Dolby support

nate0

Trusted Member
Nov 3, 2015
Visit site
Wait till you get to click the over 65 button.

??????Is an honor to meet one. To be in this age of times that we are is a privilege and I could only hope to make it to that category one day. Will mean I stood the test of time in the times I am in now and will be approaching...can't wait to get there lol!

nate0

Trusted Member
Nov 3, 2015
Visit site
I called my dad old man one time , he said if your lucky you'll get here.
I had no idea how right he was.

When I was younger we use to say "oh man!" when something happened we did not like or expect right...well we use to get asked "who you calling old man?" whenever we were heard saying that..lol

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
I'm 32 and feel so old when I have to click the 30-60. Just 2 years ago I would've been in a whole different age group

In seriousness though, I'd use the custom test rather than the age based default.

Just because you're super old doesn't necessarily mean you have bad hearing, or vice versa.

buzzy3970

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
In seriousness though, I'd use the custom test rather than the age based default.

Just because you're super old doesn't necessarily mean you have bad hearing, or vice versa.
Oh for sure. I like that even though my hearing is in both ears are almost the same it's slightly tuned for the ear that might not hear the high times the same. Definitely makes a difference over the standard pre-set tuning.
View attachment 338601

idiotekniques

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
I don't like audio gimmicks for listening to music. A high quality stream, like tidal HiFi, with good headphones, should be the best way to hear music than anything Dolby does to try to trick the ears. Dolby is great for movies - which are primarily about sound effects and dialogue all meshing together with music as well. Just listening to music should be pure and not tweaked. Those audio engineers didn't master those albums and singles with audio gimmicks in mind. Movies, however, are.

I use the Sony xm4 buds running LDAC when on the go using downloaded tidal music at HiFi and master levels of quality. At home I'll use a set of Meze or Dunu IEM's.

nate0

Trusted Member
Nov 3, 2015
Visit site
I don't like audio gimmicks for listening to music. A high quality stream, like tidal HiFi, with good headphones, should be the best way to hear music than anything Dolby does to try to trick the ears. Dolby is great for movies - which are primarily about sound effects and dialogue all meshing together with music as well. Just listening to music should be pure and not tweaked. Those audio engineers didn't master those albums and singles with audio gimmicks in mind. Movies, however, are.

I use the Sony xm4 buds running LDAC when on the go using downloaded tidal music at HiFi and master levels of quality. At home I'll use a set of Meze or Dunu IEM's.
Ldac is the only protocol/service I'd use for wireless audio personally if I had to... But it pales in comparison to over the wire and always will. I shared a day ago that in my opinion the choice technology had when moving local media transmission to wireless was definitely not in favor of preserving the original quality. It's been decades since trying to transmit audio wirelessly and no one company can achieve comparable lossless data to that of a simple over the wire analog dac/jack. All for the sake of convenience ? What consumer wants consumer gets I guess...

idiotekniques

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
Ldac is the only protocol/service I'd use for wireless audio personally if I had to... But it pales in comparison to over the wire and always will. I shared a day ago that in my opinion the choice technology had when moving local media transmission to wireless was definitely not in favor of preserving the original quality. It's been decades since trying to transmit audio wirelessly and no one company can achieve comparable lossless data to that of a simple over the wire analog dac/jack. All for the sake of convenience ? What consumer wants consumer gets I guess...

Having a Schiit Bifrost Multibit DAC and a Burson Soloist MK II amp at home with some nice Beyer headphones, and having the Meze Rai Penta IEM's and some nice Dunu's (sold the Pentas eventually), plus having auditioned other IEM's, I really do appreciate that wired sound is unbeatable. And so I was not interested much in wireless headphones/IEM's until last year when I tried the Senn Momentum 2, and then the Sony XM4 as they supported LDAC, so even better. I also tried the TOTL offerings from Technics and JBL and Cambridge Audio on the wireless tip.

The convenience of wireless on the go is really hard to beat. Pause, change tracks while the phone stays in your pocket. Ambient mode let's outside noise in so you can pause and interact with someone at a store if you need to. Pause music automatically when you take a bud out if you want to hear even better for a minute. Noise cancelling can be really helpful. And no wire, oh man when you are on the go not having to deal with wires, getting in and out of subways/mass transit, or dealing with a tangle or just getting snagged on stuff as you move around, especially when it's winter and you are wearing layers and zippering and unzippering jackets. I mean the pluses are just so numerous to go wireless when you are on the go.

I know they have wireless adapters for regular IEM's and I've tried those too. I have found some to be poor quality, and they just don't have the features of a TOTL wireless IEM and are still way more awkward to get in and out of your ears.

nate0

Trusted Member
Nov 3, 2015
Visit site
Having a Schiit Bifrost Multibit DAC and a Burson Soloist MK II amp at home with some nice Beyer headphones, and having the Meze Rai Penta IEM's and some nice Dunu's (sold the Pentas eventually), plus having auditioned other IEM's, I really do appreciate that wired sound is unbeatable. And so I was not interested much in wireless headphones/IEM's until last year when I tried the Senn Momentum 2, and then the Sony XM4 as they supported LDAC, so even better. I also tried the TOTL offerings from Technics and JBL and Cambridge Audio on the wireless tip.

The convenience of wireless on the go is really hard to beat. Pause, change tracks while the phone stays in your pocket. Ambient mode let's outside noise in so you can pause and interact with someone at a store if you need to. Pause music automatically when you take a bud out if you want to hear even better for a minute. Noise cancelling can be really helpful. And no wire, oh man when you are on the go not having to deal with wires, getting in and out of subways/mass transit, or dealing with a tangle or just getting snagged on stuff as you move around, especially when it's winter and you are wearing layers and zippering and unzippering jackets. I mean the pluses are just so numerous to go wireless when you are on the go.
When you absolutely need supplemental sound or music in headphones yes... Wireless is the way and yep ldac is the only comparable quality imo. I've owned a couple earbuds but I prefer headphones... However I live much differently so my choices are not so limited . I'm assuming Senn is Sennheiser? I've used their mics for over a decade. I owned a pair of Sennheiser wired headphones back in 2008 that I got from Guitar center and wish I had never sold them... I cannot remember the model though..

buzzy3970

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site

We can debate on them being gimmicks all day, but the truth is music is subjective and depends on the listener. I for one like to listen to music that tells stories and will sometimes include interludes or story telling so the smallest detail matters to me. I also prefer Apple music has my music streamer which uses Dolby Atmos and lossless streaming. Gimmick or not playing music from the speakers of the S21 Ultra then playing it from the pixel 6 is a huge difference that I wish was so apparent but it is. The pixel 6 speakers leave a lot to be desired.

nate0

Trusted Member
Nov 3, 2015
Visit site
We can debate on them being gimmicks all day, but the truth is music is subjective and depends on the listener. I for one like to listen to music that tells stories and will sometimes include interludes or story telling so the smallest detail matters to me. I also prefer Apple music has my music streamer which uses Dolby Atmos and lossless streaming. Gimmick or not playing music from the speakers of the S21 Ultra then playing it from the pixel 6 is a huge difference that I wish was so apparent but it is. The pixel 6 speakers leave a lot to be desired.

I always found it humorous that certain reviews would actually test the onboard speaker of mobile phones for full bit play back of audio. Most tech reviewers should focus on the playback over wireless or usbC/3.5mm only. Unless testing the ringer and or voice perhaps for speaker phone. Like GSMarena they would test all of it except the bluetooth play back which I felt was top notch but recently they stopped the full scale audio test and focus just on the the onboard speaker for decibel loudness which to me is bogus. A typical ring or persons voice can range from 500hz to 1300 hz depending and it is just a wash either way trying to build a quantitative review of that since loudness is can be amplified based on how you hold it where it is etc...anyways what I am trying to say is personally I could care less how loud the speaker plays back on a mobile phone...thought it is intriguing how some OEMs make them really loud or even extend the response quite extensively.

TheAngryToaster

Sep 14, 2020
Visit site

I almost forgot that part where everyone's hearing is exactly identical to the music engineer. So everyone will always hear the music how they made it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zatarabr