First impressions?

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
I have trouble understanding folks who just can't seem to spare 500 milliseconds out of their busy lives to wait for their phone to unlock.

The statement above that the sensor does not work well with clean dry fingers is consistent with my experience. The phone is also very slippery with dry fingers.

I just breathe on the finger and try again.

I think that the majority of the concern is over the fact that Google could have used a newer ultrasonic fingerprint sensor instead of an optical sensor. With it, it is, simply put, slower. It's not that big of a deal, but if you're used to the capacitive sensors that Google used to use or the ultrasonic sensors used in some other new devices, it just seems to be a regression. That extra half of a second might not seem like any real issue, but imagine if every time you went to pause media it took an extra half second before it actually executed the command.

Personally, I don't really mind it, though. I do miss the capacitive rear sensor for two reasons.

First, it was essentially instant and ergonomic such that when you pull your phone out of your pocket, it is unlocked, and never had a failure to unlock. Second, the added functionality of being able to swipe directionally to trigger other actions was fantastic, and at least to me is sorely missed. In a nutshell, I wish manufacturers would stop making efforts to fix what isn't broken and end up delivering an inferior solution in the name of "progress."

Still, that is probably the only minor issue I have with the phone, and I will gladly accept that for all of the other wonders. It can perform. As an example, this post is fully dictated using their speech to text with no edits. I'm flat out impressed!

buzzy3970

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
I think that the majority of the concern is over the fact that Google could have used a newer ultrasonic fingerprint sensor instead of an optical sensor. With it, it is, simply put, slower. It's not that big of a deal, but if you're used to the capacitive sensors that Google used to use or the ultrasonic sensors used in some other new devices, it just seems to be a regression. That extra half of a second might not seem like any real issue, but imagine if every time you went to pause media it took an extra half second before it actually executed the command.

Personally, I don't really mind it, though. I do miss the capacitive rear sensor for two reasons.

First, it was essentially instant and ergonomic such that when you pull your phone out of your pocket, it is unlocked, and never had a failure to unlock. Second, the added functionality of being able to swipe directionally to trigger other actions was fantastic, and at least to me is sorely missed. In a nutshell, I wish manufacturers would stop making efforts to fix what isn't broken and end up delivering an inferior solution in the name of "progress."

Still, that is probably the only minor issue I have with the phone, and I will gladly accept that for all of the other wonders. It can perform. As an example, this post is fully dictated using their speech to text with no edits. I'm flat out impressed!
I'm noticing more misses on it than the ultra Sonic one on my S21 Ultra. I may reregister my finger, but I can deal with the slight slowness. Just need it to actually work when I use it. At this point I'm more comfortable using a pattern.

Torisen1

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
First impressions. Holy cow it's huge! I love it. Auto brightness is better than on previous pixels. Telephoto is frickin awesome. I kinda miss the back fingerprint scanner. It's frickin huge lol. The screen is beautiful.

scribe4food

May 17, 2010
Visit site
My YouTube app keeps shutting down when I turn the screen off. It'll play whatever I'm watching/ listening to for about a minute, before turning off YouTube.

The finger print sensor has not been an issue for me. But YouTube shutting off when I turn the screen off has been.

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
On my Galaxy phone when I would use the microphone and stop talking for a few seconds the microphone would turn off. On this one the microphone stays on and sometimes we'll go on to record whatever's on TV or anyone else in the room that's speaking and I have to go back and delete it before accidentally texting the person the whole thing

htcrazy

Apr 21, 2013
Visit site
I don't use the FPS so no problem for me. Battery is ok for my use. Only wish I have is that the speakers were better. I plan to keep it and there's always next year.

lcs101

Nov 18, 2016
Visit site
Haven't had it for much more than 24 hours. Coming from my Note10, best thing for me was taking a couple of pictures of my kids indoors and actually getting non-blurry pictures. What a breath of fresh air!

FPS is still a bit finicky for me (particularly for my right thumb for some odd reason). Also, the signal strength (T-Mobile) seams to bounce around a little more than my Samsung did.

srvctec

May 29, 2011
Visit site
First impressions for me so far after having it for a couple days and getting it set up over WiFi without actually activating it yet, is that I like it. Coming from my Note 8 running stock Android 8.0, there are a LOT of changes in Android, some of which seem rather stupid. Other than that, the phone itself seems great so far.

Fingerprint scanner is mostly fine for me with left thumb, working 90% of the time almost instantly. My right thumb usually doesn't work even after deleting and redoing the setup for that thumb mote than once. Not that big of a deal for me since the FPS on my Note 8 doesn't always work and I have to enter my PIN.

Love the sound from the speakers, especially since my Note 8 doesn't even have stereo speakers and isn't that loud or great sounding.

Hopefully the signal and phone calls are fine and I'll find that out on Sunday afternoon when I plan to finally activate it.

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
My first impressions of the Pixel 6 are very good, but like any phone it had it's faults.

The FPS, for the most part; has worked very well for me. It seems to work better the more I use it, but that's probably because gotten used to it and figured out how to place my finger how it wants. It's not as bad as the first Samsung FPS, but not quite ad good as the S21 Ultra. I increased the tough sensitivity, like some suggested, and that improved it a lot for me.

Just like Samsung, I think after some updates, the Pixel FPS will improve.

Call screening hasn't worked for me, but after searching this problem, it's a common issue. Hopefully Google updates and fixes this, because that is a feature I really liked since it was introduced on Pixel phones.

Android 12 is really nice, and I like it more than I thought I would.

It seems to handle wifi calling much better than my S21 ultra. I tuned this feature off on the S21, but this phone works very well with it. I'm am on Google Fi, which is designed to use this feature so that could be it.

Call have work really well so far.

The battery has been great, and this is another thing that's got better as I use the phone. It's not quite on my iPhone 13 pro max level but really close.

I really like the living universe wallpapers, and this Pixel with the tensor chip really handles them well. They were a little jittery at times on previous Pixels phones.

lcs101

Nov 18, 2016
Visit site
First impressions for me so far after having it for a couple days and getting it set up over WiFi without actually activating it yet, is that I like it. Coming from my Note 8 running stock Android 8.0, there are a LOT of changes in Android, some of which seem rather stupid. Other than that, the phone itself seems great so far.

Fingerprint scanner is mostly fine for me with left thumb, working 90% of the time almost instantly. My right thumb usually doesn't work even after deleting and redoing the setup for that thumb mote than once. Not that big of a deal for me since the FPS on my Note 8 doesn't always work and I have to enter my PIN.

Love the sound from the speakers, especially since my Note 8 doesn't even have stereo speakers and isn't that loud or great sounding.

Hopefully the signal and phone calls are fine and I'll find that out on Sunday afternoon when I plan to finally activate it.

Glad to see I'm not the only one having this issue. It hates my right thumb, but doesn't seem to have an issue with my left thumb or my index fingers.

Aflaaaak

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
How is the scratchability? Most reviewers seem to suggest that the new Gorilla Class Victus is more shatter resistant, but it scratches easier than GG 6.
I don't like screen protectors and never had one on my LG G4, which uses GG 3. I carry it in my front jeans pocket, but am religious about never putting anything else in the pocket. After 6 years, it only has a couple very minor hairline scratches.
Will the P6 need a screen protector?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
How is the scratchability? Most reviewers seem to suggest that the new Gorilla Class Victus is more shatter resistant, but it scratches easier than GG 6.
I don't like screen protectors and never had one on my LG G4, which uses GG 3. I carry it in my front jeans pocket, but am religious about never putting anything else in the pocket. After 6 years, it only has a couple very minor hairline scratches.
If you dont mind micro scratches and have insurance incase it drops then should be ok ,me personally no insurance and my work environment would destroy a screen. Wish I could go without one.

bkeaver

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
Unless you're putting it in a pocket with keys and coins you'll be fine. I don't use screen protectors either

Aflaaaak

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
Thanks, Mustang. I put a basic case on my G4 from the beginning. I have had a few drops, but the case did its job and no breaks. It was my first smartphone, so I have been pretty careful with it.
My son just got a iPhone 13 Pro and hasn't had a chance to get a case for it yet. His friends totally FREAK every time he pulls his naked phone out of his pocket LOL!

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Thanks, Mustang. I put a basic case on my G4 from the beginning. I have had a few drops, but the case did its job and no breaks. It was my first smartphone, so I have been pretty careful with it.
My son just got a iPhone 13 Pro and hasn't had a chance to get a case for it yet. His friends totally FREAK every time he pulls his naked phone out of his pocket LOL!
Lol I would freak out also , but you should be ok then , welcome.

bkdodger2

Jun 3, 2020
Visit site
I usually go with no screen protector as well and keep it in the pockets. Not mixed with anything but on this one I decided to add a TPU protector for extra peace of mind..

Aflaaaak

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
I usually go with no screen protector as well and keep it in the pockets. Not mixed with anything but on this one I decided to add a TPU protector for extra peace of mind..

Seems crazy that in 2021, we still even have to ponder the issue...1st World Problems ;).

sulla1965

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
Glass is glass and glass will scratch. Both my P5 and S21 got scratches on them and I'm very careful with my phones. But both dropped onto the floor of my car and the sand and dirt from my sneakers was the likely culprit both times. As pointed out, a screen protector would've saved me both times.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Glass is glass and glass will scratch. Both my P5 and S21 got scratches on them and I'm very careful with my phones. But both dropped onto the floor of my car and the sand and dirt from my sneakers was the likely culprit both times. As pointed out, a screen protector would've saved me both times.

You're right. Glass will scratch eventually, no matter how careful we are with our devices!