messages.google.com has been awful 6/2021

Mar 4, 2017
Visit site
After more than a year of near-flawless operation, messages.google.com - the web interface that I use most of the time for reading and sending texts - has been awful. At best once a day, but often every 20 minutes, trying to read an incoming message will cause the white screen with blue spinning circle, and then in the upper left a black thing will appear saying "trying to connect to phone."

Long ago, when this would happen, simply bringing the messages app to active state on the phone would solve this. But now nothing does, until either closing the tab on the computer and reopening it, or re-pairing the phone with the web interface.

Yes, I check the box on the web to remember the phone.

Yes, I've cleared cache and cookies on the web.

Yes, I've signed out on the web and signed back in.

Bottom line is that, with no material change from me, messages.google.com went from working without error for a year or more, to failing multiple times a day.

Anyone else seeing this? Suggestions to fix?

john_v

Q&A Team
Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
I haven't had issues on the web interface lately but I have had what you described before. Eventually just worked itself out. Been pretty good lately. What I did have issues with was about a week ago I lost RCS Chat, wouldn't go past the Verifying Number stage and then this afternoon it magically came back without any app updates. I'm guessing it's all server side stuff.

Hoping it clears up for you, the web version is definitely handy!

Mar 4, 2017
Visit site
I haven't had issues on the web interface lately but I have had what you described before. Eventually just worked itself out. Been pretty good lately. What I did have issues with was about a week ago I lost RCS Chat, wouldn't go past the Verifying Number stage and then this afternoon it magically came back without any app updates. I'm guessing it's all server side stuff.

Hoping it clears up for you, the web version is definitely handy!

I remember it "working itself out" multiple times before, and that's good, and of course it was on a long sustained run of no problems ever. But this issue has been going on - guessing - at least three weeks now, every day, making it the worst bout with this issue ever. I am guessing that yes, it will go away. But it's awful composing a thoughtful message, then losing it, unless I've thought to copy the message in case it happens. So hoping it gets the attention it deserves.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
After more than a year of near-flawless operation, messages.google.com - the web interface that I use most of the time for reading and sending texts - has been awful. At best once a day, but often every 20 minutes, trying to read an incoming message will cause the white screen with blue spinning circle, and then in the upper left a black thing will appear saying "trying to connect to phone."

Long ago, when this would happen, simply bringing the messages app to active state on the phone would solve this. But now nothing does, until either closing the tab on the computer and reopening it, or re-pairing the phone with the web interface.

Yes, I check the box on the web to remember the phone.

Yes, I've cleared cache and cookies on the web.

Yes, I've signed out on the web and signed back in.

Bottom line is that, with no material change from me, messages.google.com went from working without error for a year or more, to failing multiple times a day.

Anyone else seeing this? Suggestions to fix?
This something you see in google activity
"messages.google.com"

Try force stop the app fixes glitches or clear it's data then force stop

Mar 4, 2017
Visit site
Ok perfect , keep us updated!

Sadly, this great idea laid an egg. The first time, I cleared the data and force stopped the app. I've since force-stopped at least three more times in two hours, because the web app has failed. And maybe that's sending/reading about 10 messages with three different threads. Hope the google developers realize they have a problem and get it fixed.

EDIT:The following might be helpful material information, that I just remembered.

For almost all the time I've had my phone, if the devices - phone and web - were paired, there'd be an icon in my phone, that looked like a laptop or monitor. And if the web app ever stopped working, I could access my phone message app, the icon would reappear, and the pairing and web app would be up and running again.

Then about a month ago, I started noticing that if I expanded the notifications at the top of my phone, the monitor icon now expanded to "device pairing" showing every computer with which the phone was paired on the message app. Even computers that were sleeping or turned off.

I'm 100% sure that the "device pairing" display being added to the notification is new in the past month, and that is when the web app started getting so problematic.

I'm running Android 11, Build RQ2A.210505.002

Last edited:

Mar 4, 2017
Visit site
Update 6/22: Since my last post, things have improved quite a bit. In fact I was just about to post saying that things are perfect, and I had the problem with the web app again. But this time, and it's a first for the 2021 bout of problems I've had, I got things going again by moving around messages in the phone app - the web app reconnected, and sent a text that had been hung up. So not fully cured as I'd hoped, but way fewer problems last 36 hours, than in any similar period the past month.

I invite comment on the material information i'd provided in the edit to the post just above this.

Jinx0rs

Feb 4, 2022
Visit site
I have been having on and off issues with Messages for Web for a couple years I would say. Here is a more detailed description of the process I went through.

https://old.reddit.com/r/GooglePixe...for_web_very_common_not_connected_to/hsvxbpj/

TLDR: Settings>Apps>See all *** apps>3 dots>Show System>Search for "device">Companion Device Manager>Battery>set to "Unrestricted"

I did this, as well as a few others that I don't think were the actual fix, and it's been going solid for about 3 weeks. No error message even once, when I would get it a couple times a day before.

Hope this helps, I've seen a LOT of people having the same issue.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itamargs