1 Day In - Very Impressed

kenorian

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
I've been through the Nexus 5, 6P, Pixel XL, 2XL, and 3XL (and most of the legacy Blackberries and Palm Treos, DROID RAXR MAX HD and Galaxy S5 - but that's another story)

First time since the Nexus 5 I didn't pre-order a device. Was quite please with my 3XL, skipped the 4 series, first time ever not getting a new phone every year. Been lurking here for a few months reading positive and negative feedback on the 5. Was happy to sit it out and then... for the first time in my life I smashed my screen. Although the phone was worse off than me, I got banged up when I tripped and fell (no alcohol involved).

No long review here, just a few comments.

Was so happy that as much transferred in under ten minutes with the transfer cable. I've got 230 or so apps so it took a while to enter all the passwords, set up bluetooth devices, enroll my work profile etc. But...

Amidst the not so positive posts of some folks - I'm happy with the screen brightness and overall display; the sound is just fine; 5G rocks; battery is the best I've had in a new phone. I'm loving the form factor. Always liked "big" phones. The exterior size is a pleasure and the screen size doesn't seem that much smaller compared to my 3XL.

Overall, very happy to continue with the Pixel line of products.

gebco

Nov 27, 2015
Visit site
We have all three of the newest Pixel phones in our household. I chose the 4a 5g for the form factor but do enjoy the 5 when I use it. The screen size is good, the sound is fine and it feels good in the hand.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Thank you so much for your review! So glad you are loving your Pixel 5! I too had a Nexus 5 and loved that phone. How are you finding the camera?

kenorian

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
Thank you so much for your review! So glad you are loving your Pixel 5! I too had a Nexus 5 and loved that phone. How are you finding the camera?

I've only played with it a little. Honestly, don't see huge differences so far from the 3. A couple sample videos I took were pretty cool. I've got to get out and about to put it through its paces.

Day two and... The battery life rocks.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I've only played with it a little. Honestly, don't see huge differences so far from the 3. A couple sample videos I took were pretty cool. I've got to get out and about to put it through its paces.

Day two and... The battery life rocks.

Makes sense! I get how you want to put it through the ringer a bit before you get a feel for the camera and video performance. So glad to hear that the battery life is excellent!

blackhawksfan75

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
Tomorrow will be two weeks with the Pixel 5. I didn't get a chance with the Nexus phones, so can't comment on that, but this is by far the best Google phone I have used. My main reasons why (not limited to) are the improved video quality, 'Now Playing' picks up songs a lot quicker, and the battery life. I work an office job, so I have the Pixel stand to act as a digital picture frame while charging, (which I thoroughly missed when I was using the Note 10+), so battery life was never really an issue during the week. However, I don't need to put the 5 on the charger nearly as much as I did during my time with the 4XL. And that phone had a decent battery. The sound is great for what suits my needs. No issues with hearing the person on the other end, when making phone calls. 5G isn't available in our area yet, so can't comment on that. Still super slick though on LTE.

Not going to lie; going from a 'phablet' type phone such as the Note 10 plus to the smaller form of the Pixel 5 has been a bit of an adjustment. The screen does feel more cramped, but being able to use a device one-handed again is nice.

What I do find odd though, the Pixel 5 is on 'end of life' status through my carrier even though it was just released in October. I know the 4a 5G is available, but it isn't compatible with the Pixel stand, which I wanted to reuse.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I've been through the Nexus 5, 6P, Pixel XL, 2XL, and 3XL (and most of the legacy Blackberries and Palm Treos, DROID RAXR MAX HD and Galaxy S5 - but that's another story)

First time since the Nexus 5 I didn't pre-order a device. Was quite please with my 3XL, skipped the 4 series, first time ever not getting a new phone every year. Been lurking here for a few months reading positive and negative feedback on the 5. Was happy to sit it out and then... for the first time in my life I smashed my screen. Although the phone was worse off than me, I got banged up when I tripped and fell (no alcohol involved).

No long review here, just a few comments.

Was so happy that as much transferred in under ten minutes with the transfer cable. I've got 230 or so apps so it took a while to enter all the passwords, set up bluetooth devices, enroll my work profile etc. But...

Amidst the not so positive posts of some folks - I'm happy with the screen brightness and overall display; the sound is just fine; 5G rocks; battery is the best I've had in a new phone. I'm loving the form factor. Always liked "big" phones. The exterior size is a pleasure and the screen size doesn't seem that much smaller compared to my 3XL.

Overall, very happy to continue with the Pixel line of products.

I completely agree with you! I've been a Nexus/Pixel user for years. I've only owned one Samsung Galaxy S8 phone. I ABSOLUTLEY LOVE stock Google s/w. I DO NOT NEED/WANT bloatware on my phone, don't have that many 3rd party apps on my phone, don't need the fastest hardware in the land. I NEED/WANT the smoothest and most fluid s/w experience from Google. First in line software updates, smooth system fluidity, etc. I have nothing to complain about whatsoever. As far as the phone screen seize of 6" with symmetrical bezels, it's perfect, quite honestly. My older Pixel 3 XL was a 6.4" touch screen. While it was great for media consumption, i just watch YouTube, and other TV services such as Sling TV on my Roku TV's. The screen is PERFECTLY one-handed and definitely very comfortable in one-hand! The battery is just a beast, no matter what you're doing with the phone. Great Great short review! Kudos to you!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781