10-27-2021 02:50 PM
50 12
tools
    I think I read that Verizon and AT&T stores will offer a different version of the regular 6 that supports additional bands that aren't supported by the 6 sold on Google's store; same source indicated there was no difference in the 6 Pro whether unlocked from Google or bought in store. Apologies I don't recall where I read it, so recommend taking it with a precautionary grain of salt.
    I read the exact same info from several different sources. The variant G9S9B is mmWave capable, whereas variant GB7N6 has only sub6 capability. The unlocked version is GB7N6. AT&T and Verizon offer the G9S9B, which they charge $100 to $140 more for.
    10-20-2021 02:15 PM
    Is it worth the extra $100 plus $35 upgrade fee for the Verizon model or should I just get the unlocked 6?
    10-21-2021 08:14 AM
    Is it worth the extra $100 plus $35 upgrade fee for the Verizon model or should I just get the unlocked 6?
    Absolutely not IMO. Even if you spend a lot of time in mmwave coverage, the speed advantage will hardly be noticeable. The only advantage I see in mmwave coverage is in a crowded venue like a football game or concert. Whether that is worth the surcharge is an individual decision.
    Joshua Luther2 likes this.
    10-21-2021 09:10 AM
    That's just a stupid move by Verizon to make you pay extra for a feature that should have been available for every model. All iPhones are unlocked and work the same across all carriers. Why can't any other phone manufacturer make a device that does the same. Money is why.
    kbz1960 and firebirder like this.
    10-21-2021 09:51 AM
    Only if you are in a ultra wideband area. Which is currently very limited. It'll be years before their ultra 5G is common place. Don't let it stop you from getting the verizon version.
    10-21-2021 05:11 PM
    That's just a stupid move by Verizon to make you pay extra for a feature that should have been available for every model. All iPhones are unlocked and work the same across all carriers. Why can't any other phone manufacturer make a device that does the same. Money is why.
    The Pixel phones are unlocked, but the cheaper P6 does not have mmwave capability. $100 is the usual upcharge for this capability, so the iPhones have this baked into their price.
    10-22-2021 08:08 AM
    10-22-2021 08:17 AM
    Can't remember if either of the two Pixels I've bought were from Google or not. I know one wasn't but not sure of the other. Anyway, does Google allow putting X amount down and financing the remaining balance over Y months?
    10-22-2021 09:09 AM
    After reading comments on the droid life article, I am wondering if wifi calling will work on the unlocked version?
    10-22-2021 09:30 AM
    After reading comments on the droid life article, I am wondering if wifi calling will work on the unlocked version?
    I've never had issues with WiFi calling on any phone with Verizon
    10-22-2021 09:34 AM
    It should work on TMo and Verizon, plus any MVNO's on these networks that support WIFI calling. AT&T is another story. They restrict some features to phones only bought from them.
    10-23-2021 09:37 AM
    My wifes new phone is a P5a5G and we bought it straight from Google unlocked. We're now on T-Mobile, now an ex 18 year Verrizon customer. The second it see her 5a on our WIFI network at home, it drops the 5G connection and goes right to WIFI calling. Shut off WIFI and it goes back to T-Mobile 5G network My "locked" Verizon P5, which is now also on T-Mobile, does the same thing.

For those of you on the mm wave fence. It does my P5 no good what so ever. We just switched to T-Mobile last weekend. When it was on Verizon, I had the mm wave 5 G twice in an entire years time. And it would only work if I was in downtown proper Charlotte. The down load speeds were nothing to write home about. 4G was better most of the time when in downtown.

As far as them being locked. My Pixel 5 is/was a locked Verizon phone. Which is now on T-Mobile. Yes, you read that right. So what is or was locked on the phone? Is it carrier locked or is it ROM locked by the carrier? Well, it was locked when I first tried to change over to T-Mobile. T-Mobile told me to call Verizon and get it unlocked. What ever Verizon did on there end, they did unlock the phone and it is now on T-mobile.

OK, so where am I going with all of this. My P5 was a supposedly a carrier locked phone. Is the P6 the same way, and will Verizon unlock it so you can use it with another carrier? This is yet to be seen. Or is it being called a Verizon phone just due to the mm wave side of 5G. This Is what I believe is the case. I do know that my wife's P5a had no problem on Verizon before we transferred to T-mobile. I do believe that either P6 will work on Verizon. The question is, do you really need the mm wave side of the phone. Personally, from my experience while on Verizon, I didn't.
    10-23-2021 11:16 AM
    On Verizon on the ultra wideband 5g is only in isolated areas of 60 cities in US. Why even bother with the extra $100 plus dealing with a locked phone?
    GoNavy79 likes this.
    10-24-2021 12:09 PM
    On Verizon on the ultra wideband 5g is only in isolated areas of 60 cities in US. Why even bother with the extra $100 plus dealing with a locked phone?
    Exactly! And from what I saw in downtown Charlotte, if I walked around a corner, the Verizon mm wave 5G dropped every time on my P5. I was constantly going from mm wave to nation wide 5G to 4g LTE. It wasn't to impressive when I did download speed tests either.
    10-24-2021 02:32 PM
    Also, from reading reviews in cities with NFL stadiums it is directly around stadium. No correlation to population center of city.
    10-24-2021 02:54 PM
    The reason I waited so long to get a 5G phone was coverage. A year and a half ago 5G was only in a tiny handful of markets. Now standard 5G is everywhere and its the mm5G that's super limited.

Both my Pixel 5 and iPhone 13 Pro Max get a strong 5G signal almost everywhere in NJ. From what I've read it seems Verizon removed 4G LTE from some towers and replaced it with 5G antennas. I thought they'd simply add 5G antennas while leaving the 4G LTE ones in place. At work Nobody gets a decent signal no matter what carrier they use. But once I got 5G on my Pixel 5 I noticed a strong signal even deep in the building. I asked many times for management to get us a WiFi network for calling from within the building but they whinged about security risks and refused. Dumbasses can't even SPELL security, let alone understand it. We use our personal phones constantly for calling customers and making address corrections on the fly. We NEED to be able to use our cellphones.

So I brought in my own wireless router and an ethernet splitter cable. Set it up as an invisible network so you couldn't join it if you didn't know the name and the bosses didn't know it was there. So for the quarter of the building in which I was most frequently working I had WiFi calling.

Now, however, with decent 5G everywhere I can ditch the secret WiFi and still use my phone.
    10-24-2021 04:04 PM
    I bought my wife a 5A unlocked. Supposedly, we have 5g here. 5g never shows on her phone. It will be interesting what the unlocked 6 shows.
    10-24-2021 04:08 PM
    I bought my wife a 5A unlocked. Supposedly, we have 5g here. 5g never shows on her phone. It will be interesting what the unlocked 6 shows.
    Is this in your house or while outside? My wifes 5a does the same thing until I figured out what it was doing. In the house it will switch to WIFI and the 5G symbol will disappear. More than likely her 5a is using our WIFI for data thus taking a load off the 5G network. If I turn her WIFI off, 5G comes back instantly.
    10-24-2021 04:39 PM
    Is this in your house or while outside? My wifes 5a does the same thing until I figured out what it was doing. In the house it will switch to WIFI and the 5G symbol will disappear. More than likely her 5a is using our WIFI for data thus taking a load off the 5G network. If I turn her WIFI off, 5G comes back instantly.
    Everywhere, went an got an esim this week. The guy in Verizon store said, it's 5g here but your phone will only show 5g when you have ultra wide band!
    10-24-2021 05:15 PM
    I always buy unlocked phones. Verizon (CDMA) requires that certain info from your phone can be found in their system before they can activate it. This is not completely true. They CAN activate it you will probably need to get a supervisor. I don't know if this is still true in 2021. The bottom line is that it can be a real pain to activate an unlocked phone on Verizon but it is worth it in the long run in my opinion.

If you don't want to go through the hassle and intend to keep VERIZON service for a while just get a Verizon phone.
    10-27-2021 07:33 AM
    I have 2 unlocked phones on Verizon. Just pop your SIM in. If it is an older SIM, you may not get 5G, go to a Verizon owned store and get one!
    diesel97 likes this.
    10-27-2021 07:42 AM
    I have 2 unlocked phones on Verizon. Just pop your SIM in. If it is an older SIM, you may not get 5G, go to a Verizon owned store and get one!
    Are you saying they were once locked phones from Verizon and you unlocked them for another carrier? If so, have you found any issues with the device since doing this?
    10-27-2021 09:01 AM
    Are you saying they were once locked phones from Verizon and you unlocked them for another carrier? If so, have you found any issues with the device since doing this?
    I bought the unlocked versions. A pixel 3A in January and 5A at release.
    10-27-2021 09:21 AM
    I got a unlocked 6 pro today. All I did was swap my sim card. Wifi calling and visual voicemail work. 5g works. Easy peesy.
    beantownsouth likes this.
    10-27-2021 02:43 PM
    While ordering I read the unlock policy for Verizon. From what I read all locked phones are unlocked after 60 days.
    Davidoo and diesel97 like this.
    10-27-2021 02:50 PM
50 12