So, do I wait on the Pixel 5 or go with the 4XL? What am I missing if I go with the 4XL?
    10-14-2020 07:21 PM
    The only thing I didn't like about the 4xl was the face unlock feature being the only unlock method other than pin. If that phone had a fingerprint sensor, I would still have it. Face unlock during covid just didn't work. In my opinion, I think the 4xl is still the better phone though, compared to the 5. However, the 5 will be a great phone, I'm sure
    10-14-2020 08:41 PM
    What's most important to you? Cameras, battery life, speaker output, size?
    J Dubbs likes this.
    10-14-2020 08:56 PM
    Camera, Battery are important. I don’t stream, don’t game. Use my phone purely for social media, texts, phone, and camera. This is so frustrating to find the right device for the right price.
    10-14-2020 09:20 PM
    They both have dual rear cameras and the image quality should be about the same but the the 2nd camera on the 5 is wide angle instead of telephoto. The 5 should have better battery life.
    Morty2264 likes this.
    10-14-2020 10:09 PM
    Personally, I do not feel like you would be missing out on much at all if you went with the Pixel 4 line. If you were talking about the Pixel 4 versus the Pixel 6, then there'd be more of an incentive - in my mind, anyway - to consider getting the newer model.

And if you do end up going for the Pixel 4, it may be at a reduced rate because of the launch of the Pixel 5. Saving a few bucks on a flagship is always a plus!

Let us know what you decide!
    aximtreo likes this.
    10-14-2020 11:12 PM
    Camera, Battery are important. I don’t stream, don’t game. Use my phone purely for social media, texts, phone, and camera. This is so frustrating to find the right device for the right price.
    Pixel 5 then. The camera will be just as good as the 4XL and battery life should be quite a bit better. Since you don't game or watch lots of videos, the inferior speakers won't affect you, as they are just fine for phone calls as per all the reviews.

Also, even though I'm 5'10" and my hands are not small, the 4XL can be cumbersome to use one handed. The slightly smaller 5 without bezels so not too much of a sacrifice of screen real estate, should hit the spot nicely. Unless you have big hands then obviously this doesn't matter.

Also, face unlock is useless with a mask on. It even sucks with my large RayBan aviators on. I'm using the pin so much it's a nuisance. At this point the rear fingerprint sensor is a draw for many folks too.
    10-14-2020 11:35 PM
    I would probably go with the 5 just because of 5g
    10-15-2020 02:23 AM
    So, do I wait on the Pixel 5 or go with the 4XL? What am I missing if I go with the 4XL?
    Go with what excites you, the phone you'll enjoy every time you pick it up, vs feeling like you're picking up a spoon.... just something to get the job done ;-)
    Laura Knotek, Morty2264 and ezdoit like this.
    10-15-2020 03:25 AM
    Go with what excites you, the phone you'll enjoy every time you pick it up
    Great way to phrase that!
    J Dubbs likes this.
    10-15-2020 12:51 PM
    Go with what excites you, the phone you'll enjoy every time you pick it up, vs feeling like you're picking up a spoon.... just something to get the job done ;-)
    Excellent post - also applies to cars and beer.
    J Dubbs, Morty2264 and aximtreo like this.
    10-15-2020 01:52 PM
    I don't understand the needing a flashy phone. And I have a thing for aesthetics. I'm big into bags (messengers, slings and backpacks) where looks are a big factor, my bike is a thing of beauty but phones go in cases for me at this point. Clear cases regardless what color the phone is. My Pixel 2XL was black my Pixel 4XL is white. I do like the white of the Pixel 4XL more than the black the Pixel 5 will be, but really, it's not a big deal. Ultimately how it functions is far more important to me than flashy. They look like slabs with different sized bezels, maybe a notch if it's an iPhone, and that's mostly it. Unless you go with a fold or Razr they are all slabs.
    10-15-2020 04:52 PM
    So, how about buying either the Pixel 4a or the Samsung s20 fe? I don’t think I need the flashiest, the most important to me is camera. In the past I have had problems with the Samsung series’ camera taking blurry shots while taking action shots. I am breaking my phone addiction, trying not to buy flagships anymore, if there is a lower priced option.
    10-16-2020 12:59 PM
    This has been my issue with Samsung phones. Action photos are a must , especially with kids. The last pixel phone I owned which was the P3XL was my best shooter yet. I currently have N10+. Great camera, but struggles with most sports shots
    So, how about buying either the Pixel 4a or the Samsung s20 fe? I don’t think I need the flashiest, the most important to me is camera. In the past I have had problems with the Samsung series’ camera taking blurry shots while taking action shots. I am breaking my phone addiction, trying not to buy flagships anymore, if there is a lower priced option.
    10-16-2020 06:30 PM
    Excellent post - also applies to cars and beer.
    And laptops!
    aximtreo likes this.
    10-16-2020 11:02 PM
    Pixel 4XL is guaranteed to get updates through October 2022 and the Pixel 5 is guaranteed to get updates through October 2023. I love my 2XL but the lack of updates after this year is the primary reason I am moving to the Pixel5.

for reference https://support.google.com/pixelphon.../4457705?hl=en
    10-18-2020 10:01 AM