To trade or not to trade...that is the question

HyperM3

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
Im used to just trading in my old phone towards the next phone and just being done with it.

However, this time Im looking to trade in a 3XL and only getting $168 from Google for it. I know I could probably get more selling on my own but theres going to be an overwhelming amount of them on the market in a few days so it probably will garner a lot of lowball offers or sit there forever anyway.

Since the new phone isnt another $1k phone like previously and Im using the 0% financing from Google, Im debating if I should just skip the trade in and keep my 3XL as a backup phone in case of anything.

What do you think?

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Honestly, I would take that deal. I was curious about that as well for myself. I have 4 monthly payments left on my 3XL from Verizon. Whether to upgrade from Google or Verizon. I think that the trade-in value for my phone from Verizon is $120 or something like that.

HyperM3

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
Honestly, I would take that deal. I was curious about that as well for myself. I have 4 monthly payments left on my 3XL from Verizon. Whether to upgrade from Google or Verizon. I think that the trade-in value for my phone from Verizon is $120 or something like that.

My only concern is if I have any issues with the P5 and have to send it back or wait for a new one and I dont have anything to use in the meantime. Or, if I dont like it at all and send it back for a refund but have already shipped mine in as a trade, I wont get it back. This is the first time Im ever debating having a backup phone that wont cost me much.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
My only concern is if I have any issues with the P5 and have to send it back or wait for a new one and I dont have anything to use in the meantime. Or, if I dont like it at all and send it back for a refund but have already shipped mine in as a trade, I wont get it back. This is the first time Im ever debating having a backup phone that wont cost me much.
Yeah I hear you dude. It's a good concern. I mean when I traded my older Galaxy s8 into Verizon. I only got like 40 bucks for cuz the screen was cracked. But getting a decent amount for your phone like $115 or $120 changes the game. I'm guessing you don't have any other older Android phones at home that you could use?

HyperM3

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
Yeah I hear you dude. It's a good concern. I mean when I traded my older Galaxy s8 into Verizon. I only got like 40 bucks for cuz the screen was cracked. But getting a decent amount for your phone like $115 or $120 changes the game. I'm guessing you don't have any other older Android phones at home that you could use?

I have every Nexus phone mint in the box in my closet, does that count? I do want to sell all of them though too. Someday Ill get around to it. But to your question, Ive traded in every Pixel on for the next one.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I have every Nexus phone mint in the box in my closet, does that count? I do want to sell all of them though too. Someday Ill get around to it. But to your question, Ive traded in every Pixel on for the next one.
Yeah that makes sense dude. I mean if you want to use one of your old Nexus phones as a backup you could do that and trade in your Pixel 3 XL, and get the Pixel 5.

HyperM3

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
Yeah that makes sense dude. I mean if you want to use one of your old Nexus phones as a backup you could do that and trade in your Pixel 3 XL, and get the Pixel 5.
I suppose but again, for $168 I might as well just keep it. If the P5 was in the $1k range again that would be a nice little chunk taken off. $699 is more palatable.

ytwokc5

Feb 25, 2012
Visit site
Verizon will give you $350 to trade-in your 3xl. You have to select the pixel 5 and next to Promotion click on see details. I got $350 for trading in my 2xl on a pixel5. You do have to be on an unlimited plan to qualify.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I suppose but again, for $168 I might as well just keep it. If the P5 was in the $1k range again that would be a nice little chunk taken off. $699 is more palatable.
Yeah true that. I mean for me, once I'm ready to upgrade to the Pixel 5, I'm selling it and I'll trade my Pixel 3 XL in and hopefully by then Google or Verizon will have a discount on that phone itself to make the phone cheaper and to make the monthly payments lower of course.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Verizon will give you $350 to trade-in your 3xl. You have to select the pixel 5 and next to Promotion click on see details. I got $350 for trading in my 2xl on a pixel5. You do have to be on an unlimited plan to qualify.
interesting, I'm on an unlimited plan with my Pixel 3XL, but when I click the trade in button on Verizon's website, it only said my trade in value was 115 or 120 or so.

Scott337

Apr 22, 2017
Visit site
If you don't have a backup phone now and can live without the $168 off a new phone, I would keep the 3XL as a backup. That's just my 2 cents. With 4 of us in the family with smart phones I always have at least 3 old phones available as backups. And that has come in handy many, many times over the years.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
If you don't have a backup phone now and can live without the $168 off a new phone, I would keep the 3XL as a backup. That's just my 2 cents. With 4 of us in the family with smart phones I always have at least 3 old phones available as backups. And that has come in handy many, many times over the years.
Yep yep very good point.

sulla1965

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
Yes, but you'd have to factory reset when trading it in. So you'd have to set it up again. But yes it should be the same phone you sent in.

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site

Always a good idea to have a backup phone. They come in handy when you least expect it. My power went out last week for 7 hours I had no power. My main phone battery was very low and could not last. Put my sim in my back up and no problem. That trade in value is not worth risking not having a backup IMO

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Always a good idea to have a backup phone. They come in handy when you least expect it. My power went out last week for 7 hours I had no power. My main phone battery was very low and could not last. Put my sim in my back up and no problem. That trade in value is not worth risking not having a backup IMO
Yuppers.. I'm actually calling verizon up now to ask about the deal myself with the trade-in promotion. I'll see how it goes, and update everyone.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci