs. Worth a look for sure.
Got my 2nd Pfizer shot Saturday so feeling better about traveling. To soon yet tho. When the time is right will be going from Central Oregon to Albuquerque where my daughter lives for a nice few day visit. Haven't seen her in ages due to the pandemic. It's about 1200 miles give or take down there. Coming back I'll make a big loop thru Colorado and into Idaho. Some smaller towns I'd like to check out as well as some other things. No idea where I might end up or how far I'll go. Been cooped up way to long near home base and need to get out and stretch. The only definite stop is Albuquerque the rest is gravy. I have a habit of just going and stopping wherever with only a loose plan in mind. Find and see the most interesting stuff that way. And always take the road less traveled.

Gdraft#WN

Jul 9, 2012
Visit site
my son just complained about this very thing a few minutes ago with his Pixel XL OG.

I had it on my 3XL but the last update seemed to fix it.

it is not a network issue, it is a Pixel software issue

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
it is not a network issue, it is a Pixel software issue
I agree with this statement. Both my pixel 2 and now my 4A have the issue. However, my 4A has been okay since the last update. No idea if that was a coincidence or something in the update fixed it, it was just the security update but I'm happy it's fixed apparently.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucharmer