One Change

Emperor

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Love my Pixel5. I have read a lot of love/hate comments about the phone. With a great camera, rear finger printer reader, snappy performance, and a crazy battery... how could it improve. If you could change one thing about the Pixel5, what is it ...?

My change would be screen size.

dmxjago

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
The screen size is one of the reasons I sold my pixel 4 xl and purchased the pixel 5. I would change the speakers. I miss my dual facing stereo speakers from the pixel 4 xl.

The pixel 5 does allow a little bit of stereo with the top in screen speaker but it has basically none to very low bass. It's still sound fine since the bottom speaker is full and loud, but that's the one thing I would change.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Great thread! Thank you for posting! I too think the Pixel 5 is pretty awesome. I actually miss the rear fingerprint scanner at times, and sometimes my finger will still go back there on my S10; expecting to be able to unlock my phone.

Im not sure what I would change about the Pixel 5, as I've heard it also has great battery life; and battery size, camera performance, and screen size are the usual things I'd recommend changing with current phones. But I love those things about the Pixel 5!

thewraith420

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
The screen size is one of the reasons I sold my pixel 4 xl and purchased the pixel 5. I would change the speakers. I miss my dual facing stereo speakers from the pixel 4 xl.

The pixel 5 does allow a little bit of stereo with the top in screen speaker but it has basically none to very low bass. It's still sound fine since the bottom speaker is full and loud, but that's the one thing I would change.
My thoughts exactly. I came from the 2xl those dual front facing speakers were nice. That said I lovey pixel 5 and the speakers are good enough for every day use and if I need better I just bluetooth to a speaker or headphones

gebco

Nov 27, 2015
Visit site
We ordered a 5 and a 4a5G. I chose the 4a5G and my wife chose the 5, each of us because of the size. Personally I think the 5 is an amazing combination of price and features. Nothing I'd change.

Daveya

Nov 19, 2020
Visit site
Screen size is why I bought it, finally we have a phone that fits in one hand and a battery that lasts all day and can be used without a case and won't pull your shorts down because it doesn't weigh a tonne

Speakers could be better

Kizzy Catwoman

Ambassador
Feb 2, 2017
Visit site
I love my 4a 5G. I chose that over the 5 cos of price. I also preferred the screen size. I think the speaker in the pIxel 5 put me off it.

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
Love my Pixel5. I have read a lot of love/hate comments about the phone. With a great camera, rear finger printer reader, snappy performance, and a crazy battery... how could it improve. If you could change one thing about the Pixel5, what is it ...?

My change would be screen size.

Well I have more than one:

1. Finally add a 3rd camera. No idea why it doesn't have wide + telephoto + ultrawide.
2. Actually improve camera image quality for once in what, 4 years? Since the Pixel or Pixel 2, the still image quality has been pretty much exactly the same with no improvement whatsoever. They've added new features like night sight, but the quality of the still images has been the same and the competition has surpassed them.
3. To achieve point #2, they need to upgrade the camera sensors instead of being lazy/cheap and using the same sensor they've been using for years.
4. Flagship processor. The 765G was a slow processor which hindered performance (had the camera app close when recording 4k video) and noticed stutter and lag throughout the UI
5. Top speaker to have an actual grille so the sound can come out rather than being trapped behind a sealed screen. Top speaker is absolutely awful for calls and speaker.
6. Revert the vibration motor to the one in the Pixel 4. Vibration in the 5 was mushy and really bad.
7. Get rid of the awful plastic exterior coating and go with a metal or a glass back. The plastic was the worst feeling texture.
8. Either get face unlock or an in-screen fingerprint scanner. On the back is so old and inconvenient when the phone is on the table and you just want to look at some info without having to pick the entire device up to unlock it.
9. 120hz screen. 90hz is creeping up on really cheap phones now, no reason it shouldn't be 120hz.
10. An XL version
11. Offer more than 3 years of software updates. Samsung is doing 4, no reason why Google can't.

I think that's a good start.

swebb

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site

1. Finally add a 3rd camera. No idea why it doesn't have wide + telephoto + ultrawide.
2. Actually improve camera image quality for once in what, 4 years? Since the Pixel or Pixel 2, the still image quality has been pretty much exactly the same with no improvement whatsoever. They've added new features like night sight, but the quality of the still images has been the same and the competition has surpassed them.
3. To achieve point #2, they need to upgrade the camera sensors instead of being lazy/cheap and using the same sensor they've been using for years.
4. Flagship processor. The 765G was a slow processor which hindered performance (had the camera app close when recording 4k video) and noticed stutter and lag throughout the UI
5. Top speaker to have an actual grille so the sound can come out rather than being trapped behind a sealed screen. Top speaker is absolutely awful for calls and speaker.
6. Revert the vibration motor to the one in the Pixel 4. Vibration in the 5 was mushy and really bad.
7. Get rid of the awful plastic exterior coating and go with a metal or a glass back. The plastic was the worst feeling texture.
8. Either get face unlock or an in-screen fingerprint scanner. On the back is so old and inconvenient when the phone is on the table and you just want to look at some info without having to pick the entire device up to unlock it.
9. 120hz screen. 90hz is creeping up on really cheap phones now, no reason it shouldn't be 120hz.
10. An XL version
11. Offer more than 3 years of software updates. Samsung is doing 4, no reason why Google can't.

The purpose of this thread is for people that actually like the P5 to identify one or two things they'd like to see added or improved. A laundry list from someone that hates the phone contributes nothing to this thread.

I would also like the top speaker improved. It's not terrible, but it would not have taken much to have speakers like the P4A5G.

dmxjago

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site

10. An XL version

Here you go again and totally missing the point of this post. Everything your stating is more for hardcore power users and even then this phone is decent. I consider myself a power user and i don't have any issues with performance. Below are some comments to your statements.

1. Finally add a 3rd camera. No idea why it doesn't have wide + telephoto + ultrawide. - maybe to keep the price where it is?

2. Actually improve camera image quality for once in what, 4 years? Since the Pixel or Pixel - agree, I'd like to see improvements to the lens (but still very competitive and for this year's phones they were meant to stay at a competitive lower pricer than most phones while providing the stock android experience and fast updates)

4.Flagship processor. The 765G was a slow processor which hindered performance (had the camera app close when recording 4k video) and noticed stutter and lag throughout the UI - this statement blows my mind because I use the camera at 4k60fps setting for video recording which i use everyday for creating memories with my family and dog. I'm yet to experience slowness or poor performance whatsoever. Also, i play Genshi Impact, fortnite and call of duty mobile with 0 issues. Those games require a lot of processing power. Also, you seem to be the only person reporting this and everyone else says the opposite of the performance coming out of this device. Again not top of the line processor but is fast enough and allowed for this price range especially for the average user which is what the original poster was targeting.

5. Top speaker to have an actual grille so the sound can come out rather than being trapped behind a sealed screen. Top speaker is absolutely awful for calls and speaker. - I would of loved to have a grill in the top speaker as well and it's not great when used as a speaker, but for calls using it as an ear piece sounds great and if I use it in speaker phone mode it also sounds great because the bottom speaker does a great job and is extremely loud and clear. Yes the top speaker is not amazing but you are stating that it's terrible for calls and speaker and that's a lie it gets the job done being loud and clear and totally misleading the original poster.

7. Get rid of the awful plastic exterior coating and go with a metal or a glass back. The plastic was the worst feeling texture - this here is preference. I love the built and would trade this built quality over a glass device any day because of how premium google made this feel. To me it feels nothing like plastic and love how durable this device is. Especially with the combined metal/plastic body + finish they added. Never thought in a million years I'd be able to carry a phone without a case again without being afraid of breaking it.

8. Either get face unlock or an in-screen fingerprint scanner. On the back is so old and inconvenient when the phone is on the table and you just want to look at some info without having to pick the entire device up to unlock it - again for this price range it doesn't include face unlock. Also for me i much prefer the back finger print sensor which is how I love unlocking my phone especially when it's in my pocket most of the time. (This is preference) and inside screen sensors are known to be slower + finger prints.

9. 120hz screen. 90hz is creeping up on really cheap phones now, no reason it shouldn't be 120hz. - again for this price range why complain about a nice fast 90hz display? I much rather have 90hz and have great battery life then 120hz and meh battery. After all this isn't the largest battery on a phone due to its size so 90hz is an excellent choice. Now if this device was consider a true flagship like the pixel 4 was consider then I would agree with you.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
May be 3 lens system and updated camera sensor hardware. Otherwise I do generally like what they have done with Pixel 5 in general with overall focus on battery life. I for one love the smaller size, it's good to have XL option as well but if they make the smaller versions as good as Pixel 5 every year then I'm all for it.

srgonu

Dec 30, 2016
Visit site
Flagship processor (optional), dedicated camera processor for faster processing of images and longer updates (4 years) and am good with everything else.

Scott337

Apr 22, 2017
Visit site
The only change I would like to see would have been a larger XL option. I love the phone, just wish there was a larger option available. But I do understand that most people love the current size & current form factor.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Screen size is why I bought it, finally we have a phone that fits in one hand and a battery that lasts all day and can be used without a case and won't pull your shorts down because it doesn't weigh a tonne

Speakers could be better

I totally agree with you on all fronts! It definitely sounds like Google ticked off all the right boxes with the Pixel 5.

Scott337

Apr 22, 2017
Visit site
My wife loves the phone and loves the size. I asked her what she would change and her initial response was: nothing.

bvcx

Mar 23, 2021
Visit site
I wish there was a micro SD slot since they're not even selling anything bigger than 128gb. But maybe that would be hard whole keeping it skinny.

Emperor

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the feedback. I get it ... Some people see the smaller size as a plus.

Left my phone in a friend's car and couldn't get it back until the next day. Grabbed my backup Pixel 3 XL to use on wifi email, banking, and hangouts (yes ... I'm still using hangouts). While using the P3XL, I was a little smitten with the larger screen. Felt like the size fell into the sweet spot ... Large screen ... But not too large like some of the Samsung flat screen phones ;-). I loving the P5, but every "now-and -then" ... I wouldn't mind a larger screen.

Not complaining ... Just explaining

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the feedback. I get it ... Some people see the smaller size as a plus.

Left my phone in a friend's car and couldn't get it back until the next day. Grabbed my backup Pixel 3 XL to use on wifi email, banking, and hangouts (yes ... I'm still using hangouts). While using the P3XL, I was a little smitten with the larger screen. Felt like the size fell into the sweet spot ... Large screen ... But not too large like some of the Samsung flat screen phones ;-). I loving the P5, but every "now-and -then" ... I wouldn't mind a larger screen.

Not complaining ... Just explaining

I get what you are saying! Different users will like different screen sizes for varying reasons. I have smaller hands so I like having a smaller phone. I know my husband likes bigger phones, and though my brother has big hands, he has smaller phones. Different strokes for different folks!

dmxjago

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
I get what you are saying! Different users will like different screen sizes for varying reasons. I have smaller hands so I like having a smaller phone. I know my husband likes bigger phones, and though my brother has big hands, he has smaller phones. Different strokes for different folks!
Also, the pixel 5 screen is not much smaller than the 4xl believe it or not because it's all bezeless.

A_plus

Sep 1, 2018
Visit site
I love the pixel 5. Even though I have never seen it in person.

I love the screen size. Anything above 6" just feels giant. I've always had small phones.

The battery is better than mine currently.

The performance is way better than mine currently.

The screen is much better than mine currently.

The one thing i would change is the location of the power and volume buttons. Why does Google have to put the power button above the volume button! Why! No one else does it that way!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adelinachau53674