Just pulled the trigger on the pixel 5

TheAngryToaster

Sep 14, 2020
Visit site
I currently have the s21 base model but I always wanted the pixel 5. It was the first time a pixel really appealed to me with design and size.

I really like the s21 but I don't really need all those fancy features that it comes with. I didn't pull the trigger on the 5 because I didn't have the money for it to pay up front and it wasn't offered by my carrier. Tonight I was bored and applied for google financing and was approved. I clicked that big fat order button right away lol.

Part of me wonders if I should wait for the 6 but if it is the first pixel with its in house processor I think I want to skip that for a while and let the bugs get fixed.

The good thing about this reckless purchase is that the delivery date isn't until the end of august. If more comes out on the pixel 6 in the next month I have plenty of time to cancel the order and or just return the 5.

dmxjago

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
I have a pixel 5 and love it, however, if i was in your shoes I would of waited since the pixel 6 is right around the corner especially since it seems like your s21 is still functioning well.

Regardless of your decision I think you will be pleased with the pixel .

Kizzy Catwoman

Ambassador
Feb 2, 2017
Visit site
Congratulations on your new phone. When a phone appeals to you it just does. And the 6 may be too big for you. Also you retain the free unlimited high quality photo storage in Google Photos with the 5. The 6 will not come with this unlimited storage. So that is something to consider as well.

I do hope you get it sooner rather than later although August isn’t that far away by now. Can’t believe we are in the second half of July already.

Last edited:

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I was in the exact same boat as you! I really wanted a Pixel phone again (also coming from a Samsung device that I loved but was missing the Pixel experience), and was between the Pixel 5 and the Pixel 6 line. I chose the 5 because the size was just right for me, and truthfully, not only was I nervous about trying Google's new chip this time around, I was also afraid that Google wouldn't make another phone this small/easy for me to hold. I was nervous that the 6 line would still be too big for me.

I'm loving my new Pixel 5! As Mustang said, the battery is amazing and I love the camera!

Congratulations on your new Pixel 5! Let us know when you get it and how you're liking it!

anthonium

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
And here I just bought a new original Pixel XL. Planning to keep this guy as my photo backup. :)

Congrats on the 5! I almost pulled the plug on it but when I tried out both the 5 and the 4A at Best Buy, I ended up going for the 4A due to the better speaker quality and headphone jack. I'm not a power user so the A line has primarily served my needs since its introduction. I'm very interested in the 6 but I will wait a couple of months after its release to see what feedback users have provided. Sadly it seems the pocketable size phones isn't what Google is going for now. Even the 5A will be an "XL" size device.

gebco

Nov 27, 2015
Visit site
You might decide to keep your 5 when the 6 comes out if price is one of your considerations. I strongly suspect the 6 will cost quite a bit more and the larger version a lot more.

TheAngryToaster

Sep 14, 2020
Visit site
My delivery date has moved up by 8 days. I hope it keeps this trend and I get it much much sooner.
@gebco I think I will most likely hang onto the 5. I have lost interest in paying top dollar for devices. The last iPhone I had was the mini with the smallest storage. The s21 I did opt for extra storage, although it wasn't really needed. I could have saved some cash that way. I don't have any plans to pay over a grand for another device. Unless it does some wild crazy out the world stuff which is going to happen anytime soon.
@Morty2264 The battery life is another thing that helped me pull the trigger. Honestly after the last few updates to the s21 my battery just isn't what I remembered it being when I first got the phone. That wasn't really a concern, until I was in a situation where I really needed it being out of town working and my mode of transportation was my feet.
@anthonium I happen to live in a city that has a really solid 5g network. I do see all the benefits of having a phone with 5g so it makes since to use that. Otherwise I probably would have gotten he 4a that looks like a great solid device. I considered the 4a5g but I didn't care for the size and really didn't like the way it felt in my hand. I am use to wireless charging as well on my phones, its hard to want to plug my phone in all the time.
@Kizzy Catwoman I didn't know that about the google photos thing. That is good to know with the 5, although I don't really take a ton of photos. I am just looking forward to the debloated android. I know I will get the google apps, but I tend to use most of them anyway so it just saves me an install haha.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
And here I just bought a new original Pixel XL. Planning to keep this guy as my photo backup. :)

Congrats on the 5! I almost pulled the plug on it but when I tried out both the 5 and the 4A at Best Buy, I ended up going for the 4A due to the better speaker quality and headphone jack. I'm not a power user so the A line has primarily served my needs since its introduction. I'm very interested in the 6 but I will wait a couple of months after its release to see what feedback users have provided. Sadly it seems the pocketable size phones isn't what Google is going for now. Even the 5A will be an "XL" size device.

Yes, it is a bit different that the 5 doesn't have a headphone jack. I like using Bluetooth headphones anyway but sometimes you just want to use a wired pair of headphones.

gendo667

Trusted Member
Jun 6, 2015
Visit site
I currently have the s21 base model but I always wanted the pixel 5. It was the first time a pixel really appealed to me with design and size.

I really like the s21 but I don't really need all those fancy features that it comes with. I didn't pull the trigger on the 5 because I didn't have the money for it to pay up front and it wasn't offered by my carrier. Tonight I was bored and applied for google financing and was approved. I clicked that big fat order button right away lol.

Part of me wonders if I should wait for the 6 but if it is the first pixel with its in house processor I think I want to skip that for a while and let the bugs get fixed.

The good thing about this reckless purchase is that the delivery date isn't until the end of august. If more comes out on the pixel 6 in the next month I have plenty of time to cancel the order and or just return the 5.
Hey, congrats on the new device!! Hopefully it arrives soon.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
My delivery date has moved up by 8 days. I hope it keeps this trend and I get it much much sooner.
@gebco I think I will most likely hang onto the 5. I have lost interest in paying top dollar for devices. The last iPhone I had was the mini with the smallest storage. The s21 I did opt for extra storage, although it wasn't really needed. I could have saved some cash that way. I don't have any plans to pay over a grand for another device. Unless it does some wild crazy out the world stuff which is going to happen anytime soon.
@Morty2264 The battery life is another thing that helped me pull the trigger. Honestly after the last few updates to the s21 my battery just isn't what I remembered it being when I first got the phone. That wasn't really a concern, until I was in a situation where I really needed it being out of town working and my mode of transportation was my feet.
@anthonium I happen to live in a city that has a really solid 5g network. I do see all the benefits of having a phone with 5g so it makes since to use that. Otherwise I probably would have gotten he 4a that looks like a great solid device. I considered the 4a5g but I didn't care for the size and really didn't like the way it felt in my hand. I am use to wireless charging as well on my phones, its hard to want to plug my phone in all the time.
@Kizzy Catwoman I didn't know that about the google photos thing. That is good to know with the 5, although I don't really take a ton of photos. I am just looking forward to the debloated android. I know I will get the google apps, but I tend to use most of them anyway so it just saves me an install haha.

I can totally understand your analogy with battery life. Even though I use my phone a bit more intensely now that I'm also moderating another group, I can still get to 36% or more by end of day. Great battery life!

docfreud01

Jun 6, 2017
Visit site
Congratulations on your purchase! I'm on Verizon and can't find anybody that sells the Pixel 5 for it. Even the unlocked versions aren't available. Where did you buy yours from?

TheAngryToaster

Sep 14, 2020
Visit site
Congratulations on your purchase! I'm on Verizon and can't find anybody that sells the Pixel 5 for it. Even the unlocked versions aren't available. Where did you buy yours from?

I randomly jumped on googles website and there was an option to purchase it. I don't know how that happened or why because I was checking for a few days before hand. I couldn't find one anywhere, I almost got one off of swappa but decided to randomly check googles page. If I go to the website right now, it lists it as only being available for google fi(unlocked).

Jazuyo

Jul 28, 2021
Visit site
I bought the black pixel 5 in February as my first ever Android device coming from a Blackberry Q10. I gotta say I love this device. Pocketable and compact, great battery life, cool features and live wallpapers I'm very impressed. I'm not a person that switches phones easily I hang on to phones for years so I'll most likely not get the pixel 6. Also I heard the phone was really big. If anything I'll just by the slate version of the pixel 5 if this one starts breaking.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I bought the black pixel 5 in February as my first ever Android device coming from a Blackberry Q10. I gotta say I love this device. Pocketable and compact, great battery life, cool features and live wallpapers I'm very impressed. I'm not a person that switches phones easily I hang on to phones for years so I'll most likely not get the pixel 6. Also I heard the phone was really big. If anything I'll just by the slate version of the pixel 5 if this one starts breaking.

I was gonna say - LOVE your profile picture, and now I know why - you owned a Q10! I did, too! Great device!

Going from BlackBerry to a stock Android phone like a Pixel is a great way to get introduced to Android! So glad you are liking your Pixel 5!

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site

Have you looked on the Google Store's website? I thought all Pixels bought from there were unlocked and compatible with practically any carrier. Keep us posted on what happens!

docfreud01

Jun 6, 2017
Visit site
I randomly jumped on googles website and there was an option to purchase it. I don't know how that happened or why because I was checking for a few days before hand. I couldn't find one anywhere, I almost got one off of swappa but decided to randomly check googles page. If I go to the website right now, it lists it as only being available for google fi(unlocked).

Have you looked on the Google Store's website? I thought all Pixels bought from there were unlocked and compatible with practically any carrier. Keep us posted on what happens!

I looked at the Google store and both the VZW and unlocked versions are out of stock. I also wonder if they are out of stock due to the supply-chain issues that are affecting so many businesses, or if (let me put on my tinfoil hat) Google is not making them because the Pixel 6 and 5a are so close to launch (tinfoil hat removed).

NMCynthia

Jan 18, 2018
Visit site
I looked at the Google store and both the VZW and unlocked versions are out of stock. I also wonder if they are out of stock due to the supply-chain issues that are affecting so many businesses, or if (let me put on my tinfoil hat) Google is not making them because the Pixel 6 and 5a are so close to launch (tinfoil hat removed).

I just looked on Amazon and they have unlocked Pixel 5's ... at the moment!