Screen protector saves the day

john_v

Q&A Team
Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
This past Friday I was driving a bus for my son's Jr high field trip. I had my Pixel 5 in my suction mount holder, never had a problem with this holder, in fact, it's the second one I bought after the first died of old age . We had just come across the Illinois state line from Indiana, we're transitioning from 80/94 to 294 north and we were approaching the first iPass toll plaza. I was in the second to left lane (of 4 lanes) and an ID 10 T driver came flying up on my left, cut me off, and slammed on their brakes because they didn't want to go through the iPass lanes (they obviously didn't realize the toll booths are unmanned now and they have to pay online anyway)
So naturally I slammed on my brakes and everything went flying (mind you we were going the legal expressway speed) and my pixel 5 popped out my phone holder and hit the floor of the bus.
Later that evening my son said " Dad what happened to your screen?" My heart sank but I hoped and prayed it was just the protector. Got the new ones in today, took the old off, and sure enough my Px5 screen looks like I just took it out of the box.
I have to rep this brand because they are the easiest I have ever put on, and I've been putting screen protectors on for 22 years. Not only that but it did what it was supposed to do. Very happy with it.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08CKC7D6...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU6946912
d0201de6b94048ad86cedd730a683752.jpg

Last edited:

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Wow! What a crazy driver to do that to you! Glad that everyone is okay and that your phone survived, too! Thank you for recommending that brand, too!

kenorian

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
Good going! I'm never without a screen protector. Saved me on multiple occasions. And, when I sell the phone, having been in a case with a screen protector, I can honestly say it's in mint condition.

Agree that's a great product. I've had it on since January, and the oleophobic coating is still good - not always the case after 5 months with others I've used in the past.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Good going! I'm never without a screen protector. Saved me on multiple occasions. And, when I sell the phone, having been in a case with a screen protector, I can honestly say it's in mint condition.

Agree that's a great product. I've had it on since January, and the oleophobic coating is still good - not always the case after 5 months with others I've used in the past.

Did you also find the installation process to be easy? This sounds like a good screen protector to get!

kenorian

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
Yes, came with a plastic guide. Also liked that there was no lift at the edges as I've experienced with some screen protectors.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Yes, came with a plastic guide. Also liked that there was no lift at the edges as I've experienced with some screen protectors.

I've never used the plastic guides until my Pixel 5's screen protector came with one and I finally caved and used it. They work pretty well. That's great to know that there are no lifts at the edges! I've had that happen with multiple screen protectors with previous devices!

jweimn

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Not to be "that guy" but protectors really only protect against scratches nowadays from the few things are hard harder then gorilla glass. They don't provide any structural support when it comes to your screen cracking that's just luck of the draw and how well gorilla glass ends up holding up.

Just didn't want people buy a protector and then they're disappointed when their screen cracks

Chuck Finley69

Trusted Member
Feb 22, 2015
Visit site
This past Friday I was driving a bus for my son's Jr high field trip. I had my Pixel 5 in my suction mount holder, never had a problem with this holder, in fact, it's the second one I bought after the first died of old age . We had just come across the Illinois state line from Indiana, we're transitioning from 80/94 to 294 north and we were approaching the first iPass toll plaza. I was in the second to left lane (of 4 lanes) and an ID 10 T driver came flying up on my left, cut me off, and slammed on their brakes because they didn't want to go through the iPass lanes (they obviously didn't realize the toll booths are unmanned now and they have to pay online anyway)
So naturally I slammed on my brakes and everything went flying (mind you we were going the legal expressway speed) and my pixel 5 popped out my phone holder and hit the floor of the bus.
Later that evening my son said " Dad what happened to your screen?" My heart sank but I hoped and prayed it was just the protector. Got the new ones in today, took the old off, and sure enough my Px5 screen looks like I just took it out of the box.
I have to rep this brand because they are the easiest I have ever put on, and I've been putting screen protectors on for 22 years. Not only that but it did what it was supposed to do. Very happy with it.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08CKC7D6...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU6948047
d0201de6b94048ad86cedd730a683752.jpg

So I read the story and see the happy outcome. However, with all the buildup,
I was prepped for almost 50 year anniversary of Convoy movie……

Dang it, now the song is even stuck in my head…..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sd5ZLJWQmss

john_v

Q&A Team
Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
Not to be "that guy" but protectors really only protect against scratches nowadays from the few things are hard harder then gorilla glass. They don't provide any structural support when it comes to your screen cracking that's just luck of the draw and how well gorilla glass ends up holding up.

Just didn't want people buy a protector and then they're disappointed when their screen cracks
So you're saying that if my pixel had hit the edge of this in a three foot drop, the screen would have survived unscathed?

Gotcha.

I'll stick with an extra layer of protection.
1746df20cab67e48328c725a5423cd35.jpg

jweimn

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
So you're saying that if my pixel had hit the edge of this in a three foot drop, the screen would have survived unscathed?

Gotcha.

I'll stick with an extra layer of protection.
1746df20cab67e48328c725a5423cd35.jpg
Depending on the gorilla glass type each version has its own toughness rating, only things that are above that rating can scratch the glass.

https://www.corning.com/gorillaglass/worldwide/en.html

The extra layer would not prevent your screen from cracking is what I'm saying if you're still worried about scratches then throw one of the plastic like ones on and you'll be good. Just didn't want people to think a protector is gonna save a screen from cracking.

Chuck Finley69

Trusted Member
Feb 22, 2015
Visit site
I’m one that buys tempered glass displays and make sure my kids do too. The plastic one don’t absorb impact and since I didn’t know the difference my youngest lost an iPhone 6 screen to a perfect 4 corner face plant impact on terrazzo floor. Since then I use tempered glass protectors and I’ve suffered 7-8 different phone drops on iPhone 8, two XRs, SE2 and Pixel 3a from my teenage daughters and my adult son. All of them on concrete warehouse floors, school gym floors and terrazzo once again. Once dropped and glass added layer is broken, all protections are gone unless immediately replaced. That happened on the 8 once.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I’m one that buys tempered glass displays and make sure my kids do too. The plastic one don’t absorb impact and since I didn’t know the difference my youngest lost an iPhone 6 screen to a perfect 4 corner face plant impact on terrazzo floor. Since then I use tempered glass protectors and I’ve suffered 7-8 different phone drops on iPhone 8, two XRs, SE2 and Pixel 3a from my teenage daughters and my adult son. All of them on concrete warehouse floors, school gym floors and terrazzo once again. Once dropped and glass added layer is broken, all protections are gone unless immediately replaced. That happened on the 8 once.

Always safer to go with tempered glass! I remember I once dropped my all-glass Honor 8 onto my in-laws' wooden floor from the bed. It was a big drop that cracked the screen protector, but my screen was perfectly fine. Had it been plastic, I'm sure my phone would have suffered damage.

anthonium

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
I love Omoton and have been using them for all my Pixel devices and a past iPhone I had. With that iPhone I once pulled it out of my pocket too quickly and it flew straight out in front of me and the phone did several cart wheels landing on its face. The whole body of the phone went into pieces but the screen stayed in tact thanks to the protector.

JK I had a case on and the phone survived with absolutely zero damage. :)

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I love Omoton and have been using them for all my Pixel devices and a past iPhone I had. With that iPhone I once pulled it out of my pocket too quickly and it flew straight out in front of me and the phone did several cart wheels landing on its face. The whole body of the phone went into pieces but the screen stayed in tact thanks to the protector.

JK I had a case on and the phone survived with absolutely zero damage. :)

Haha, with my luck that would actually happen!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelrie