FPS vs Face Unlock

DigbyTheDog

Jan 4, 2018
Visit site
If it weren't for having to wear masks for the past year, which would you prefer... a fingerprint scanner or Face Unlock?

I just switched back to my Pixel 4xl after using an iPhone SE (2020) since late June. I'm loving having the larger screen but find it is top heavy and find it a bit big for my hands and pockets so am thinking the smaller 6" screen would be just right. But another feature I am really loving is the reliability of the Face Unlock. I found the fingerprint sensor on the iPhone to be picky and it currently no longer likes my right thumb. (it happened before and I had to reprogram my thumb) I had a Pixel 2 and I don't remember the sensor ever not liking my finger, at least not if it wasn't wet. All this said, I'm really tempted to try the Pixel 5, but I'm just worried I will run into the same problems I'm having now with the iPhone's fingerprint sensor.

farocco

Dec 27, 2016
Visit site
no issues with my pixel 5 finger unlock, I find it much easier to use. screen size is just right for me, I don't have large hands. As mustang says, great battery life.

Scott337

Apr 22, 2017
Visit site
I would prefer both. Google's secure face unlock like my Pixel 4 and a fingerprint scanner for when face ID isn't practical.

DigbyTheDog

Jan 4, 2018
Visit site
Yes, both would be ideal but seeing as they dropped Face Unlock on the Pixel 5, I'm not even convinced it will be back for the Pixel 6.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
If it weren't for having to wear masks for the past year, which would you prefer... a fingerprint scanner or Face Unlock?

I just switched back to my Pixel 4xl after using an iPhone SE (2020) since late June. I'm loving having the larger screen but find it is top heavy and find it a bit big for my hands and pockets so am thinking the smaller 6" screen would be just right. But another feature I am really loving is the reliability of the Face Unlock. I found the fingerprint sensor on the iPhone to be picky and it currently no longer likes my right thumb. (it happened before and I had to reprogram my thumb) I had a Pixel 2 and I don't remember the sensor ever not liking my finger, at least not if it wasn't wet. All this said, I'm really tempted to try the Pixel 5, but I'm just worried I will run into the same problems I'm having now with the iPhone's fingerprint sensor.

Such a difficult question! Honestly, though, even though I have grown fonder of Face Unlock, I prefer fingerprint scanners - ultrasonic or otherwise.

DigbyTheDog

Jan 4, 2018
Visit site
The more I think about it, the more I want to try the pixel 5. I want to be happy with the 4 xl, but it is looking like I can sell it for more than my buy-out would be. Then the plan I'd get would cost less than I am paying now. My bf says go for it. I can hear my dad saying he doesn't understand why. Decisions decisions lol

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
With iOS 14.5, I no longer have to pull my mask down to face unlock. It uses the Apple watch as the authentication to unlock with mask on. Finally thanks Apple !!!

But coming back to face unlock vs fingerprint, I would prefer both . But I think may be fingerprint if only had the option to choose one.

swebb

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
If there can only be one, then fps. And the rear fps as it seems to be be more reliable and quicker than under screen fps. Plus rear fps is more natural for me when I pick up the phone.

Smokeaire01

Jul 3, 2015
Visit site
FPS for sure. I love it on my Pixel 4a. The sensor is right where my pointer finger naturally falls when I pick up the phone. Plus I like using it to drop down the notification shade and quick settings.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
With iOS 14.5, I no longer have to pull my mask down to face unlock. It uses the Apple watch as the authentication to unlock with mask on. Finally thanks Apple !!!

But coming back to face unlock vs fingerprint, I would prefer both . But I think may be fingerprint if only had the option to choose one.

I feel like if I had only one option to choose from - it would be the fingerprint scanner. One reason why I didn't jump on the Pixel 4 was because it only relied on Face Unlock.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Even though we all won't be wearing masks forever, I will always love pixels FPS over face unlock. In my opinion, just w faster, easier , and just as secure way to unlock and use your phone. That's just me 6if course. Everyone's different...

Kizzy Catwoman

Ambassador
Feb 2, 2017
Visit site
I prefer FPS. With the Pixel 4xl it often wouldn’t work for me and I got fed up with it. Reprogrammed it a few times. Dunno if it isn’t so good with brown skinned faces. My husband has the phone now and he has no issues with face unlock at all.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
If there can only be one, then fps. And the rear fps as it seems to be be more reliable and quicker than under screen fps. Plus rear fps is more natural for me when I pick up the phone.
I wouldn't want face unlock to begin with, but I agree with a rear fps verses under screen fps. Quicker and reliable.

mggm100

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
If all face unlock worked as well as it does on my Pixel 4, that would be my preference. It is blazing fast and also works in a dark room at night. It is the reason I've held onto this phone instead of getting a 4a or a 5. I have a recent iteration of iPad and find its fingerprint reader to be slow and glitchy. If my memory is correct, the fingerprint reader on the Pixel 2 worked better than the on one this recent iPad.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34