I Almost Did It!

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I almost bought a Pixel 5 today! I've been torn between a OnePlus phone or a Google Pixel 6 - but I find that I will often "hold out" for the next generation, but then miss out because I liked the previous iteration better. Or, I'd wait too long and lose out - like what happened with the OnePlus 5, 5T, and then the Pixel 3. Has this happened to anyone?

I still may pull the plug. I also like that the Pixel 5 is way cheaper than OP phones, and that camera is super enticing. Makes it real hard to *not* pull the trigger.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I almost bought a Pixel 5 today! I've been torn between a OnePlus phone or a Google Pixel 6 - but I find that I will often "hold out" for the next generation, but then miss out because I liked the previous iteration better. Or, I'd wait too long and lose out - like what happened with the OnePlus 5, 5T, and then the Pixel 3. Has this happened to anyone?

I still may pull the plug. I also like that the Pixel 5 is way cheaper than OP phones, and that camera is super enticing. Makes it real hard to *not* pull the trigger.
Pixel 5 is very good phone, since you didn't jp on the 5 wait until the 6 and make a decision , as for 1+8 1+9 none made me want to there direction and reason why i picked a 1+7T pro McLaren over those .

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I'm holding out for the 6. More rumors about Google's own silicon are getting me excited!

Ahhhh it's so hard to wait! I'm just afraid they'll make the 6 too big for me to use. I did hear rumours about there being a regular and XL size, though. Also, I love the Sage colour on the 5. You have the 4, yes?

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Pixel 5 is very good phone, since you didn't jp on the 5 wait until the 6 and make a decision , as for 1+8 1+9 none made me want to there direction and reason why i picked a 1+7T pro McLaren over those .

Eh, my bank didn't let me because I never make big purchases and it thought I was a fraud attempt. *eye roll* I may still buy it - if my bank lets me, apparently.

But yeah, I see what you're saying about OnePlus. I just don't want to spend the money for features that are lacking - like IP ratings and camera performance.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Ahhhh it's so hard to wait! I'm just afraid they'll make the 6 too big for me to use. I did hear rumours about there being a regular and XL size, though. Also, I love the Sage colour on the 5. You have the 4, yes?

Nope, 3 XL, which has served me well. What's been important to me is the continued Original Quality backups to Google Photos until Feb 2022. Once I finally upgrade, I'll probably have to spring for a Google One plan, because I'm spoiled now with Original Quality backups!

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Eh, my bank didn't let me because I never make big purchases and it thought I was a fraud attempt. *eye roll* I may still buy it - if my bank lets me, apparently.

But yeah, I see what you're saying about OnePlus. I just don't want to spend the money for features that are lacking - like IP ratings and camera performance.
Yeah , let us know what you decide

Kizzy Catwoman

Ambassador
Feb 2, 2017
Visit site
Oh hon, I can understand that temptation. I sprung for the 4a 5G cos at £399 it was just too good an offer. And it is almost same as 5 without the IP rating and wireless charging. But I wanted the larger screen size. You prefer smaller phones so the 5 is perfect for you. I think you would just love it. The cameras are the same as mine and I just love using them. I am using the Pixel for my photos now instead of the Samsung. The quality is just night and day better.

If you can convince the bank then go with your gut. I know the 6 is due out soon so it depends on the deal you can get on the 5 and whether you want the features of the 6. And if you can wait that long. We are talking 6 months before you can get your hands on a 6.

Kizzy Catwoman

Ambassador
Feb 2, 2017
Visit site
Plus you continue to receive free high quality photos with Google with the 5 if that is important because that is the last phone with that perk.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Oh hon, I can understand that temptation. I sprung for the 4a 5G cos at £399 it was just too good an offer. And it is almost same as 5 without the IP rating and wireless charging. But I wanted the larger screen size. You prefer smaller phones so the 5 is perfect for you. I think you would just love it. The cameras are the same as mine and I just love using them. I am using the Pixel for my photos now instead of the Samsung. The quality is just night and day better.

If you can convince the bank then go with your gut. I know the 6 is due out soon so it depends on the deal you can get on the 5 and whether you want the features of the 6. And if you can wait that long. We are talking 6 months before you can get your hands on a 6.

I really do miss the Pixel camera experience. And the fact that it is the last device with that high quality photos thing... Well, maybe I'll do it!

gendo667

Trusted Member
Jun 6, 2015
Visit site

The Pixel 6 will still be cheaper than a OP device. I'd say wait. Get the latest and greatest from Google with a longer software update cycle.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
The Pixel 6 will still be cheaper than a OP device. I'd say wait. Get the latest and greatest from Google with a longer software update cycle.

I definitely see your point. I'm usually okay with getting a six-month-old flagship and then keeping it for a while. The 6 does seem to be pretty cool though. Who knows anymore! Haha.

mgbosshogg

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
I'm the opposite. If they make a XL, I'm in .

I do have gorilla shovel hands though.

DigbyTheDog

Jan 4, 2018
Visit site
I took the leap and got the 5 and am so very happy I did. I love the size - nice big screen but still fits in my hands and pockets. My 4 XL loves to jump out of pockets LOL. I know the 6 will likely be here in October, but the 5 ticked practically all the right boxes for me. Unless the 6 comes with both face unlock and the fps (on the back) and also comes in red (my favourite colour), ill be very happy with the 5. Good luck with your decision.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I took the leap and got the 5 and am so very happy I did. I love the size - nice big screen but still fits in my hands and pockets. My 4 XL loves to jump out of pockets LOL. I know the 6 will likely be here in October, but the 5 ticked practically all the right boxes for me. Unless the 6 comes with both face unlock and the fps (on the back) and also comes in red (my favourite colour), ill be very happy with the 5. Good luck with your decision.

You know, I'm actually looking forward to having a rear-mounted fingerprint sensor again. I loved the in display one on my S10, but I don't think I'll miss Face Unlock.

How are you liking the speakers?

DigbyTheDog

Jan 4, 2018
Visit site
You know, I'm actually looking forward to having a rear-mounted fingerprint sensor again. I loved the in display one on my S10, but I don't think I'll miss Face Unlock.

How are you liking the speakers?

I find the speakers to be fine. Covering the bottom speaker definitely makes an impact. I really don't listen to much music, so I'm not the right person to ask in that respect.

I love the rear, physical fps. I see my boyfriend struggle with his in screen one on his S20 FE all the time, but the one on the Pixel works great.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I find the speakers to be fine. Covering the bottom speaker definitely makes an impact. I really don't listen to much music, so I'm not the right person to ask in that respect.

I love the rear, physical fps. I see my boyfriend struggle with his in screen one on his S20 FE all the time, but the one on the Pixel works great.

Thank you for your honesty! If I'm listening to music I mostly use my Bluetooth headset anyway, but just thought I'd ask; as reviewers I've watched said it's not as good as other speakers out there.

swebb

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
Speakers are definitely a weak point. I also don't listen to music, or anything else where sound quality matters, through the phone speakers. The sound quality is fine for in-ear and speakerphone calls.

One thing I've never seen mentioned about the under display top speaker is that ear placement is not critical for hearing. Anywhere near the top of the phone just works. Most of the top speakers on my prior phones required near perfect ear placement to hear clearly.