If you takeaway 5G, is this phone an upgrade over the Pixel 4 and 4XL?

Dws51

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
If Verizon keeps dragging their heals on 5G, then maybe I should cancel my Pixel 5G Pre-Order???? I love my Pixel 4 Xl, having 2nd thoughts.

dmxjago

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
If Verizon keeps dragging their heals on 5G, then maybe I should cancel my Pixel 5G Pre-Order???? I love my Pixel 4 Xl, having 2nd thoughts.
I upgraded and it had nothing to do with the 5g support I could careless about 5g wish it didn't have it so the phone could be even. Cheaper or would of preferred the 855 chip. I mainly upgraded bc I like to upgrade every year and bc this year there is a bigger battery, 8gb if ram, ultra wide angle lens (no longer need to use a thick moment case + heavy wide angle lens) and the nice small bezel display with no notch or forehead. So for me these were compelling upgrade so I preordered.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
The pixel 5 has lot good things going for it , if they made a 5xl i probably jump to it , but my pixel 4xl been fantasic device for me and not enough sway to go to the 5. If your coming from pix 2,3 or like new devices then yes do it .

KrisYYC

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site
I'm upgrading simply because it's the next Pixel after the Pixel 4. But I'm completely irrational with these things. The larger battery will be nice, though I'll miss active edge for google assistant

Torisen1

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
I'm upgrading from the 4XL because of the smaller package, slightly smaller screen won't bug. Back to finger print. Bigger battery and I always buy the newest Pixel.

Edit: Also aluminum instead of glass.

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
I upgraded and it had nothing to do with the 5g support I could careless about 5g wish it didn't have it so the phone could be even. Cheaper or would of preferred the 855 chip. I mainly upgraded bc I like to upgrade every year and bc this year there is a bigger battery, 8gb if ram, ultra wide angle lens (no longer need to use a thick moment case + heavy wide angle lens) and the nice small bezel display with no notch or forehead. So for me these were compelling upgrade so I preordered.

You think the moment cases are thick? I've got it for my Note 8 and 9 and their the thinnest cases I've ever used, I know thinner exists but I'd never thought of them as thick.

dmxjago

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
You think the moment cases are thick? I've got it for my Note 8 and 9 and their the thinnest cases I've ever used, I know thinner exists but I'd never thought of them as thick.
I've had a moment case on my pixel 2 xl, 3 xl and 4 xl and all of them make the phone look and feel so thick.

Dws51

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
Still wonder what others think... I totally feel that even without 5G this phone is worth the upgrade.
Love the size, screen ratio, and using your finger vs face recognition to open the phone. Later, not sure when, the 5G ability will become a plus.

Mattsg430

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
I posted on some other thread here that I just ordered the pixel 5, and I did, but I canceled it today (was still in the "not yet shipped" window). I'm like a lot of ppl on the fence I think when I say I just want the newest thing and so I irrationally pulled the trigger. Just seems like my 4XL is perfectly fine *in comparison* to the 5. The screen isn't as bright as the 5 but my 4XL has better ppi, the 855 is faster than the 765G in every aspect except power efficiency (but the 4XL is a beast as far as battery), 5G is so hit or miss it's almost a gimmick. The only thing for me originally buying it was impulse and wanting the "new" pixel but really the only thing it has over the 4XL I have is its newness and my wanting it. (fps and lighter weight also debatable/subjective but not objective "upgrades")

Caezar07

Nov 15, 2014
Visit site
Remember when 4K TVs were being sold but it was difficult to even find 4k content? 5G is at that stage. If you are the type of person to keep your phone for 2+ years, I would wait until next year's pixel. You would be waiting a year but you'd actually get better hardware along with 5G. Next year's Pixel will probably add an in-screen fingerprint reader, 120hz, and a new camera sensor.

To more directly answer your question though, whether the Pixel 5 is an upgrade over the Pixel 4 or not really depends on whether you value much better battery life, a wide angle camera, and smaller bezels. If not, you should probably stick with the Pixel 4.

Mattsg430

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
Remember when 4K TVs were being sold but it was difficult to even find 4k content? 5G is at that stage. If you are the type of person to keep your phone for 2+ years, I would wait until next year's pixel. You would be waiting a year but you'd actually get better hardware along with 5G. Next year's Pixel will probably add an in-screen fingerprint reader, 120hz, and a new camera sensor.

This is a good point.

sulla1965

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
IMO unless you want the finger print scanner. If you have the P4 then no, there is no real reason to get the P5. Not that the P5 is bad in any way. Even if you have the P3, the 5 isn't a need.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coehlcke