90 hz refresh rate

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
So unless you're a gamer, can you honestly realistically tell the difference between 60 Hz, and 90 Hz? To save battery power, I turn the smooth display completely off... I'm just curious, that's all.

dmxjago

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
So unless you're a gamer, can you honestly realistically tell the difference between 60 Hz, and 90 Hz? To save battery power, I turn the smooth display completely off... I'm just curious, that's all.
I 100% can just by simply scrolling through apps like Instagram and google news feed etc. Really anything that involves scrolling I can notice it. + My pixel 5 has such good battery that i don't see the point on me even thinking about turning it off.

HyperM3

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
I 100% can just by simply scrolling through apps like Instagram and google news feed etc. Really anything that involves scrolling I can notice it. + My pixel 5 has such good battery that i don't see the point on me even thinking about turning it off.
This! I noticed the difference right away when I went from my 3xl to the 5. I've had the 90hz on since day one. No issues with battery life.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Of course you can in everyday task ,is it big difference probably not , can it save battery, sure can .

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
If your struggling with battery to get a day with everything on then something wrong or if want save every bit of battery then power save mode

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Hey thanks for the info everyone! Honestly, I'm Soo anal and paranoid regarding my battery life, that I have smooth display turned off since I bought my phone today it's came out. I honestly didn't think I could tell the difference. I might have to try smooth display again though. I get a day and a half easily and juice per charge right now so I can't complain about that. I just figured that you had to be a gamer on your phone in order to tell between 60 and 90 Hz. I freaking outside love everything about my battery, and my phone, but I've had my screen at 60 Hz since the day I got my phone.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
What I will say that is when you have smooth display turned off For a few months at a time, then you turn them back on, I do notice that the screen is a little bit smoother when transitioning from apps, opening up notifications etc etc. I guess I have to leave it on just to get the full benefit of it lol.

dmxjago

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
What I will say that is when you have smooth display turned off For a few months at a time, then you turn them back on, I do notice that the screen is a little bit smoother when transitioning from apps, opening up notifications etc etc. I guess I have to leave it on just to get the full benefit of it lol.
To me that's one of the biggest features and one reason why i purchased the phone. Ever since i had the pixel 4 xl with high refresh rate I'd never go back to a 60. I don't see the point turning off such a big feature like this it's like me purchasing a phone with a flagship feature and removing a feature. I get it if i was going to be away from a charger for most of the day maybe on a trip or something and i know I would be shooting a lot of video/photos i definitely wouldn't be opposed to "temporarily" turning off smooth display in order to conserve battery for that day. But this would be a specific unique reason other than stuff like that i like to use my phone how it was designed and not feel like I'm missing out you know?

I hope the pixel 6pro has as good of battery life as the pixel 5 that would be fantastic.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
To me that's one of the biggest features and one reason why i purchased the phone. Ever since i had the pixel 4 xl with high refresh rate I'd never go back to a 60. I don't see the point turning off such a big feature like this it's like me purchasing a phone with a flagship feature and removing a feature. I get it if i was going to be away from a charger for most of the day maybe on a trip or something and i know I would be shooting a lot of video/photos i definitely wouldn't be opposed to "temporarily" turning off smooth display in order to conserve battery for that day. But this would be a specific unique reason other than stuff like that i like to use my phone how it was designed and not feel like I'm missing out you know?

I hope the pixel 6pro has as good of battery life as the pixel 5 that would be fantastic.

Yeah no I hear you. I mean I noticed the 90 hertz refresh rate a little bit. I'm using it again on my phone now. I had to offer a while because I just didn't see any benefits. I see a little bit of the smoothness like I said transitioning from apps to apps, checking my notifications etc. So yeah I'll leave it on now. I always value the longest battery life per charge as the highest on my list of course haha.

dmxjago

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
Yeah no I hear you. I mean I noticed the 90 hertz refresh rate a little bit. I'm using it again on my phone now. I had to offer a while because I just didn't see any benefits. I see a little bit of the smoothness like I said transitioning from apps to apps, checking my notifications etc. So yeah I'll leave it on now. I always value the longest battery life per charge as the highest on my list of course haha.
To be fair not every person can view refresh rate the same. Some eyes can't even notice an actual difference from what I've read in the past so honestly if i was one of those people who could not notice I would 100% keep it off as well but for me i can significantly see it.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
To be fair not every person can view refresh rate the same. Some eyes can't even notice an actual difference from what I've read in the past so honestly if i was one of those people who could not notice I would 100% keep it off as well but for me i can significantly see it.

Hehe,Yeah I know what you mean. I've read that as well. I can tell a little bit. So I leave it on for the moment.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I haven't noticed anything. I've become a heavier user over the past few months and I've noticed a slight hiccup here and there - but honestly, it's not even noticeable and this phone is more than capable of getting the job done!

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
I can tell the difference between 60hz and 120hz if I really try but its not even close to being worth losing any battery life for…so I just leave it at 60hz.

anon(10766205)

Aug 17, 2021
Visit site
Have any of you heard whether or not the 6pro will have switchable refresh rate and switchable resolution? I read somewhere that it might have non-adjustable 1440 resolution, and the 6 will have 1080. I'm perfectly fine with 60hz and 1080. I keep my s21ultra at 60hz, 1080.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Have any of you heard whether or not the 6pro will have switchable refresh rate and switchable resolution? I read somewhere that it might have non-adjustable 1440 resolution, and the 6 will have 1080. I'm perfectly fine with 60hz and 1080.

I'm pretty sure that the 6 pro will have a 120 Hertz refresh rate.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samyblaze