Android 12 & Pixel Stand charging

dmxjago

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
Ever since i installed android 12 beta i notice that when i sit pixel 5 on the pixel stand the screen no longer goes dark at night when in sleeping instead it shows the wallpaper on the lock screen. Same as if i press the power button and wake the phone and can see the wallpaper before unlocking it with the finger print sensor.

Is anyone else running into this?

dmxjago

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
Mine goes into the clock screensaver like before the beta. No issues here.
Uhm interesting. I even made sure that the screensaver goes on when docked and charging. Maybe there is another setting in missing. Thanks for confirming.

dmxjago

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
Can't figure it out checked all settings and it looks good. The only way i can make the screen same is I'd i tell it to shut the screen off when charging lol. If i tell it to leave the screen saver on when charging or docked or both docked & charging does screen stays mid showing the ock and wallpaper sigh.

rickkel

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I am having the same problem. I just installed the 12 Beta v4 yesterday and last night I noticed that it just stayed on my lock screen, not the dimmed AOD that it usually displays. I tested putting it on the stand during the day and it begins its normal photo slideshow properly as I have set up.

Of note, when i put it on the stand to test the daytime slideshow feature, I was immediately prompted to set up the times for nighttime mode. I will see if it works tonight. Perhaps it needed that confirmation to work.

Pixel 4 XL

Trees

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
I updated to Android 12 yesterday, and appear to have runn into the same problem as everyone has reported above. It was late night, so I did not feel like troubleshooting. Connected to USB C charger as a workaround.

Looking around this morning, Settings/Display/Screen Saver/Use Screen Saver is toggled to Off. The "When to Start" option is set to "While docked".

I searched in Settings for "stand" and did not see a result.

Searching found https://support.google.com/pixelphone/answer/9137565?hl=en and the "Change interruptions & brightness (Pixel 5, 4 & 3)" section may have a clue about going into Settings/Connected Devices. In Connected Devices my Pixel Stand shows in the "Previously connected devices" section. Not sure why that is. The Pixel Stand "Settings\Screen off when dark" is toggled off, and "Do Not Disturb while docked" is toggled to On.

I did notice last night that the Pixel 5 definitely detects the stand upon placement in the stand. The charging screen/symbol briefly shows, and then the screen stays on, and then shows the Lock Screen wall paper and clock (large font size). When I tried this it was past 2300hrs, so that was past the schedule time range I have set for "Bedtime mode", which is 2230-0600 Sunday through Thursday.

I've listed more than one variable (Setting/option) above, so may experiment with one variable at a time over the next few days to see if anything changes. Another option could be to remove/forget the "Previously connected" Pixel Stand, add it again, and see if anything changes, or if I am presented with an option(s) to setup the phone/stand so that the screen goes dark as with Android 11.

cyndie1030

Feb 23, 2014
Visit site
Mine was behaving as it usually did showing the screensaver clock for a while after updating to Android 12 then all of a sudden it started showing the lock screen instead. All night. Which was annoying. I finally resorted to just telling it to turn the screen off when dark. I have an echo dot with a clock on my nightstand anyway. But still, not sure why the behavior changed and no idea how to fix it.

Trees

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
I have been procrastinating on this problem, using USB C to charge overnight. This morning, on the Pixel 5, I went into "Settings/Bluetooth/Previously connected devices/Pixel Stand/Settings(the gear icon)" and clicked on "Forget this device". Then I put the Pixel 5 on the Pixel Stand. The Pixel Stand was detected, and I completed the setup process, which included enabling the Do Not Disturb feature. I will see tonight if this solves the problem.

Trees

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
I put the Pixel 5 on the Pixel Stand at 2304 last night. Screen displayed the large clock. I waited until 2305. The screen did not dim, so I removed the phone from the Stand and plugged into USB C. This morning, I see in Settings/Digital Wellbeing & parental controls\Bedtime mode\Custom\Keep the screen dark (Turn off always-on display at bedtime) that the feature is toggled off (grayed out wit toggle to the left). In the same "When bedtime mode is on" setting, "Do Not Disturb for Bedtime mode" is toggled to On (blue with toggle to the right). I turned on (blue with toggle to the right) the "Keep the screen dark" setting. Tonight, I will see if that changes anything.

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
Geez what a pita... I'm glad I don't use a pixel stand for bedside charging. The older I get the more I realize "keep it simple" makes a heck of a lot of sense lol.

Trees

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
What I tried above did not appear to work. Last night around 2250, I put the Pixel 5 on the Pixel Stand and the large clock appeared on the Lock Screen, no dimming. So, I took the phone off the Pixel Stand and plugged into USB C.

I just checked the "Bedtime mode" setting again. I see that it is set to 'Off". Why is that? I have no idea why it is "Off" as that was set to "On" prior to the upgrade to Android 12.

In the "Bedtime mode" settings, I clicked the "Based on schedule" radio button. The "After" is 2230 and the "Before" is 0605 for Sunday through Thursday. That is the schedule I had for Android 11, and 10 (on the Pixel 3 when I originally purchased the Pixel Stand, and later on the Pixel 5 with Android 11). It's been weeks now since the upgrade to Android 12, and I forgot about the schedule. So the schedule being "Off" explains why the screen did not go dark the past two nights. I will see tonight now that "Based on schedule" is set to "On".

Last edited:

ras47

Mar 21, 2021
Visit site
Mine works perfectly. I get the typical pulse of light when I set my P5 on the stand. It darkens after a few seconds, then goes completely dark a little bit after that. Wake up to find it 100% charged. Super convenient. I love wireless charging!

cyndie1030

Feb 23, 2014
Visit site
I used to tell it to use the clock screensaver when it was docked. Worked perfect with white clock numbers bouncing around the dark screen. That stopped working after Android 12. Only way I can get the stupid lock screen not to show is to turn off when it's dark. So I have to turn off the bedroom lamp before I dock it or I get the lock screen. Then set it on the stand, make sure it's charging and then about 10 seconds after that, it goes dark. Not what I had but better than the lock screen lit up all night.

Trees

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
The updates I made above worked. I set the "Keep the screen dark" toggle back to "Off" to see if the phone while in the Stand behaves as it used to before the Android 12 update. Will see what happens tonight.

Trees

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
Setting the "Keep the screen dark" toggle back to "Off" did not work, and kept the screen on while phone was on the Stand.

Trees

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
I just noticed that "Do Not Disturb" was toggled "On" in the Notification panel Quick Settings. I long pressed on that, and the Schedules setting opened. I noticed that there is a "Pixel Stand" schedule setting. I clicked on the gear icon, and saw that "Screen off when dark" was not toggled "On". I set that to "On". Will try to tonight to see if that changes anything.

I don't know why "Do Not Disturb" was set "On", as it is 0931 and I have been awake for some time and actively using the phone. I may have unknowingly toggled "Do Not Disturb" "On". Maybe this will be a fortuitous "accident" if the "Pixel Stand" schedule setting change above works.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I just noticed that "Do Not Disturb" was toggled "On" in the Notification panel Quick Settings. I long pressed on that, and the Schedules setting opened. I noticed that there is a "Pixel Stand" schedule setting. I clicked on the gear icon, and saw that "Screen off when dark" was not toggled "On". I set that to "On". Will try to tonight to see if that changes anything.

I don't know why "Do Not Disturb" was set "On", as it is 0931 and I have been awake for some time and actively using the phone. I may have unknowingly toggled "Do Not Disturb" "On". Maybe this will be a fortuitous "accident" if the "Pixel Stand" schedule setting change above works.

Go to Settings>Connected Devices​, then tap the gear icon next to Pixel Stand. Make sure the Do Not Disturb While Docked toggle is off.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781