Will there be a Pixel 6a?

beantownsouth

Dec 14, 2020
Visit site
Since I really like the form factor of the Pixel 5. Do you think a Pixel 6a is in the works? If it is, It would be awesome with the form factor of the P5, the Tensor SoC, the P6 camera and the back finger print reader of the Pixel 5. If they give it the same 4-5 years worth of update as the P6, I'd be first in line to upgrade to it. You'd have three different sized phones with features that would suit anyone in the market.

Thoughts anyone?

Scott337

Apr 22, 2017
Visit site
I think there will be since the a series seems to sell well. But I would bet that if there is it will be the Pixel 6 form factor with a few less features than the 6. Or they could make it smaller, anything is possible?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I think there will be since the a series seems to sell well. But I would bet that if there is it will be the Pixel 6 form factor with a few less features than the 6. Or they could make it smaller, anything is possible?

I'm thinking they'd actually stick with the Pixel 5/5a form factor, to continue differentiating them from the flagships, as well as continue offering the design to customers who prefer it.

I also agree that we'd see it some time next spring.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I think the 6a, if made, would be around April / May 2022 kind of following the a series launch dates.
Sorry I misread, I was thinking u meant this year at some point but see u saying next year and why I said pixel 5a . Yeah next year around that date probably.

Smokeaire01

Jul 3, 2015
Visit site
I'm thinking they'd actually stick with the Pixel 5/5a form factor, to continue differentiating them from the flagships, as well as continue offering the design to customers who prefer it.

I also agree that we'd see it some time next spring.
I don't recall how quickly the 4a5g or the 5 came out after the 4a but it wasn't long after. Of course the 4a release was delayed.

ras47

Mar 21, 2021
Visit site
They pulled the plug on the Pixel 5 surprisingly quick. And flat out discontinued it. I hope this was a one-off situation for Google. If they develop a pattern like that I'll lose a lot of confidence in Google, and how they handled my exchange for the Pixel 5 has left me with precious little already.

beantownsouth

Dec 14, 2020
Visit site
They pulled the plug on the Pixel 5 surprisingly quick. And flat out discontinued it. I hope this was a one-off situation for Google. If they develop a pattern like that I'll lose a lot of confidence in Google, and how they handled my exchange for the Pixel 5 has left me with precious little already.

I too was perplexed by how fast they pulled the P5. A fantastic phone all the way around. Was it because they only made so many of them and they sold out that quick? Or was it something else? And now with the 6 series about to drop, how long before the 5a5g gets yanked. All I can do is sit back and wait and see.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I don't look at the discontinuation of a phone model as "pulling the plug" -- they still support the heck out of it. I would think it has more to do with production, and gearing up for the next model.

TheAngryToaster

Sep 14, 2020
Visit site
Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if we didn't see one. The value for what you get at the price point of the 6 is hard to beat.

The 5a with 5g is 150 less than the 6. Honestly when you compare the 2 the 6 is the obvious choice IMO.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I was thinking they might gear a 6a further down toward the budget/midrange level, as it was originally conceived back with the 3a. The price of the "a" series was starting to climb, so now that the Pixel 6's price point is relatively affordable, they can start cranking it down again. So maybe a smaller phone with the form factor of the 5/5a, with a Snapdragon 7xx series, for about $400-450?

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
When did they stop selling the 5? I had zero interest in it, so didn't pay attention.

On price, while it is excellent value, there are plenty of people for whom £/€/$600 is still too much.

beantownsouth

Dec 14, 2020
Visit site
Well, more importantly they sold poorly enough that it wasn't worth doing another production run.

Maybe the fact that they way over priced them for the actual hardware specs just might have had something to do with that. I bought mine brand new, in the box for 500 bucks. Which I thought was a fair price for it. No way I was spending 700 bucks for it.

ras47

Mar 21, 2021
Visit site
The specs were middling for a flagship phone on the Pixel 5. Personally I don't give a hoot about specs, but the rest of the tech world is enthralled with Geekbench scores. My 5 has everything I need. Plenty of camera resolution, 5G, smooth and fluid animation, bright screen, and superb battery life.

TheAngryToaster

Sep 14, 2020
Visit site
Or it’s the fact that the base 6 is 599 and 5 was 699. Can’t really charge 100 more for a phone with terrible internals. Dropping the price would really **** of all the people who have the 5 and paid the 699. They would have most likely have to drop it below the price of the 6, which would be pointless because of the pixel 5a 5G is already priced in the range and is almost identical to the 5.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nayminthuyain888