So Far, So Good. Only...

AnnDroid

May 19, 2010
Visit site
I'm coming from the P2XL. I've pursued large phones since the huge HTC EVO and then the Note 2. Smaller phones look 'cute' to me. Awh, isn't it adorable?

This P5 has the same size display as my current P2XL, it's just a cute size to hold.

Will I get used to this size or end up with the Note 20 Ultra? I do love Pixels, just wish there was a larger one.

Scott337

Apr 22, 2017
Visit site
My wife's Pixel 5 arrived today. Compared to my Pixel 4XL it does look tiny, even though it's not really a lot smaller. It just looks so much smaller at first glance. Maybe that's the problem? We have all grown so used to these "XL" and "Ultra" phones that we forgot what a normal size phone is supposed to be?

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Well, I pre-ordered the sage green Pixel 5! Compared to my Pixel 3 XL, you cannot wait to see the size difference, And all the other hardware differences. AKa 90 Hertz refresh rate for the screen, 8 gigs of RAM, much much improved battery life, and wide angle camera lens etc! Congrats to your wife on having hers arrived today. My Pixel 5 is backwards till December first week. Oh well...

gebco

Nov 27, 2015
Visit site
The aspect ratio would suggest the P5 screen is narrower than the 2XL. Do you notice this, especially with the keyboard?

I'm coming from the P2XL. I've pursued large phones since the huge HTC EVO and then the Note 2. Smaller phones look 'cute' to me. Awh, isn't it adorable?

This P5 has the same size display as my current P2XL, it's just a cute size to hold.

Will I get used to this size or end up with the Note 20 Ultra? I do love Pixels, just wish there was a larger one.

mikejs78

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
I noticed it when I first powered it up coming from a 2XL. Now one day in, I don't notice it at all. The screen is superior in brightness and color, the 90hz display is buttery smooth, the colors are vibrant, those are the things I noticed and that jump out at me. Not the slightly narrower screen...

whatboutbob

Oct 22, 2020
Visit site

Funnily enough, upgrading from the p2 (non-XL) to the p5 I was struck by how similar in size they are, while the increased screen size was a delight!

AnnDroid

May 19, 2010
Visit site
The aspect ratio would suggest the P5 screen is narrower than the 2XL. Do you notice this, especially with the keyboard?
You are so right. I'm struggling getting used to the keyboard. It's that tiny feeling again. I swipe to type and I'm getting incorrect words more often.

ChuckG73

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
Google finally got it right. This phone is everything it should be and still has the best camera. I tried to drain the battery yesterday and could not kill it. I made the right decision getting rid of my S20 and coming back to the Pixel

AnnDroid

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Google finally got it right. This phone is everything it should be and still has the best camera. I tried to drain the battery yesterday and could not kill it. I made the right decision getting rid of my S20 and coming back to the Pixel
I'm considering the Note 29 Ultra. I think i remember you having Pixel XLs previously, as opposed to the Pixels. Besides the camera, which the Ultra shouldn't have the same problems the S20 has, why is the P5 good for you?

cknobman

May 15, 2018
Visit site

Why did you get rid of the S20? Just curious how that was the "right" decision.
Dont really see any areas the Pixel just clearly makes a case to be that great. (FTR I just point and shoot for pictures, not a photophile)

ChuckG73

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
I have owned every Nexus and Pixel phone and brought the S20 when I got rid of my 4XL. This phone is the best of all these phones.

Man how I missed the rear finger print sensor, much better than face unlock during covid and the tech for in screen finger print sensor cant touch this.

Size is perfect for one handed use and is smaller and lighter than the S20.

Battery as of today, I have had it off the charger for 8 hours, with 3 hours and 40 minutes on screen time and sitting at 50%, I am being heavy on watching videos etc trying to see if I can kill it before I go to bed.

The speaker is good enough for what I use it for and the under glass speaker is great for phone calls and that about it.

In my opinion, this is one really nice phone and I have yet to find anything not to like, happy to answer any questions.

Last edited:

ChuckG73

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
I'm considering the Note 29 Ultra. I think i remember you having Pixel XLs previously, as opposed to the Pixels. Besides the camera, which the Ultra shouldn't have the same problems the S20 has, why is the P5 good for you?

Size, battery, camera, smoothness of screen, screen to body ratio, only thing I am missing is Samsung Pay

customshopkv1

Feb 26, 2020
Visit site
Interesting, I have the S20U and am considering getting the Pixel 5.

dannyro77

May 28, 2011
Visit site
I was wondering about other people's reaction to the screen size too. My wife and I got one and we both came from a Pixel 3 XL. The size difference is definitely recognizable, but I think I'm adjusting to it because I dont feel I miss it too much. Like another poster said, maybe we're so used to a big screen this feels off. The phone so far is great. I love every aspect of it. The battery is $%^& awesome. In regards to the batter, is it still recommended to charge to 80% and start a recharge when it reaches 40%, or is that cycling stuff old news?

slab0meat

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
Got mine yesterday and the screen is perfect. I've never bought an XL or oversized phone and don't want to. Loving this so far.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Got mine yesterday and the screen is perfect. I've never bought an XL or oversized phone and don't want to. Loving this so far.
I was wondering about other people's reaction to the screen size too. My wife and I got one and we both came from a Pixel 3 XL. The size difference is definitely recognizable, but I think I'm adjusting to it because I dont feel I miss it too much. Like another poster said, maybe we're so used to a big screen this feels off. The phone so far is great. I love every aspect of it. The battery is $%^& awesome. In regards to the batter, is it still recommended to charge to 80% and start a recharge when it reaches 40%, or is that cycling stuff old news?
So so happy to hear that! Can't wait to get mine first week of December! Coming from a Pixel 3 XL!

Zeekr

Oct 30, 2020
Visit site
I received my Pixel 5 on 10/29 and am returning it 10/30. Very disappointing coming from a Pixel 4 XL owner. Camera isn't noticeably better, battery was getting hot and draining quickly out of the box and definitely not worth the higher price. I was primarily interested in switching due to the re-introduction of biometric unlock vs the facial recognition (due to Covid and wearing a mask all the time) and the upgraded camera but it's certainly not an upgrade and Google has really dropped the ball on this phone imo. I have 2 pixel 2 XL's and a Pixel 4 XL on my plan and have been happy until the 5. Hopefully they'll come up with better hardware/processor soon - or an answer to the facial recognition (it's annoying to have to go through a keyed pass code to unlock while wearing the mask). My experience may be a one-off but I'm not impressed.

dannyro77

May 28, 2011
Visit site
Another great thing I noticed was "screen attention" setting. My Pixel 3 XL was running android 11 and didnt have this feature, so I guess its native to later pixels? I love the screen not going dark after a minute of timeout. I realize i could set the timeout longer but this way I dont have to!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roshanchoudhary