4a with possible hole punch display and rear fingerprint sensor?

Rickey Shortt

Jun 28, 2013
Visit site
The smaller bezels and faster processor are nice but I don't see anything to make me regret getting the 3a XL for 25% off a month ago instead of waiting several more months.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Hole punch wouldn't be my preference, but I wouldn't balk - those things fade from perception after a bit in everyday use. FPS would be a welcome return, and I expect that it would be because the 4a would not have Soli (cost management) to empower adequately secure facial recognition.

There's only one thing I truly hope Google had the prescience to plan for with the 4a, and that's the SD765/765G chip. If the 4a is to the 4 in relative value what the 3a was to the 3, and if it has that midrange chip to allow 5g connectivity, they'll have a serious contender in the market. Not sure if they'd be able to maintain the same price as last year, but if they can deliver a 5g midrange handset for the same, or even $50-100 more, it'll be a ridiculously easy decision for someone looking for a phone in 2020 that they don't feel they need to replace in 1-2 years because it then lacks 5g.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Interesting.

Just more fuel to add to the fire of people who are already mad and feel ripped off with the Pixel 4.

Drop the price and put the fingerprint sensor back - that will really make current 4 or 4XL owners increase feelings of brand loyalty.

https://9to5google.com/2019/12/28/pixel-4a-leak-google-punch-hole-display/
No one is feeling like that and we are all happy with Pixel 4. Same with Pixel 3 and when Pixel 3a was released, was happy with 3 XL.

For me it looks like people who don't own the Pixel 4 keep posting articles to justify that they made the right decision not buying Pixel 4 lol.

And I'm glad to see 4a specs leak and looks like a great option just like the 3a was. 3a was regarded one of the best phones last year and I'm pretty sure 4a will have similar success next year.
But for me it'll always be the 3,4,5 etc and not the "a" versions.

And why would Pixel 4 owners be mad? Everyone who is not living under a rock knew the cheaper 4a will be released and probably will still have the fingerprint sensor etc because they aren't going to put the soli sensors and face unlock etc on a budget phone. And also it'll have a headphone jack given that 3a has it. So it's not some revelation.

Last edited:

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
No one is feeling like that and we are all happy with Pixel 4. Same with Pixel 3 and when Pixel 3a was released, was happy with 3 XL.

For me it looks like people who don't own the Pixel 4 keep posting articles to justify that they made the right decision not buying Pixel 4 lol.

And I'm glad to see 4a specs leak and looks like a great option just like the 3a was. 3a was regarded one of the best phones last year and I'm pretty sure 4a will have similar success next year.
But for me it'll always be the 3,4,5 etc and not the "a" versions.

And why would Pixel 4 owners be mad? Everyone who is not living under a rock knew 4a will be released and probably will still have the fingerprint sensor etc because they aren't going to put the soli sensors and face unlock etc on a budget phone. And also it'll have a headphone jack given that 3a has it. So it's not some revelation.
Good point!

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Hole punch wouldn't be my preference, but I wouldn't balk - those things fade from perception after a bit in everyday use. FPS would be a welcome return, and I expect that it would be because the 4a would not have Soli (cost management) to empower adequately secure facial recognition.

There's only one thing I truly hope Google had the prescience to plan for with the 4a, and that's the SD765/765G chip. If the 4a is to the 4 in relative value what the 3a was to the 3, and if it has that midrange chip to allow 5g connectivity, they'll have a serious contender in the market. Not sure if they'd be able to maintain the same price as last year, but if they can deliver a 5g midrange handset for the same, or even $50-100 more, it'll be a ridiculously easy decision for someone looking for a phone in 2020 that they don't feel they need to replace in 1-2 years because it then lacks 5g.
I would agree with you but we may not be at the 5G turning point just yet. We are close though.

strikeIII

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
Until they come out with a real iris scanner, the fingerprint sensor is about the most secure there is. You can easily fake 2d facial recognition with a picture, and it's not that much more difficult to fake 3d facial recognition. Faking a fingerprint is a lot more difficult. Faking an iris scanner, unless someone gets a good picture of your iris (and you'd know, because you'd have to be leaning against the device doing it), is currently extremely difficult. (If I had wanted an insecure phone, I would have stayed with my Note 3. It still works fine.)
Ummm, where did you read that the Pixel 4 Face Unlock can be spoofed? Or are you just generalizing all 3D facial recognition. Unless you're someone special I don't think you have to worry about someone wasting theor time spoofing your Face Unlock, fingerprint or iris. Lol

slave

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
Ummm, where did you read that the Pixel 4 Face Unlock can be spoofed? Or are you just generalizing all 3D facial recognition. Unless you're someone special I don't think you have to worry about someone wasting theor time spoofing your Face Unlock, fingerprint or iris. Lol

He made that up

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site

Hole punch notches definitely fade in one's view. My S10's was almost instantly invisible. And now I actually like it!

Nauga

Nov 9, 2017
Visit site
The 4A looks fine, but Google really ought to do whatever it takes to get facial recognition on the 4As. They need more phones with that new technology in order to prove the strength of their commitment to it not any more phones with FPS, and especially not any more FPS phones with attractively lower price tags than the 4s.

swebb

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
The 4A looks fine, but Google really ought to do whatever it takes to get facial recognition on the 4As. They need more phones with that new technology in order to prove the strength of their commitment to it not any more phones with FPS, and especially not any more FPS phones with attractively lower price tags than the 4s.

Currently, I prefer FPS over facial recognition, no matter how refined facial recognition becomes. Now I believe the future will be iris scanning. Facial recognition is just a step in the progression to iris scanning.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Currently, I prefer FPS over facial recognition, no matter how refined facial recognition becomes. Now I believe the future will be iris scanning. Facial recognition is just a step in the progression to iris scanning.
What I love most about fingerprint scanners, is that they're The most secure on the phone, easy, simple and convenient. And on pixel phones they serve dual purpose. Swipe down for notification shade.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thambu63