Clean install or backup?

swampbaby

Dec 2, 2015
Visit site
Just curios are you guys and gals going to set your new phones up as new with a fresh install? or are you going to install from an Android 11 backup?

Smokeaire01

Jul 3, 2015
Visit site
Just curios are you guys and gals going to set your new phones up as new with a fresh install? or are you going to install from an Android 11 backup?
My Pixel 4a is on A12. I haven't decided if I'm going to do a fresh install on my P6 Pro or a restore from backup. This will be a good time to reevaluate less used apps.

Scott337

Apr 22, 2017
Visit site
Can I inquire as to why you prefer a clean install?
Gives me a chance to review and remember where all the key Settings are at, a time to reevaluate which apps I don't really need, change passwords on apps that haven't been changed in a while, and phones just seem to be less buggy when setup clean.

ezdoit

Sep 20, 2019
Visit site
I always copied from old phone to new phone - BUT - may try a clean install on the 6 this time - I'm in no hurry since the 5a is working just fine.

bkdodger2

Jun 3, 2020
Visit site
With all my Samsung phones lately I've been using Smart Switch but now with this one same as the old pixel I'm going to set up new

jamezr

Trusted Member
Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
I am undecided so far. I always use Smart switch with my Samsung phones and restore from backup.
But for the Pixel and the new themes I might just setup from scratch toget the while new experience

anthonium

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Clean install for me. As tedious as it may be I prefer it. Plus I don't use a million apps either

Sometimes by doing a fresh setup you come across some settings you may otherwise have missed.

ahaxton

May 10, 2010
Visit site
Can I inquire as to why you prefer a clean install?

For me it's because over my time with a phone I tend to install apps that I never use, but can't get myself to uninstall because "I may need it some day." When I install clean, I only install apps as I need them when I actually need them and I can paid down the cruft.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I am undecided so far. I always use Smart switch with my Samsung phones and restore from backup.
But for the Pixel and the new themes I might just setup from scratch toget the while new experience
Maybe just transfer pictures,texts,calls

ras47

Mar 21, 2021
Visit site
Maybe just transfer pictures,texts,calls

Thats what I did with my Pixel 5. I used Google to bring in my contacts and pictures. I let the texts go and started fresh, but I do that routinely anyway. Same with my call logs. I like cleaning up and cleaning out. I'm also a Zero Inbox kind of guy so everything gets filed in subfolders or deleted.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Thats what I did with my Pixel 5. I used Google to bring in my contacts and pictures. I let the texts go and started fresh, but I do that routinely anyway. Same with my call logs. I like cleaning up and cleaning out. I'm also a Zero Inbox kind of guy so everything gets filed in subfolders or deleted.
Yeah i like to clean up clutter, i usually just transfer text and photos those are more important to me , call history or calls i dont need .

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I'll be restoring from the latest backup of my 3a XL (which is already on Android 12). I've never had issues with restoring.

pseudoware

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Even though it can be a PITA, I always start new. Also, I don't save texts and drag them w/me to new devices, I treat them as a one-time info exchange. I copy and save the occasional SMS/MMS content I want to keep someplace else. I also stopped connecting my phones to hundreds of contacts stored in the cloud. I keep a small handful of people locally on my device, so I do need to transfer those or manually re-enter them. Photos are all saved in the cloud.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech