My real world review of the Pixel 5!

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Hey everyone, so about a week ago I finally received my sage green Pixel 5 from Verizon! I thought it was going to be back ordered until December 2nd but I thankfully got it a few weeks earlier! I wanted to share my thoughts and feelings towards the new Pixel 5 with everyone else here!

Design: My older phone that I'm coming from is a Pixel 3 XL. The reason I originally bought my Pixel 3 XL was because at the time I wanted a really big screen for media consumption, stereo speakers, but mostly the bigger 3,4 mAh battery! Now if I'm at first, we all know that batteries when they're brand new last longer. That goes without saying, however, within the past that's a 6-8 months my 3XL's battery got noticeably weaker unfortunately. The other real problem that I was starting to run into with my Pixel 3XL was that with a 6.4-in screen, and made out of glass on the back, the phone itself was very big / white to hold. I didn't mind the heavy weight of it so much as the size of it. I tried to one-hand the phone at work a few times and I dropped it twice with my bumper case on it. The phone is definitely not a one-handable phone lol it's definitely a two-handed phone. Pixel 5's 6-in screen and made out of aluminum with the bio resin material on the back just feels perfect. It's shorter and narrower than my Pixel 3 XL is. It's also lighter. I can definitely notice a difference with that much much easier to one hand and it's much more comfortable in one hand and I can reach all corners of the screen with one hand.

Screen: My Pixel 3 XL 6.4-in screen resolution and brightness we're always great in my opinion. The notch although a lot of people hate it on it, was never an issue for me. never block my view, or got in the way at all. And it had the wide-angle selfie camera lens. What I did start to realize especially with the newer iPhone designs was that the screen to body ratio on the Ford engine of the Pixel 3 XL wasn't the greatest. Now of course that's because of the stereo speakers and the earpiece on the phone but still. Pixel 5's screen is slightly more beautiful to me! what I love the most is the fact that it has gorilla Glass six on it for durability, and the screen to body ratio is perfect! The punch out selfie camera on the front looks great, and all the colors look sharp and vivid to my eyes. My I never actually thought I would notice a difference between a 60 hz display panel and a 90 hz panel, but the smooth display does look a little nicer and More beautiful even to my eyes! I can definitely tell a slight improvement and smoothness which I love. The screen the body ratio really means that apps and pictures really go edge to edge from bottom to top of the screen. You never know how beautiful that looks until you actually are using it. I will admit that when I want my wife last year her new iPhone 10R I got jealous of the screen the body ratio and how much screen real estate she actually had. Lol.

Performance: once again, on my Pixel 3 XL, I never noticed any sluggishness or lag or freezing. And that was with 4 gigs of RAM. I know the Pixel 4's came with 6 gigs of RAM as also the pixel for a 5G comes with 6 gigs. With 8 gigs of RAM from multitasking I'm not even even pushing my phone at all. Everything is smooth and great for multitasking.

Battery: obviously, this was one of my main priorities of why I wanted to upgrade my phone. Like I said, my Pixel 3 XL's battery was wearing down very quickly. And that was with my moderate to light usage. I'm not a very heavy user anymore. I only have one puzzle game on my phone, and one or two work apps, that's it. Most of what I do is general browsing on the internet and music Spotify playback. I watch all my YouTube at home via Roku. With that being said, having a 4,080 mAh battery as at least a day and after today usage per full charge on moderate to light use, is wonderful and quite honestly exactly what I was looking for! Once again, I'm not a heavy user, and I know that most of us are used to charging our phone at least once a day. and moving off a charger. That's also ridiculous to me. A phone's battery should last at least 8 hours in my opinion.

Camera: well, need a say more? it's great. In the future, I'm sure Google will use a bigger lens. However, pictures are beautiful I haven't even fully tested them but I have all the faith and confidence in the world that the pictures and the video will look great to me.

Android auto connection: so I'm sure most people don't even have this as a consideration for the phone. When I upgrade my Pixel 3 XL from Android 10 to Android 11, for some reason a lot of times when I would make the initial connection in my Honda Accord sport To start up Android Auto, the connection would fail which got really annoying and very frustrating. I even called Google support on this a couple of times. I'm not quite sure why it was happening. With my new phone, the most I have to plug it in is twice and it makes the connection successfully.. most of the time when I plug the pixel 5 into my car now it successfully connects into Android Auto on the very first connection which is the way it should be. Not quite sure what was happening with my older 3XL. Sometimes it would take 10 connection attempts to make a good connection.

Fit and feel:since I put the rhino shield in my bumper case on my older Pixel 3 XL, it got less slippery to hold in the hand. with the Pixel 5, with this bio resin material on the back of the phone, it's not slippery at all. Will I buy a case for it? maybe in the future, but right now I'm really enjoying it naked. It looks great and it feels good. And it doesn't leave fingerprints shockingly.

I hope everyone has enjoyed my review and found it useful to some extent! We all watch these tech YouTubers review phones but it's their business to review phones. just like everyone else here, this is my only daily driver. so I figured I'd give a nice realistic real-world review of the phone.

dmxjago

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
Hey everyone, so about a week ago I finally received my sage green Pixel 5 from Verizon! I thought it was going to be back ordered until December 2nd but I thankfully got it a few weeks earlier! I wanted to share my thoughts and feelings towards the new Pixel 5 with everyone else here!

Design: My older phone that I'm coming from is a Pixel 3 XL. The reason I originally bought my Pixel 3 XL was because at the time I wanted a really big screen for media consumption, stereo speakers, but mostly the bigger 3,4 mAh battery! Now if I'm at first, we all know that batteries when they're brand new last longer. That goes without saying, however, within the past that's a 6-8 months my 3XL's battery got noticeably weaker unfortunately. The other real problem that I was starting to run into with my Pixel 3XL was that with a 6.4-in screen, and made out of glass on the back, the phone itself was very big / white to hold. I didn't mind the heavy weight of it so much as the size of it. I tried to one-hand the phone at work a few times and I dropped it twice with my bumper case on it. The phone is definitely not a one-handable phone lol it's definitely a two-handed phone. Pixel 5's 6-in screen and made out of aluminum with the bio resin material on the back just feels perfect. It's shorter and narrower than my Pixel 3 XL is. It's also lighter. I can definitely notice a difference with that much much easier to one hand and it's much more comfortable in one hand and I can reach all corners of the screen with one hand.

Screen: My Pixel 3 XL 6.4-in screen resolution and brightness we're always great in my opinion. The notch although a lot of people hate it on it, was never an issue for me. never block my view, or got in the way at all. And it had the wide-angle selfie camera lens. What I did start to realize especially with the newer iPhone designs was that the screen to body ratio on the Ford engine of the Pixel 3 XL wasn't the greatest. Now of course that's because of the stereo speakers and the earpiece on the phone but still. Pixel 5's screen is slightly more beautiful to me! what I love the most is the fact that it has gorilla Glass six on it for durability, and the screen to body ratio is perfect! The punch out selfie camera on the front looks great, and all the colors look sharp and vivid to my eyes. My I never actually thought I would notice a difference between a 60 hz display panel and a 90 hz panel, but the smooth display does look a little nicer and More beautiful even to my eyes! I can definitely tell a slight improvement and smoothness which I love. The screen the body ratio really means that apps and pictures really go edge to edge from bottom to top of the screen. You never know how beautiful that looks until you actually are using it. I will admit that when I want my wife last year her new iPhone 10R I got jealous of the screen the body ratio and how much screen real estate she actually had. Lol.

Performance: once again, on my Pixel 3 XL, I never noticed any sluggishness or lag or freezing. And that was with 4 gigs of RAM. I know the Pixel 4's came with 6 gigs of RAM as also the pixel for a 5G comes with 6 gigs. With 8 gigs of RAM from multitasking I'm not even even pushing my phone at all. Everything is smooth and great for multitasking.

Battery: obviously, this was one of my main priorities of why I wanted to upgrade my phone. Like I said, my Pixel 3 XL's battery was wearing down very quickly. And that was with my moderate to light usage. I'm not a very heavy user anymore. I only have one puzzle game on my phone, and one or two work apps, that's it. Most of what I do is general browsing on the internet and music Spotify playback. I watch all my YouTube at home via Roku. With that being said, having a 4,080 mAh battery as at least a day and after today usage per full charge on moderate to light use, is wonderful and quite honestly exactly what I was looking for! Once again, I'm not a heavy user, and I know that most of us are used to charging our phone at least once a day. and moving off a charger. That's also ridiculous to me. A phone's battery should last at least 8 hours in my opinion.

Camera: well, need a say more? it's great. In the future, I'm sure Google will use a bigger lens. However, pictures are beautiful I haven't even fully tested them but I have all the faith and confidence in the world that the pictures and the video will look great to me.

Android auto connection: so I'm sure most people don't even have this as a consideration for the phone. When I upgrade my Pixel 3 XL from Android 10 to Android 11, for some reason a lot of times when I would make the initial connection in my Honda Accord sport To start up Android Auto, the connection would fail which got really annoying and very frustrating. I even called Google support on this a couple of times. I'm not quite sure why it was happening. With my new phone, the most I have to plug it in is twice and it makes the connection successfully.. most of the time when I plug the pixel 5 into my car now it successfully connects into Android Auto on the very first connection which is the way it should be. Not quite sure what was happening with my older 3XL. Sometimes it would take 10 connection attempts to make a good connection.

Fit and feel:since I put the rhino shield in my bumper case on my older Pixel 3 XL, it got less slippery to hold in the hand. with the Pixel 5, with this bio resin material on the back of the phone, it's not slippery at all. Will I buy a case for it? maybe in the future, but right now I'm really enjoying it naked. It looks great and it feels good. And it doesn't leave fingerprints shockingly.

I hope everyone has enjoyed my review and found it useful to some extent! We all watch these tech YouTubers review phones but it's their business to review phones. just like everyone else here, this is my only daily driver. so I figured I'd give a nice realistic real-world review of the phone.
Nice detailed review. Glad you are enjoying your new p5. I've had mine for about a month and love it.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Nice detailed review. Glad you are enjoying your new p5. I've had mine for about a month and love it.
Hey, dude, yeah I knew I was going to like the phone. But so far of course I absolutely love it. I appreciate your support for the review as always! yeah everything about the phone is just wonderful. I forgot to mention though in the review that for network and activity, in mobile data network settings I turned off global setting and I'm only on LTE/CDMA. Like I told you at work there's a bit of nationwide sub-65G from Verizon, but it's not really much faster than LTE and it drains the battery a bit faster. So I just shut it off for now.

dmxjago

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
Hey, dude, yeah I knew I was going to like the phone. But so far of course I absolutely love it. I appreciate your support for the review as always! yeah everything about the phone is just wonderful. I forgot to mention though in the review that for network and activity, in mobile data network settings I turned off global setting and I'm only on LTE/CDMA. Like I told you at work there's a bit of nationwide sub-65G from Verizon, but it's not really much faster than LTE and it drains the battery a bit faster. So I just shut it off for now.
Yeah right now it's pointless 99% of the time. Too bad I can't turn it off on google Fi. There is no way to turn it off or I probably would as well. I bet that will reflect even better battery.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Yeah right now it's pointless 99% of the time. Too bad I can't turn it off on google Fi. There is no way to turn it off or I probably would as well. I bet that will reflect even better battery.
Yeah trust me I hear you! at first I was like oh cool it says 5G on top of my phone That's awesome. That's what they want you to think hahaha. Until you start seeing the slow battery drain. Yeah, I'm glad that this phone is future proof in that regard so when 5G is more readily available in this area I'll turn it back on of course.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87