Comments on pixel 5 from the users

vhl71

Sep 9, 2013
Visit site
Do we have a thread for users' comments/reviews of Pixel 5. I see a thread for YouTube and other professional reviews of pixel 5.

I'd like to hear from normal users from this forum on their experience with pixel 5

Please delete if there's another thread for this already.

billythewhizz

Dec 19, 2014
Visit site
I received my Pixel 5 on release day and my initial feelings were that it's a great little phone. The camera was everything you expect from a pixel. However as the days went on I found I was starting to dislike the size {too small} and build quality. Pics started appearing online of the screen lift and although mine wasn't suffering from that problem it was gathering dust around the edge which was difficult to remove. There were problems with running another launcher especially Nova which is my favourite. . Then the OnePlus 8t was released. That was it for me. I've binned the P5 and am now the proud owner of an 8t. Much better phone and cheaper too. I still have my 3xl which is slowly getting the P5 features so no loss. Google needs to do better. With luck the P5 pro rumours are true and it will be everything the P5 isn't.

aecgda

Nov 15, 2015
Visit site
I received my Pixel 5 on release day and my initial feelings were that it's a great little phone. The camera was everything you expect from a pixel. However as the days went on I found I was starting to dislike the size {too small} and build quality. Pics started appearing online of the screen lift and although mine wasn't suffering from that problem it was gathering dust around the edge which was difficult to remove. There were problems with running another launcher especially Nova which is my favourite. . Then the OnePlus 8t was released. That was it for me. I've binned the P5 and am now the proud owner of an 8t. Much better phone and cheaper too. I still have my 3xl which is slowly getting the P5 features so no loss. Google needs to do better. With luck the P5 pro rumours are true and it will be everything the P5 isn't.

I've had none of that and find it an excellent phone. Battery lasts forever.

Torisen1

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
Okay I've had mine for about 5 hours now and I'm loving it. I was a little worried about size coming from the 4XL but I shouldn't have been, it's a joy in hand. No screen gap and the speakers sound fine to me. It does not feel hollow to me. It will be a couple of days before I get a good feel for the battery, downloading so many things today.

SwitchBoardDj

Aug 21, 2019
Visit site
I ended up going to Best Buy Saturday and checked out the new iPhones and Pixel 5. I was a little undecided at first.

I held the new iPhones 12/Pro and didn't like the "box type" feeling. It was also a lot heavier than the Pixel 5. I didn't see much of a difference compared to my 11 Pro except the Phone design.

I picked up the Pixel and it felt much better in the hand. The back of the phone felt nice, the screen was nice and the camera was great. The speakers didn't bother me because I always use a bluetooth device anyways. But they aren't bad either. The Pixel was just overall better for me and for less money. I paid $650...much better than paying 999.99 and I got a charger and cable in box too...Google Ftw!!!

neil74

Mar 12, 2016
Visit site
I have had mine a couple of weeks.

+ Camera still excellent. Most consistent android camera IMO.
+ Nice screen and finally an edge to edge display
+ Nice to have a proper FPS on the back again
+ More compact size is nice

- 128GB is only boderline enough storage for me
- Feels a little unremarkable vs. other phones
- Auto brightness errs on the dim side most of the time.
- No face unlock (I prefer a FPS but both would be nice)
- Wireless charging is slow and finicky
- Camera hardware showing it's age. Still the most consistent droid as I said but the new iPhones are better and under certain conditions other droids are better too.

sulla1965

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
Honestly its a terrific little phone. But I already have a Pixel 3 as a backup phone. And I don't see the P5 as that much of an upgrade. So I'm going to be selling the P5. Its a real shame they didn't come out with an XL version this year.

bcfour

Dec 24, 2010
Visit site
Battery life is amazing so far. I'm loving the phone (coming from 3XL). Even though it's not a major difference in screen size, I do wish it was an XL phone. I'm mostly used to it, but I do prefer a slightly larger form factor.

YankInDaSouth

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Honestly its a terrific little phone. But I already have a Pixel 3 as a backup phone. And I don't see the P5 as that much of an upgrade. So I'm going to be selling the P5. Its a real shame they didn't come out with an XL version this year.
I have a Pixel 3 as well and the brighter screen, better battery life and reverse wireless charging have me considering the 5. Would love to hear more of your thoughts on the 5 vs 3 and why you're opting to sell the 5

sulla1965

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
I have a Pixel 3 as well and the brighter screen, better battery life and reverse wireless charging have me considering the 5. Would love to hear more of your thoughts on the 5 vs 3 and why you're opting to sell the 5

Well screen brightness and reverse wireless charge isn't a big concern for me. But except for the slightly larger screen size, using the P5 just felt no different than using the pixel 3. But that's just me. I'm not saying anything was bad about the P5, its just wasn't enough to keep me interested ATM.

ezdoit

Sep 20, 2019
Visit site
Well screen brightness and reverse wireless charge isn't a big concern for me. But except for the slightly larger screen size, using the P5 just felt no different than using the pixel 3. But that's just me. I'm not saying anything was bad about the P5, its just wasn't enough to keep me interested ATM.

I came from a Pixel 4 - agree with this - still have a few days to decide if I keep the 5 or not - no separation or speaker issues on the 5

slab0meat

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
As I mentioned in another thread, I love the screen size and am not an XL-phone kind of guy.

I had early concern as when I restored data to this new phone, it definitely felt hotter than I'd expected. I'm happy to say I haven't had that happen since.

And not that I'm some heavy-duty user, but battery life has been a nice surprise.

garyll

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Just got mine yesterday, coming from Pixel 2XL. My first impressions were not good, it looked and felt so small compared to my 2XL that I felt like I had downgraded. Also took a while to fix some glitches, like I use Nova Launcher and Pixel kept going back to the Pixel Launcher after I opened an app. (I have the fix if anyone needs it.)
It also seemed too responsive at times, like just moving the phone a little bit would bring down the notification shade. But after playing around with some settings, I'm getting more used to it now. Haven't had much chance to check out the camera/video but it looks great, and looking forward to the Wait on Hold thing next time I call my health insurance company.
I adjusted the font size so the screen size is pretty much the same as my 2XL, so it's just a matter of getting used to the smaller physical size. Today I put my Totallee case on it and that has bulked it up enough that I'm now leaning towards keeping it. If I change my mind I'll probably just go back to the 2XL and shop around between the Pixel 4A and the Galaxy S20, I have a few days to decide so I'll see how it goes.

sulla1965

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
[/U][/B]

I came from a Pixel 4 - agree with this - still have a few days to decide if I keep the 5 or not - no separation or speaker issues on the 5

The only thing the P5 IMO has over the regular P4 will be battery life. But the P5 has does have a finger print scanner and that may be a difference for some.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Okay I've had mine for about 5 hours now and I'm loving it. I was a little worried about size coming from the 4XL but I shouldn't have been, it's a joy in hand. No screen gap and the speakers sound fine to me. It does not feel hollow to me. It will be a couple of days before I get a good feel for the battery, downloading so many things today.

Sounds like it's a great phone to use! So glad that it feels good in the hand! :)

dmxjago

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
I upgraded from a pixel 4xl and no regrets this phone is everything I expected. For my usage literally feels as snappy as the p4xl can't really notice a difference except the picture processing takes like an extra second "no deal breaker" but everything else Im enjoying especially the smaller physical size ice been wanting a smaller form factor for a bit but didn't want bad battery. I also love he ultra wide lens + the bezeless display. For me this phone net my expectations.