Anyone having issues with Pixel 5 durability?

ianhanson85

Feb 1, 2014
Visit site
Hi,

Unfortunately my 2+year old Pixel 3XL is nearing its end. The back is randomly separating near the power and volume rocker and going all the way down the phone. Not sure if it's just adhesive or battery expanding.

I was not thrilled with Google's solution so even though I had planned on not upgrading until October/November looks like that's moving up to now.

I value a great camera and battery life above all. But I also don't like upgrading every year.

I've ready stories about the screen coming apart on the pixel 5 and am concerned if I were to go upgrade to a 5 I would essentially have the same problem.

I love Android and switching to another ecosystem is a no go. The One Plus 9 has me intrigued though.

Curious to hear anyone's thought regarding the Pixel 5 durability or if anyone thinks a one plus 9 is a better phone?

Thanks in advance.

dmxjago

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
There hasn't been reports of anyone with actual issues. The initial report i think was that some devices has a tiny gap between the screen and frame. My device has 0 gap and it has been flawless. I've been using cases on and off even naked some of the time and I'm yet to have any scratches. I have the latercase which is a stupid thin case and does a poor job protecting the device because it doesn't cover the top, bottom and side of the phone where the volume rocker is located. I dropped the phone on concrete lucky enough it scratched the for corners of the case but the phone has nothing, call me lucky.

Either way if durability and battery is a big factor for you then i think you will be very happy with the pixel 5. If you can hold off until October to see what the pixel 6 brings to the table would probably be best, but it seems as if you can't and the pixel 5 is solid.

Good luck!

Last edited:

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Between Pixel 5 and the smaller OnePlus 9, Pixel 5 any day. Just my opinion though and don't like the direction OnePlus is heading and their software updates suck.

Also no reliability issues on pixel 5 and there haven't been any wide spread problems as well.

swebb

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
No issues with my P5. Works just as it did out of box. The so called screen gap is a total non-issue.

I'd be concerned about your possibile battery swelling, as that can become dangerous very quickly. Maybe find a decent used P3 or P3a to hold you over till the P6. At this point, I wouldn't get a P5 unless there was a really good sale. Nothing wrong with the phone, but list price is too high by $100 IMO.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I agree as well. I had upgraded from my older pixel 3 XL to my 5..l No issues whatsoever here for durability or anything whatsoever. Everything is built well durable strong reliable etc.!

phillipex

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
The Pixel 5's overall fit and finish is superb in my humble opinion. It feels solid and as far as durability is concerned, my wife P5 and mine have sustained multiple drops with no issue. Now granted, we both have hard cases and glass screen protectors. Battery life is excellent, the best of the of the pixels we have enjoyed (P1XL, P3XL, and P5). Good luck with you choice and best regards.

kenorian

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
I'm very pleased with my Pixel 5. Wasn't sure I'd like the slightly smaller form factor. Now I love it. The speakers are just fine for calls and even OK for watching videos. Battery life rocks. I'm not a gamer, but it's super fast and smooth. Takes great photos. I've got it in an Otterbox Defender just because I'm OCD. All around great phone.

bobred0965

Feb 1, 2012
Visit site
I've had my Pixel 5 for a few months now, and it's at least as durable as my last 3 Pixel phones. I am still disappointed that they didn't offer it in an XL version and I really, really wish that it had more memory (or expandable storage!), but overall, I'm very happy with it.

technomom

May 16, 2010
Visit site
No issues so far. I really like the Pixel 5. It's a much better size for my hands than my previous OnePlus 6T and Moto Z Play were. Also, I don't know that I'll ever want to go back to a phone that didn't have Call Screening , Hold For Me, and an easy on/off switch for close captioning.

daveandcori

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
I have had zero issues with my Pixel 5 - works great, faster after last update, great camera and durable. I don't have a case on it at home and have dropped it plenty of times, including the driveway, with nothing but a tiny scratch in the edge of the case. Battery life is awesome and nothing beats plain ol' Android with no skins or bloatware.

Steven Romero2

Apr 20, 2021
Visit site
I've had my Pixel 5 coming on 6mo's, have dropped it on a hard surface about 5-10x probably, no problem.
I don't use a case, only a skin (Xtremeskins matte skin) which gives great grip & scratch protection.
I had Samsung S20+ & OnePlus 8Pro right before. Totally prefer Pixel 5 over any of those.
-scr

Guyinbox

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
Has anyone has an issue with the 5 feeling calls? I finally convinced my wife to switch from an IPhone, but he pixel drops called on her constantly and now she's mad at me lol.

straygator

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
During the more than 3 years that I've been using only Pixel phones -- first a P2XL, and now a P5 -- I have never experienced a single dropped call. When I see occasional reports of this phenomenon, I assume that it probably occurs because of a tenuous or fluctuating network connection.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Yeah I agree as well. In all my pixels never experienced a dropped call either. Could be due to a bad network connection or maybe a network reset on your phone as needed unfortunately.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itamargs