Keep losing network connection

skidmark

Dec 25, 2010
Visit site
I picked up my pre ordered pixel 6 this past Thursday, and my phone will randomly lose network connection. I'm on att and I even had a new sim card put in.

Anyone else having this problem?

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I've been seeing some reports on other sites, and a few threads here and there about this. Not sure if a software update is in the works to address it. Have you tried turning off 5G if you can? Is it an older SIM card?

Climb14er

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
I have lost connection to Verizon 5G and LTE, a number of times. This is not acceptable. I've had to completely turn off the phone and reboot to gain connectivity. Google needs to pay attention.

skidmark

Dec 25, 2010
Visit site
I have lost connection to Verizon 5G and LTE, a number of times. This is not acceptable. I've had to completely turn off the phone and reboot to gain connectivity. Google needs to pay attention.

I've factory reset twice and had att put in a new SIM card.

I'm at best buy right now doing an exchange.

skidmark

Dec 25, 2010
Visit site
Sorry I quoted the wrong person.

The only way I can restore signal is a restart, and that is totally unacceptable.

Att does not allow you to change signal to only LTE.

Last edited:

beantownsouth

Dec 14, 2020
Visit site
You know, I wonder if this big solar flare might be part of the problem: https://www.space.com/northern-lights-on-halloween-from-solar-flare-october-2021. Solar flares can certainly disrupt cell signal. I've actually noticed intermittent loss of LTE on my Pixel 3a XL (T-Mobile) over the past few days, with it dropping down to HSPA for short periods of time. So it might not just be the Pixel 6.

Good point B Diddy. I'm also kinda wondering why the phone won't allow him to force it on 4G LTE. My P5 allows it, but the P6 won't? Seems weird to me.

beantownsouth

Dec 14, 2020
Visit site
The issue about not being able to turn off 5G sounds like more of an AT&T thing.:-\

Never gave that a thought. If he pre ordered it through ATT, it very well could be configured that way. If ATT has done that to it, what else can't be changed, versus an unlocked phone from Google. One has to wonder. That's only if it did come from ATT. Otherwise i'm just taking up Android Cental's band width. :D

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
You know, I wonder if this big solar flare might be part of the problem: https://www.space.com/northern-lights-on-halloween-from-solar-flare-october-2021. Solar flares can certainly disrupt cell signal. I've actually noticed intermittent loss of LTE on my Pixel 3a XL (T-Mobile) over the past few days, with it dropping down to HSPA for short periods of time. So it might not just be the Pixel 6.
Good point , I think I experienced that for brief moment don't remember if I was Att or Tmobile at the time .

Evobyte

Oct 27, 2010
Visit site
No I'm experiencing weak signal with the pixel 6 on Verizon. On the one plus 9, Galaxy fold 3, iphone 13 I don't. But also I'm able to access 5g on my Verizon gudp plan with hot spot. So I def won't get rid of it.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
No I'm experiencing weak signal with the pixel 6 on Verizon. On the one plus 9, Galaxy fold 3, iphone 13 I don't. But also I'm able to access 5g on my Verizon gudp plan with hot spot. So I def won't get rid of it.
Your on lte when this happens or 5g ?

beantownsouth

Dec 14, 2020
Visit site
This is interesting article

https://chromeunboxed.com/pixel-6-doesnt-have-mm-wave-5g-unless-you-buy-it-from-these-carriers/

Looks like regular pixel 6 doesn't have mm-wave on unlocked version but the pro does , you need to purchase carrier version for it to have it :(

That's a really good article explaining it all. As I said before, just walking around the corner of a building, I'd lose the mmWave 5G, in Charlotte. It's amazing how many antennas are going to have to be installed. It certainly doesn't travel very far.

skidmark

Dec 25, 2010
Visit site
I was able to return the phone and exchange it for a new one at Best Buy since it was within the 14 day return policy window. No real explanation other than it was probably a defective unit.

Chuck Finley69

Trusted Member
Feb 22, 2015
Visit site
That's a really good article explaining it all. As I said before, just walking around the corner of a building, I'd lose the mmWave 5G, in Charlotte. It's amazing how many antennas are going to have to be installed. It certainly doesn't travel very far.

A VZW sales rep was very matter of fact with me about “line of sight” and that “really for good use, the line of sight with VZW signal needs to be maintained” so he explained not real practical yet.

ras47

Mar 21, 2021
Visit site
The problem with 5G has always been poor building penetration. Just about anything interferes with the signal. Maybe even a strong breeze. (not really but it feels like it sometimes)

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
The problem with 5G has always been poor building penetration. Just about anything interferes with the signal. Maybe even a strong breeze. (not really but it feels like it sometimes)

That's a problem with mmWave 5G, not all 5G. Sub-6 has actually been far better for buiding penetration than LTE, for me.

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
I was able to return the phone and exchange it for a new one at Best Buy since it was within the 14 day return policy window. No real explanation other than it was probably a defective unit.
I'm glad you were able to exchange it. Hopefully your new phone will keep its connectivity much better. :)