Microphone on wired headphones really hot after Android 13 update

subaruzi

Oct 23, 2020
Visit site
Anyone else have this issue?

I tried two sets of head phone. The mic is super sensitive. Too sensitive to be able to use. Have not tried Bluetooth yet.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
When you say it's hot, do you mean it's literally hot from a temperature perspective, or do you mean it's just too sensitive?

subaruzi

Oct 23, 2020
Visit site
When you say it's hot, do you mean it's literally hot from a temperature perspective, or do you mean it's just too sensitive?

It's too sensitive. It's weird because I was using headphones in morning, had my update and the headphones became unusable post update.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
You already checked the headphone jack to make sure there's no debris in there? And also made sure the headphone plug is firmly pushed into place, and not partially out?

subaruzi

Oct 23, 2020
Visit site
Yup.
The plug was seated all the way in. I've now tried 3 different sets and all the same response. I was talking to friend and asked her if it was super loud and she said no.

It's like a hearing aid for ambient noise. It was picking up all the noise around me and amplifying it for me like a hearing aid but not for her. Super weird.

I ended up buying a set of the buds to see if that makes a difference. I'm not having the issue with Bluetooth in my car.

Tzieg

Aug 17, 2022
Visit site
I am having the same problem, immediately after updating to Android 13. It's totally unworkable to have a phone call with wired headphones now after the update. Can anyone help, is there a new setting to disable?

Tzieg

Aug 17, 2022
Visit site
I am having the same problem, immediately after updating to Android 13. It's totally unworkable to have a phone call with wired headphones now after the update. Can anyone help, is there a new setting to disable?

I should add, this is on a Pixel 4a 5G.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Interesting. It wouldn't hurt to send Google feedback about this, in case it's a more widespread bug amongst the Pixels that have a headphone jack.

flyingaround

Aug 19, 2022
Visit site
Anyone else have this issue?

I tried two sets of head phone. The mic is super sensitive. Too sensitive to be able to use. Have not tried Bluetooth yet.

This is NOT just you.
I have the exact same issue.
The same phone. *Pixel 4a
I was on a call, using a wired headset when I noticed I could update to 13.
Set the phone on my desk and I did the update.
I called the person back after the update was completed and what you described happened.

What is going on is the microphone on wired headsets stays "live".
During a call, I hear everything the microphone hears.
The person I am talking to still has background noise suppressed.
Whereas I dropped a TOOTHPICK and heard it hit the carpet.
Imagine a true wireless earbud with Ambient Sound turned up to 11.

It reminds me of the accessibility option where it picks up all the sound around you so you can hear it.

I have used 2 dialers besides the stock Google Dialer.
I have tried 4 brands of wired headsets and one in-ear monitor.
One of which was new in the box purchased a month ago.
I used canned air.
Gently clean the port with a toothpick in case of debris.
I took most of the cotton off a Q-tip so it would fit the 3.5mm (it retains a bit of cotton) and used it to clean the port using 91% isopropyl alcohol.
I took an electronics cleaner (CRC brand) for circuit boards and one of those little Dental Brushes made as a dental floss substitute and very, very gently cleaned the terminals in the 3.5 port on my Pixel 4a to make sure they were not gunked up.

I now have an extremely clean 3.5 mm port.

I also STILL hear everything in the world that headset mic pics up.

It ONLY does this on a phone call. (also tried wifi calling. still happened)
I tried Teams, Zoom, Discord, and Skype and this did NOT happen.

It is, without a doubt, an Android 13 issue.
Someone did not follow best practices.

At a casual glance, I see 13 has a new external audio route with a new API.

That is my best guess.

EDIT: I set up a Google Voice number on my Pixel4a and found something interesting.

When Google Voice is set to Use Carrier Only where it only uses my cell phone carrier I have the above 'hot mic' microphone issues. Incoming and outgoing.

When Google Voice is set up to Prefer Wi-Fi and mobile data I have no microphone issues whatsoever. Incoming and outgoing.

Same phone.
Same wired headset.

The reverse isn't true.
Using my cell phone carrier instead of Google Voice, I get the 'hot mic' problem whether I am using wifi or cellular.

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central, and thanks for that additional info! As above, I would recommend sending feedback to Google about this. If enough people experience the issue, they will hopefully fix it in an upcoming patch.

bob67150

Aug 24, 2022
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central, and thanks for that additional info! As above, I would recommend sending feedback to Google about this. If enough people experience the issue, they will hopefully fix it in an upcoming patch.

I am having the exact same issue, also on a Pixel 4a. I just reported it to Google, I hope they get enough reports to get it fixed.

subaruzi

Oct 23, 2020
Visit site
I ended up buying some pixel buds and I don't have the issue at all. I'm wondering if the beta testers all used wireless headphones and it worked fine.

Roy Frisque

Sep 18, 2022
Visit site
Same issue here. This needs to be fixed. Solution isn't purchasing blue tooth ear buds. I loose those buggers as fast as I get them.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrewsmith