Verizon - Are you able to buy the unlocked version?

cdemot02

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
Re: Verizon

I just remember a one plus phone having the issue so I was hesitant. After figuring this all out it's $230 to the good to go with Google. I had to give up white for black, but it's always in a case.

Joshua Luther2

Sep 22, 2014
Visit site

I can't order the Pixel 6 unless I pay off my phone. I can't say I'm not tempted to sell it. I just need to be happy with my S21 Ultra.

GoNavy79

Oct 18, 2021
Visit site

I think I read that Verizon and AT&T stores will offer a different version of the regular 6 that supports additional bands that aren't supported by the 6 sold on Google's store; same source indicated there was no difference in the 6 Pro whether unlocked from Google or bought in store. Apologies I don't recall where I read it, so recommend taking it with a precautionary grain of salt.

I read the exact same info from several different sources. The variant G9S9B is mmWave capable, whereas variant GB7N6 has only sub6 capability. The unlocked version is GB7N6. AT&T and Verizon offer the G9S9B, which they charge $100 to $140 more for.

swebb

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site

Is it worth the extra $100 plus $35 upgrade fee for the Verizon model or should I just get the unlocked 6?

Absolutely not IMO. Even if you spend a lot of time in mmwave coverage, the speed advantage will hardly be noticeable. The only advantage I see in mmwave coverage is in a crowded venue like a football game or concert. Whether that is worth the surcharge is an individual decision.

Joshua Luther2

Sep 22, 2014
Visit site

Is it worth the extra $100 plus $35 upgrade fee for the Verizon model or should I just get the unlocked 6?
That's just a stupid move by Verizon to make you pay extra for a feature that should have been available for every model. All iPhones are unlocked and work the same across all carriers. Why can't any other phone manufacturer make a device that does the same. Money is why.

sulla1965

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site

Only if you are in a ultra wideband area. Which is currently very limited. It'll be years before their ultra 5G is common place. Don't let it stop you from getting the verizon version.

swebb

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site

That's just a stupid move by Verizon to make you pay extra for a feature that should have been available for every model. All iPhones are unlocked and work the same across all carriers. Why can't any other phone manufacturer make a device that does the same. Money is why.

The Pixel phones are unlocked, but the cheaper P6 does not have mmwave capability. $100 is the usual upcharge for this capability, so the iPhones have this baked into their price.

mookiekillsit

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site

Can't remember if either of the two Pixels I've bought were from Google or not. I know one wasn't but not sure of the other. Anyway, does Google allow putting X amount down and financing the remaining balance over Y months?

swebb

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site

It should work on TMo and Verizon, plus any MVNO's on these networks that support WIFI calling. AT&T is another story. They restrict some features to phones only bought from them.

beantownsouth

Dec 14, 2020
Visit site

After reading comments on the droid life article, I am wondering if wifi calling will work on the unlocked version?

My wifes new phone is a P5a5G and we bought it straight from Google unlocked. We're now on T-Mobile, now an ex 18 year Verrizon customer. The second it see her 5a on our WIFI network at home, it drops the 5G connection and goes right to WIFI calling. Shut off WIFI and it goes back to T-Mobile 5G network My "locked" Verizon P5, which is now also on T-Mobile, does the same thing.

For those of you on the mm wave fence. It does my P5 no good what so ever. We just switched to T-Mobile last weekend. When it was on Verizon, I had the mm wave 5 G twice in an entire years time. And it would only work if I was in downtown proper Charlotte. The down load speeds were nothing to write home about. 4G was better most of the time when in downtown.

As far as them being locked. My Pixel 5 is/was a locked Verizon phone. Which is now on T-Mobile. Yes, you read that right. So what is or was locked on the phone? Is it carrier locked or is it ROM locked by the carrier? Well, it was locked when I first tried to change over to T-Mobile. T-Mobile told me to call Verizon and get it unlocked. What ever Verizon did on there end, they did unlock the phone and it is now on T-mobile.

OK, so where am I going with all of this. My P5 was a supposedly a carrier locked phone. Is the P6 the same way, and will Verizon unlock it so you can use it with another carrier? This is yet to be seen. Or is it being called a Verizon phone just due to the mm wave side of 5G. This Is what I believe is the case. I do know that my wife's P5a had no problem on Verizon before we transferred to T-mobile. I do believe that either P6 will work on Verizon. The question is, do you really need the mm wave side of the phone. Personally, from my experience while on Verizon, I didn't.

reb0957

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site

On Verizon on the ultra wideband 5g is only in isolated areas of 60 cities in US. Why even bother with the extra $100 plus dealing with a locked phone?

beantownsouth

Dec 14, 2020
Visit site

On Verizon on the ultra wideband 5g is only in isolated areas of 60 cities in US. Why even bother with the extra $100 plus dealing with a locked phone?

Exactly! And from what I saw in downtown Charlotte, if I walked around a corner, the Verizon mm wave 5G dropped every time on my P5. I was constantly going from mm wave to nation wide 5G to 4g LTE. It wasn't to impressive when I did download speed tests either.

reb0957

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site

Also, from reading reviews in cities with NFL stadiums it is directly around stadium. No correlation to population center of city.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463