Features coming from P6 to P5?

Dws51

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
I was wondering if any of you know what features will trickle down to the Pixel five from the Pixel six?

ras47

Mar 21, 2021
Visit site
The only features the Pixel 5 will get are those from Android 12 updates. Google seems like they're trying to pretend the Pixel 5 never existed. Which features were you hoping to get?

dmxjago

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
The only features the Pixel 5 will get are those from Android 12 updates. Google seems like they're trying to pretend the Pixel 5 never existed. Which features were you hoping to get?
Disagree because magic eraser already got pushed to pixel 5's and 4's.

Scott337

Apr 22, 2017
Visit site
I would guess that eventually the Pixel 5 will get every new feature, as long as the hardware supports it

straygator

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
Disagree because magic eraser already got pushed to pixel 5's and 4's.

So far as I can tell, Magic Eraser hasn't yet been pushed or otherwise made available to my Pixel 5 -- at least, it's not showing up among the editing "Tools" in my Google Photos. Where are you finding that feature on the Pixel 5?

ras47

Mar 21, 2021
Visit site
So far as I can tell, Magic Eraser hasn't yet been pushed or otherwise made available to my Pixel 5 -- at least, it's not showing up among the editing "Tools" in my Google Photos. Where are you finding that feature on the Pixel 5?

Me either. I have Pen, Highlighter, and Text as tools under Markup in Google Photos.

swebb

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
AFAIK, it's not an official feature yet, but there are APK's available for download that will enable this on the Photos app of the P5. Haven't tried it yet, but others say it works.

mggm100

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
I think a large part of the "magic" in Magic Eraser is in the new Tensor chip. It might not work so well on other chips.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
It's really sad that the Pixel 5 is abruptly discontinued. Google really pulled a OnePlus move on that one.

ras47

Mar 21, 2021
Visit site
It's really sad that the Pixel 5 is abruptly discontinued. Google really pulled a OnePlus move on that one.

I know, right? Reminds me of the Russians responding to early inquiries about a disturbance at Chernobyl. Their response was, "Nyet, you must be mistaken. There is no such place as Chernobyl." Google is acting like the Pixel 5 never happened.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I know, right? Reminds me of the Russians responding to early inquiries about a disturbance at Chernobyl. Their response was, "Nyet, you must be mistaken. There is no such place as Chernobyl." Google is acting like the Pixel 5 never happened.

I'm very disappointed about this, and am wondering what will happen if and when my Pixel 5 breaks or has an issue. Will they still have some refurbished 5's to give to those of us who purchased Google Preferred Care? Will they give me a 5a (I don't want one!)? Who knows! :(

ras47

Mar 21, 2021
Visit site
I'm very disappointed about this, and am wondering what will happen if and when my Pixel 5 breaks or has an issue. Will they still have some refurbished 5's to give to those of us who purchased Google Preferred Care? Will they give me a 5a (I don't want one!)? Who knows! :(

Google will give is a deal on a new Pixel 6 or 7. This deal will look exactly like any other trade-in deal and leave us feeling used and abused. I love my Pixel 5 but I do not love the company that sells it. A lot of the people who work for Google are aces but the corporate entity we call Google is a juggernaut that doesn't have time to care about customers.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Google will give is a deal on a new Pixel 6 or 7. This deal will look exactly like any other trade-in deal and leave us feeling used and abused. I love my Pixel 5 but I do not love the company that sells it. A lot of the people who work for Google are aces but the corporate entity we call Google is a juggernaut that doesn't have time to care about customers.

Yikes. I'd love to try the 6 or 7 but I'm happy with my Pixel 5. I guess when the first of us is in this situation, we'll find out what happens! The 5 meets my needs so well, it's hard to envision going to another device, even to another Pixel. But I guess that would be way would happen to me - for now, anyway.

ras47

Mar 21, 2021
Visit site
Yikes. I'd love to try the 6 or 7 but I'm happy with my Pixel 5. I guess when the first of us is in this situation, we'll find out what happens! The 5 meets my needs so well, it's hard to envision going to another device, even to another Pixel. But I guess that would be way would happen to me - for now, anyway.

Over time I have come to understand myself a little. I do not need the ultimate in everything. My Pixel 5 camera is plenty good enough for my needs. I used to get seduced by specs but with maturity comes self-awareness, and it makes life much more simple. In years past I would have *needed* to have the 6 Pro. But with my new found ability to view things dispassionately I no longer feel that burning desire to upgrade. And its a relief! Life on the bleeding edge of tech can be painful and frustrating. My upgrade decisions are no longer dictated by the calendar, but by features. I have 5G and wireless charging on my Pixel 5 - those were the impetus behind upgrading from the 3a XL so I'm set for now. The only thing that would force me to upgrade would be a failure of my Pixel 5. I KNOW Google cannot get me a replacement. There are some listed on Swappa but at those price points it might just make more sense to get a 6 or 6 Pro. However, that's a problem for another day.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Over time I have come to understand myself a little. I do not need the ultimate in everything. My Pixel 5 camera is plenty good enough for my needs. I used to get seduced by specs but with maturity comes self-awareness, and it makes life much more simple. In years past I would have *needed* to have the 6 Pro. But with my new found ability to view things dispassionately I no longer feel that burning desire to upgrade. And its a relief! Life on the bleeding edge of tech can be painful and frustrating. My upgrade decisions are no longer dictated by the calendar, but by features. I have 5G and wireless charging on my Pixel 5 - those were the impetus behind upgrading from the 3a XL so I'm set for now. The only thing that would force me to upgrade would be a failure of my Pixel 5. I KNOW Google cannot get me a replacement. There are some listed on Swappa but at those price points it might just make more sense to get a 6 or 6 Pro. However, that's a problem for another day.

You're right, that's indeed a problem for another day. In the meantime, we'll enjoy our Pixel 5's! I don't necessarily need the latest and greatest, either! And the camera more than meets my needs!

swebb

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
I'm good with the P5 for the same reasons, as long as the battery holds out. Even then, I may just spring for a new battery to extend its life. I really like the size. Checked the P6 and that is too large. I could maybe live with a slightly larger phone, but the P6 is too much a jump in size.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae