Anyone know of a Release date for the 4a phones?

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
Were you planning on getting one Morty?
I've heard they were going to call it the 5A since it's coming out so late. Right around the time of the 5 anyway although they may push the 5 back now perhaps around Christmas. Also Tom's guide is saying no XL version.

Kizzy Catwoman

Ambassador
Feb 2, 2017
Visit site
At least by going for a mid tier processor the Pixel 5 release date won't be right at the end of the processor's natural lifespan like it is with the 800 series chipsets.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Were you planning on getting one Morty?
I've heard they were going to call it the 5A since it's coming out so late. Right around the time of the 5 anyway although they may push the 5 back now perhaps around Christmas. Also Tom's guide is saying no XL version.

I really don't know! I love my Samsung Galaxy S10 and I also bought it from my carrier, so I'm kind of in a bind unless I buy myself out. I may see how I feel after the 5a has been out for six months or so! That seems to be my methodology when purchasing phones. So I guess my long-winded answer is, "maybe"!

And wow, no XL version? That's a gutsy move!

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I really don't know! I love my Samsung Galaxy S10 and I also bought it from my carrier, so I'm kind of in a bind unless I buy myself out. I may see how I feel after the 5a has been out for six months or so! That seems to be my methodology when purchasing phones. So I guess my long-winded answer is, "maybe"!

And wow, no XL version? That's a gutsy move!

It's been rumored/essentially know that they were doing one model for awhile now.

When they said that they were dropping the 5 down to a midrange device, I started to wonder if they weren't going to switch to a more familiar lineup. By that I mean, having the smaller device skew towards budget and have a larger device with more of the bells & whistles. So the 4a would be the small Pixel, and the 5 would take the place of the XL model, but with higher end internals. It's like when Samsung had the S series and the S Mini, which resembled the S series but with lesser hardware in a smaller package. So if Google goes that route with the 4a & 5, it won't be unheard of.

But I thought the way Google handled the Pixel series to this point (both models essentially the same except for size) was a better business model. Samsung's S/S Mini scenario is fine, but it makes you feel like you're having to settle if you want a smaller device. While there isn't a ton of difference between the processors in the 4a & 5, things like having multiple camera sensors, probably a better screen with a higher refresh rate, and I'm sure a few other features the 5 will have over the 4a, eliminates any way for users wanting a smaller device to have them.

Grabber5.0

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
But I thought the way Google handled the Pixel series to this point (both models essentially the same except for size) was a better business model. Samsung's S/S Mini scenario is fine, but it makes you feel like you're having to settle if you want a smaller device...

This right here. This is what really pushed many to buy the larger phones more so than the screen size, which manufacturers interpreted as "people want the larger phones." I wanted the smaller phone but didn't want to have to give up the better camera or faster processor to get it!

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
It's been rumored/essentially know that they were doing one model for awhile now.

When they said that they were dropping the 5 down to a midrange device, I started to wonder if they weren't going to switch to a more familiar lineup. By that I mean, having the smaller device skew towards budget and have a larger device with more of the bells & whistles. So the 4a would be the small Pixel, and the 5 would take the place of the XL model, but with higher end internals. It's like when Samsung had the S series and the S Mini, which resembled the S series but with lesser hardware in a smaller package. So if Google goes that route with the 4a & 5, it won't be unheard of.

But I thought the way Google handled the Pixel series to this point (both models essentially the same except for size) was a better business model. Samsung's S/S Mini scenario is fine, but it makes you feel like you're having to settle if you want a smaller device. While there isn't a ton of difference between the processors in the 4a & 5, things like having multiple camera sensors, probably a better screen with a higher refresh rate, and I'm sure a few other features the 5 will have over the 4a, eliminates any way for users wanting a smaller device to have them.

Oh boy, I totally forgot about that rumour! I personally like smaller phones - though my S10 is 6.1", but its footprint is smaller than the Pixel 2 XL, IMO - but when it comes to camera specs, I like having a decent UI behind it.

Google is known for making excellent cameras on their devices, though, so I will try not to worry about this until I watch reviews and even test the cameras out, myself.

I agree with you that the choice between a pretty-identical-other-than-size smaller versus large Pixel phone was a great marketing vision. One doesn't want to feel disheartened that if they want a smaller device, they need to take a dip in features. With that being said, I think some features will weigh more or less than others depending on their needs. It will be hard for me to give up ip 68, for example, but the lack of a selfie lens wouldn't bother me.

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Oh boy, I totally forgot about that rumour! I personally like smaller phones - though my S10 is 6.1", but its footprint is smaller than the Pixel 2 XL, IMO - but when it comes to camera specs, I like having a decent UI behind it.

Google is known for making excellent cameras on their devices, though, so I will try not to worry about this until I watch reviews and even test the cameras out, myself.

I agree with you that the choice between a pretty-identical-other-than-size smaller versus large Pixel phone was a great marketing vision. One doesn't want to feel disheartened that if they want a smaller device, they need to take a dip in features. With that being said, I think some features will weigh more or less than others depending on their needs. It will be hard for me to give up ip 68, for example, but the lack of a selfie lens wouldn't bother me.

Agreed. The only things I'd feel bad about losing going with the 4a is the ip68, more camera lenses (although I'm currently on a single lens Pixel so I don't know how much of a difference it would make) and if the other rumors are true Active Edge (squeezable sides). I use that quite a bit to activate Assistant rather than using the always listening more, since that's a larger battery drain and it also becomes an issue using it at home with my Google Home devices (both the Home and my phone respond).

I thought about picking up a Galaxy S10e to see how Samsung has changed since my last one, the S3. But I've never had luck with any Samsung products, they always have issues and usually just after the warranty expires. I also thought about picking up a Moto G8 Power to play around with/ use as an mp3 player I even considered picking up an iPhone SE to play around with the OS and use for FaceTime so my Dad can talk to his relatives,but we opted for an iPad Mini instead so he can see it better (and it has reinforced my distaste for going the Apple rout (like the hardware, HATE iOS).

I'm almost starting to wonder if the delay is to make hardware changes to the 4a (or possibly changes to the retail packaging if they're changing the name to the 5a). Otherwise, it seems ridiculous to keep pushing the release back. There's no guarantee that things will get better financially anytime soon, it could even get worse if a second wave does happen. Maybe wishful thinking, but it just strikes me as odd. The only other explanation I can think of is, if they're going with a small budget model & large midrange model portfolio, then maybe they're planning to release both at the same time, rather than one in May and the other in October. Who knows at this point? The 4a may have leaked to the point where we know everything about it, but Google's managed to keep their reasoning for delaying it under wraps.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Agreed. The only things I'd feel bad about losing going with the 4a is the ip68, more camera lenses (although I'm currently on a single lens Pixel so I don't know how much of a difference it would make) and if the other rumors are true Active Edge (squeezable sides). I use that quite a bit to activate Assistant rather than using the always listening more, since that's a larger battery drain and it also becomes an issue using it at home with my Google Home devices (both the Home and my phone respond).

I thought about picking up a Galaxy S10e to see how Samsung has changed since my last one, the S3. But I've never had luck with any Samsung products, they always have issues and usually just after the warranty expires. I also thought about picking up a Moto G8 Power to play around with/ use as an mp3 player I even considered picking up an iPhone SE to play around with the OS and use for FaceTime so my Dad can talk to his relatives,but we opted for an iPad Mini instead so he can see it better (and it has reinforced my distaste for going the Apple rout (like the hardware, HATE iOS).

I'm almost starting to wonder if the delay is to make hardware changes to the 4a (or possibly changes to the retail packaging if they're changing the name to the 5a). Otherwise, it seems ridiculous to keep pushing the release back. There's no guarantee that things will get better financially anytime soon, it could even get worse if a second wave does happen. Maybe wishful thinking, but it just strikes me as odd. The only other explanation I can think of is, if they're going with a small budget model & large midrange model portfolio, then maybe they're planning to release both at the same time, rather than one in May and the other in October. Who knows at this point? The 4a may have leaked to the point where we know everything about it, but Google's managed to keep their reasoning for delaying it under wraps.

I agree with you - ip 68 and lenses would be a little harder to take - unless it's something gimmick-y to me, personally, like a selfie lens (that's not to say that that is not an important feature for others - that's great if it is! I just don't take a lot of selfies).

I too liked the Active Edge - that was an innovational tool that would be a bummer if they ditched it in the future.

It would be cool if, as you wrote, they would release both the larger mid-range and smaller budget model at the same time, like they have done with previous iterations. I guess only time will tell.

It will be interesting to see *why* Google is delaying this release - maybe they're adding or taking things away; or they want to release both models simultaneously; or maybe they're waiting for the economy to recover a bit more before the new Pixels' début. It's hard to know and it's hard to wait!

Kizzy Catwoman

Ambassador
Feb 2, 2017
Visit site
I think this strategy may just work for Google this time. The problem for them has always been pricing and they got it right with the 3a. I think hitting the mid range is the best place for their offering.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I think this strategy may just work for Google this time. The problem for them has always been pricing and they got it right with the 3a. I think hitting the mid range is the best place for their offering.

I agree with you, Kirstein! I think this will be a salute to their Nexus 5 days. I hope it turns out well for them.

mech1164

Apr 25, 2010
Visit site
As much as I wanted this phone I had to jump carriers yesterday. Google lost my business with is numb skull move to October. I was willing to cut them plenty of slack cause of everything going on. Now though the excuses are getting very thin. I'll come back to Google sometime. That time though is all dependent on what they do. Right now i'll show myself out.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
So latest update says maybe announced in a July and released in August.
I’m happy with my 3a so won’t be updating this go round anyway.