Trusted Place in Smart Lock No Longer Working

cyndie1030

Feb 23, 2014
Visit site
I could never get this to work right on my Pixel 2 but it always flawlessly on the Pixel 5 so it would be automatically unlocked when I was Home. Then suddenly it stopped working, I believe maybe since the May Update. I have tried to remove my Home and reset it up in Maps. I've tried to reboot, clear the cache from Play Services, make sure Play Services is Not Optimized in the Battery settings. Nothing.

Has anyone had this stop working and figured out how to fix it?

HyperM3

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
I could never get this to work right on my Pixel 2 but it always flawlessly on the Pixel 5 so it would be automatically unlocked when I was Home. Then suddenly it stopped working, I believe maybe since the May Update. I have tried to remove my Home and reset it up in Maps. I've tried to reboot, clear the cache from Play Services, make sure Play Services is Not Optimized in the Battery settings. Nothing.

Has anyone had this stop working and figured out how to fix it?
So funny you mentioned this because its only been the past few days I've noticed this not working also. I was going to post about it but you beat me to it.

I also double checked my location and I put both my neighbors address also(townhouse) and it's still not working.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
There have been a few posts about this lately for a few different devices. Trusted Places has never worked reliably for me on any Pixel phone.:-\

cyndie1030

Feb 23, 2014
Visit site
I agree of late some post about being a issue with different devices. Try resetting it up again

I did try that. I live in an apartment building and when I went into Maps to add my Home location, it showed the blue circle a little distance from the apartment street address. It showed I was 50 feet from it. So I tried adding the building itself as one Trusted Location but for my Home, I used a dropped pin that was within the blue circle. Went back into Trusted Location and it asked if I wanted to set up my Home and I said Yes. Still didn't work.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I did try that. I live in an apartment building and when I went into Maps to add my Home location, it showed the blue circle a little distance from the apartment street address. It showed I was 50 feet from it. So I tried adding the building itself as one Trusted Location but for my Home, I used a dropped pin that was within the blue circle. Went back into Trusted Location and it asked if I wanted to set up my Home and I said Yes. Still didn't work.
Have you tried to reset network in settings ?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

Since you live in an apartment building, I'd think twice about using Trusted Places anyway, because even if it's working correctly, it may not be able to distinguish between your apartment and a neighboring one. So if you were to lose your phone somewhere in the complex and some unscrupulous tenant found it, they might be able to access your information easily.

Bla1ze

Community Manager
Staff member
Oct 30, 2010
Visit site
There have been a few posts about this lately for a few different devices. Trusted Places has never worked reliably for me on any Pixel phone.:-\

Me either. Sometimes it works, other times not so much. It's just not reliable at all.

cyndie1030

Feb 23, 2014
Visit site
Since you live in an apartment building, I'd think twice about using Trusted Places anyway, because even if it's working correctly, it may not be able to distinguish between your apartment and a neighboring one. So if you were to lose your phone somewhere in the complex and some unscrupulous tenant found it, they might be able to access your information easily.

But it has always worked with the Pixel 5 up until recently. I set it up now to use Trusted Device and added my Fitbit. That's working so I'll use that until I see where they may have fixed Trusted Location.

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
4a here not a 5 but doing the same thing. Used to work 99% of the time until the may security update, now completely unreliable and really hit and miss. On my former pixel 2 it never worked reliably at all.

hedera

May 17, 2011
Visit site
I just came in here to ask about this. I have a Samsung Galaxy S10 phone running Android 11, and Trusted places used to work pretty well in my house. Recently, I have to enter the pin to use it, even though it's supposedly in a trusted place all day. Google Maps has the house correctly identified. Reading the other comments isn't encouraging, anyone have any ideas?

cyndie1030

Feb 23, 2014
Visit site
This was working for me after the June update but I was home until Saturday. When I got back, it wasn't working again. This time I went into Google Maps and clicked the compass button to find my location. It told me it need calibrated (figure 8 in the air for a minute). Once I did that and restarted my phone, the trusted location was working again.

Figured I'd share to see if that helps anyone else.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
This was working for me after the June update but I was home until Saturday. When I got back, it wasn't working again. This time I went into Google Maps and clicked the compass button to find my location. It told me it need calibrated (figure 8 in the air for a minute). Once I did that and restarted my phone, the trusted location was working again.

Thanks for your findings

HyperM3

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site

Weird, I haven't used Google maps in quite a while so I opened my app and clicked the compass like you said. Low and behold mine needed calibration also. Lets see if this is the fix I needed.

EDIT: trusted places still not working for me after this

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Landers2