Where's the picture thread?

john_v

Q&A Team
Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
Really nice cool breeze blowing this morning. Coffee, Kindle, and kids out on the porch (although they're not really "kids" so much anymore but they'll always be 'kids')PXL_20220813_152258398.jpg

Grabber5.0

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
USS Alabama with a storm rolling in. Had to get out of dodge before we got soaked and had to drive in it.
f46486e2daa70954322247fdebe241e5.jpg

Grabber5.0

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
Great photo!

The guns on the ship look huge.

What are those vehicles that have tank chains but aren't tanks?
Thanks! Without looking it up, I believe those are 16" guns. Absolutely massive artillery shells! I didn't check out the vehicles as time was limited, but I imagine they are armored (or otherwise) personnel carriers.

Edit: I looked it up, and yes, assuming it's an Iowa class battleship, they are the 16" guns. Edit again: it's a South Dakota class ship, but they are indeed 16" guns.

john_v

Q&A Team
Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
Great photo!

The guns on the ship look huge.

What are those vehicles that have tank chains but aren't tanks?

I've stood on the deck of the USS Missouri in Pearl Harbor...the guns are absolutely massive.

My guess on the other vehicle is an Armored Personnel Carrier

Grabber5.0

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
I've stood on the deck of the USS Missouri in Pearl Harbor...the guns are absolutely massive.

I really wish we'd had time to tour the ship. I hadn't planned to drive by the Alabama, but we changed our route home and drove through Mobile, and I had to stop and check it out. Unfortunately we were headed to visit our daughter's best friend, and had another 3.5 hrs to go, plus the rain coming in would have put a damper on it. If I ever muster up the courage to ride on a plane that far, Pearl Harbor will definitely be one of our stops.

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Thanks! Without looking it up, I believe those are 16" guns. Absolutely massive artillery shells! I didn't check out the vehicles as time was limited, but I imagine they are armored (or otherwise) personnel carriers.

I looked it up, and yes, assuming it's an Iowa class battleship, they are the 16" guns.
You're welcome.

The armored personnel carrier looks as claustrophobic as a tank, maybe even worse, since there would be more men inside.

That would have to be powerful to be on one of those ships when the guns were fired.

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
I really wish we'd had time to tour the ship. I hadn't planned to drive by the Alabama, but we changed our route home and drove through Mobile, and I had to stop and check it out. Unfortunately we were headed to visit our daughter's best friend, and had another 3.5 hrs to go, plus the rain coming in would have put a damper on it.
I'd definitely love to tour a huge ship like that. The part that I'd be most interested in would be the spots where the shells and gunpowder are put into the guns.

I'd also be interested in seeing the place where the engine of the ship is kept. It has to be massive too, just to generate enough power to move the ship.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
When she saw me pull out my phone and aim it at her for a picture, Gracie decided to start posing.

Attachments

• 12436.jpg
    12436.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 11

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
batsam