Pixel 4a / 4a XL

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
What do y'all expect from the Pixel 4a / 4a XL?

I think it's safe to say that in general, we'll see, compared to the present versions, similarly scaled down versions of the 4 / 4 XL, continuing to sacrifice up some of the premium niceties such as IP rating, wireless charging, glass back, top tier chipset. Likely also foregoing the 90Hz display. In tandem with a newer processor and (as last year) larger battery, battery life could be truly stellar.

I believe Google (rightfully) sees it as a critical priority to keep close parity of performance for cameras between the mid-range and flagship Pixels, so do expect that it will launch with telephoto lens, and of course support the software-/AI-driven functionalities.

I don't expect Soli to make the cut, as from my understanding it needs to be optimized heavily to the specific device, and, having had much more time to work on it by the time the 4a / 4a XL roll out, they would likely have to 'dumb it down' to keep it from overshadowing the 4 / 4 XL. Plus, they'd do well to put all their efforts truly innovating with it to make it offer some truly compelling functionality when the 5 rolls out (assuming they don't simply dump it).

But what strikes me as most potentially interesting about the 4a / 4a XL is that they could include the new SD765 chipset, making it Google's first 5G phone (which also continues to fully support 4G LTE on-die) - and if the 4a / 4a XL are as amazing a bang-for-the-buck value as the 3a / 3a XL have been, it could put Google in a position to carve out a real wedge of the market.

While it's early to recommend 5G devices for anyone to gain practical benefit today (almost no footprint for high performance 5G, albeit a mostly national footprint for modest 25% speed gains by one carrier), by the time these models roll out that will have evolved a little bit more, and with the average person waiting closer to 2.5-3 years between upgrades, it'll be a strong option.

Matty

Q&A Team
Mar 15, 2014
Visit site
Nearly went ahead and purchased a Pixel 3XL but now that we getting rumours of the Pixel 4a potentially having 5G capabilities, going to hold off to see what happens.

There is one thing that worries me from the latest leaks. It seem like Google is only going to make 1 budget Pixel device this year and not going to make a XL version due to low sales.

I really enjoy the larger screen real-estate so that might be a deal breaker. Guess we will have to see what happens in the new few weeks.

Matty

Q&A Team
Mar 15, 2014
Visit site
There are a couple things I hope to see from the Pixel A-series this year.

1) Improved durability. The Pixel 4XL has been hammered recently for its poor structure due to 4 poorly placed antenna lines.

2) Battery Life - hoping to see some improvements there. I feel Google was too cautious with the size of the battery in the Pixel 4

3) Camera - I really hope we get the exact same sensor in the 4a that we get in 4XL. we don't have to get the additional processing chips but at least get a fantastic sensor.

4) Call Me Crazy Headphone jack. I still love using wired headphones, especially when watching Airplane movies on travels. so I'm really crossing fingers we get one of those.

ezdoit

Sep 20, 2019
Visit site
I honestly hope they keep it close to the 3a in terms of design. I like my 3a more than my 4xl. just wish it has wireless charging.

Agreed - the one thing I missed with the 3a - will think long and hard before getting a 4a if it is not wireless charging

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech