Always on ambient display

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
so, just out of curiosity, how many of us here use the always on ambient display instead of lighting up the lock screen for always looking at the weather and notifications and the time? I do realize that it uses a more battery though... just out of curiosity... Thanks everyone!!

dmxjago

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
I never really cared to use that option to be honest. I'll just tap the screen or lift it when I feel like looking at my notifications. I mean it's a great feature and I know people love it but to me I don't care much for it especially since it uses battery. Although I'm not worried with the battery life on this phone and maybe it's anxiety from just ok battery life on the past and sort of thought myself not to use it. Who knows maybe I should give it a try and start using it again to see if I like it.

From what I read in think most people prefer it on vs off.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I have used it on every phone since it was introduced in 2013.
Been using always on display since it was introduced years ago. Never noticed any battery drain.
Oh, got you guys. I was thinking of doing a battery drain with the 4,080 mAh battery with the always-on ambient display turned on to see if I can notice any battery drain . The only problem that I've noticed with the always on ambient display is you can't easily flick open the pixel buds case to see the battery power. You have to either light up the lock screen, or unlock the phone. But I suppose that's a minor thing lol.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I never really cared to use that option to be honest. I'll just tap the screen or lift it when I feel like looking at my notifications. I mean it's a great feature and I know people love it but to me I don't care much for it especially since it uses battery. Although I'm not worried with the battery life on this phone and maybe it's anxiety from just ok battery life on the past and sort of thought myself not to use it. Who knows maybe I should give it a try and start using it again to see if I like it.

From what I read in think most people prefer it on vs off.
Hey dude, yeah that's what people are saying. I've been testing my battery with the option turned off. And yet tapping the screen once the highlight the lock screen for notifications works great. That's just why I'm curious overall.

dmxjago

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
It definitely drains battery you can see the % under battery settings, but it's not omg significant battery drain by all means.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
It definitely drains battery you can see the % under battery settings, but it's not omg significant battery drain by all means.
yeah I hear you dude. I mean I think for now I'm still going to keep it off I just want to know what everyone else's opinions and take on it was. I like to be able to just tap on the lock screen to see the battery percentages of my case and my pixel buds versus always having to unlock the phone even if it's so damn easy lol...

dmxjago

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
yeah I hear you dude. I mean I think for now I'm still going to keep it off I just want to know what everyone else's opinions and take on it was. I like to be able to just tap on the lock screen to see the battery percentages of my case and my pixel buds versus always having to unlock the phone even if it's so damn easy lol...
I just turned it on and going to use it for a few days. I disabled the "wake screen for notifications" everytime a new notification comes in since having the always on turned on I don't think there is a need for the screen to actually fully turn on.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I just turned it on and going to use it for a few days. I disabled the "wake screen for notifications" everytime a new notification comes in since having the always on turned on I don't think there is a need for the screen to actually fully turn on.
True that man, well, let me know what you notice for battery usage you know what I mean?

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Sure thing. I'll start monitoring it after a full charge to see how much % of the battery gets used.
Thanks dude, that would be wonderful! I appreciate it as always you know that! I'm just curious because on my Pixel 3 XL, I always always use always on ambient display even on the weaker battery and you're right under battery usage first full system apps, I did see screen at like 5 or 6% every battery charge cycle.

dmxjago

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
Thanks dude, that would be wonderful! I appreciate it as always you know that! I'm just curious because on my Pixel 3 XL, I always always use always on ambient display even on the weaker battery and you're right under battery usage first full system apps, I did see screen at like 5 or 6% every battery charge cycle.
No problem.

Scott337

Apr 22, 2017
Visit site
On my Pixel 4XL it's used 2% today, since 5:30 AM. 5 hours and 7 minutes of activity, and only 2% of battery. Not too shabby in my opinion.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
On my Pixel 4XL it's used 2% today, since 5:30 AM. 5 hours and 7 minutes of activity, and only 2% of battery. Not too shabby in my opinion.
I mean, in the future, if that doesn't use too much battery, then I might turn it back on. I just want to save the most amount of battery cuz I'm so anal and I love getting the most charge out of my battery.. lol

Scott337

Apr 22, 2017
Visit site
I mean, in the future, if that doesn't use too much battery, then I might turn it back on. I just want to save the most amount of battery cuz I'm so anal and I love getting the most charge out of my battery.. lol
We all have our own habits, and wants & needs. And that's OK, and cool. I'm one of those people that don't fret about battery life....as long as my phone can get me through a day off the charger (5 AM - 10 PM) then I am happy. I'm going charge it while I sleep anyway.

dmxjago

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
We all have our own habits, and wants & needs. And that's OK, and cool. I'm one of those people that don't fret about battery life....as long as my phone can get me through a day off the charger (5 AM - 10 PM) then I am happy. I'm going charge it while I sleep anyway.
Great advice and I'm pretty much the same way.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Great advice and I'm pretty much the same way.
oh yeah absolutely. I mean other than my home analness about the battery, I'm the same way. As long as I have enough battery for what I need during the day at least then I'm fine. But getting the most out of my battery there's always a nice thing to do! I mean don't give me wrong, The battery is are freaking beast!

gebco

Nov 27, 2015
Visit site
I come from BlackBerry and a Pixel 2XL with the notification led, so I *need* the always on display.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robbyworkman1995