The more I read about the Pixel 5, the more I thought it might be the perfect new phone for me. But thought I read somewhere there is no headphone jack...can anyone confirm? I had resigned myself to no SD card for photos and backups, but no headphone jack is a total Dealbreaker.
    10-03-2020 10:56 AM
    The more I read about the Pixel 5, the more I thought it might be the perfect new phone for me. But thought I read somewhere there is no headphone jack...can anyone confirm? I had resigned myself to no SD card for photos and backups, but no headphone jack is a total Dealbreaker.
    There isn't a headphone jack. I believe the 4a 5G has one though.
    10-03-2020 11:01 AM
    There isn't a headphone jack. I believe the 4a 5G has one though.
    Yeah pix 4A 5g has one
    10-03-2020 11:27 AM
    Damn, oh well, the 4a 5G isn't THAT much of a downgrade. Glad it has the better photo capabilities over the 4A
    nathdogg1985 likes this.
    10-04-2020 12:33 AM
    5 has wireless charging, the 4a 5G doesn't. I already have Pixel Buds 2 anyway.
    Morty2264 likes this.
    10-05-2020 08:12 PM
    5 has wireless charging, the 4a 5G doesn't. I already have Pixel Buds 2 anyway.
    And reverse wireless charging
    10-05-2020 08:13 PM
    Plus, Pixel *has* done a masterful job with giving dongles and making the transition from headphone jack to wireless/dongle that much easier. I did not miss the jack as much as I used to but am liking having it back on my S10.

Admittedly, though, now that I'm using Bluetooth headphones, I suppose I'm not in as much of a need for a headphone jack. But I still like having that option. I can definitely see what you are saying about it being a difficult pill to swallow.
    Aflaaaak likes this.
    10-05-2020 08:18 PM
    And reverse wireless charging
    This is true.
    mustang7757 likes this.
    10-05-2020 08:19 PM
    I don't think they give a dongle anymore with the 5. I didn't get one with the 4xl.

I have a S10+ and I use the headphone jack with the car stereo and can also charge at the same time when using the phone as a sat navigation.
    Morty2264 likes this.
    10-06-2020 04:06 AM
    I don't think they give a dongle anymore with the 5. I didn't get one with the 4xl.

I have a S10+ and I use the headphone jack with the car stereo and can also charge at the same time when using the phone as a sat navigation.
    Aw, man! That is too bad!

That's a very handy use for the headphone jack on your S10!
    10-06-2020 08:12 AM
    I don't care that much about Wireless charging, at least at this moment, and not enough to lose the headphone jack. In looking into an adapter dongle, to use the USB charging port would work with most if the times I use my phone with my car or home stereo, but there are those times when the batter is low. Now I would have to go out and purchase 3 Wireless charging docks to cover my uses .It just irritates the hell out of me that manufacturers do this in the first place. Why drop the feature from their more premium phone? I don't think anyone is that hung up on Ultra-thin so much they can't fit a jack in the darn phone - guess they want to sell more Wireless headphones, which account for most of the total dollars, not numbers, of headphones sold.
    10-06-2020 08:28 AM
    I don't care that much about Wireless charging, at least at this moment, and not enough to lose the headphone jack. In looking into an adapter dongle, to use the USB charging port would work with most if the times I use my phone with my car or home stereo, but there are those times when the batter is low. Now I would have to go out and purchase 3 Wireless charging docks to cover my uses .It just irritates the hell out of me that manufacturers do this in the first place. Why drop the feature from their more premium phone? I don't think anyone is that hung up on Ultra-thin so much they can't fit a jack in the darn phone - guess they want to sell more Wireless headphones, which account for most of the total dollars, not numbers, of headphones sold.
    The decision to remove headphone jacks is not new and premium devices aren't excluded. If you really need to charge and use audio at the same time ESR and other companies make a USB C adaptor the allows both. Alternatively you could charge wirelessly and play music. If you are using USB in your car to play music that will charge as your listening.
    Morty2264 likes this.
    10-06-2020 08:46 AM
    The decision to remove headphone jacks is not new and premium devices aren't excluded. If you really need to charge and use audio at the same time ESR and other companies make a USB C adaptor the allows both. Alternatively you could charge wirelessly and play music. If you are using USB in your car to play music that will charge as your listening.
    Is this still relevant?
    https://www.theverge.com/circuitbrea...e-jack-adapter
    10-06-2020 09:42 AM
    My opinion.....no
    10-06-2020 07:10 PM
    I feel like I don't often need audio as well as the need to charge when I was using my Google Pixel 2. Wireless charging is pretty much a gimmick to me but there are times when I would consider buying a charging dock... So we'll see! I did use reverse wireless charging for my husband's LG Velvet which was slow but nifty!
    10-07-2020 08:15 AM
    I feel like I don't often need audio as well as the need to charge when I was using my Google Pixel 2. Wireless charging is pretty much a gimmick to me but there are times when I would consider buying a charging dock... So we'll see! I did use reverse wireless charging for my husband's LG Velvet which was slow but nifty!
    The Pixel 5 also has reverse wireless charging.
    Morty2264 likes this.
    10-07-2020 04:07 PM
    The Pixel 5 also has reverse wireless charging.
    That's pretty awesome! It's very fascinating to witness reverse wireless charging between two devices.
    10-08-2020 08:20 AM