Which do you prefer for your photos a 16:9 wide crop or a 4:3 image?

swampbaby

Dec 2, 2015
Visit site
4;6.jpg

The first image is a 4:6 ratio and the second one is a 16:9

16;9.jpg

Im not really sure if the only difference is that ones in wide screen and the other one isn’t. Which setting do you folks use?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Doesn't 16:9 actually use fewer megapixels? It no longer shows how many megapixels in Google's Camera app, but I do see in other Camera apps (like the one on my Lenovo Tab M8 FHD) that 4:3 is always the highest megapixel count, even moreso than 16:9.

nelamvr6

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
I've read in several articles that 16:9 is simply the 4:3 image cropped, and that you don't get the full resolution that your camera is capable of. Most of the articles I've read advise that you should use 4:3 and if you want a 16:9 version of a photo then you can simply crop it yourself.

Just what I've read, I am by no means an expert...

Last edited:

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
I've read in several articles that 16:9 is simply the 4:3 image cropped, and that you don't get the full resolution that your camera is capable. Most of the articles I've read advise that you should use 4:3 and if you want a 16:9 version of a photo then you can simply crop it yourself.

^^ This. That's what I do, always take a 4:3 picture and then crop to 16:9 if I think it could look better, specially in landscape mode.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I've read in several articles that 16:9 is simply the 4:3 image cropped, and that you don't get the full resolution that your camera is capable of. Most of the articles I've read advise that you should use 4:3 and if you want a 16:9 version of a photo then you can simply crop it yourself.

That would jibe with what I mentioned above, about how 4:3 images are always listed as using the most megapixels.

joeldf

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
Yes. Because the sensor itself is 4x3 ratio. Any other ratio is cropping the image, thus reducing total possible pixel count.

Really, it's a preference. But as has been mentioned, take a full res image, then crop it yourself afterwards if you feel the need.

thunderup

Dec 21, 2011
Visit site

Exactly. Just compare the two images posted above. The 16:9 image simply has a portion of the top and bottom of the image chopped off. The sides of the image are essentially identical, so you get less information in the 16:9 image. I agree with the others, shoot in 4:3 and crop later if you want/need a 16:9 image.

anon(40376)

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
It's personal...another link on aspect ratios
https://phlearn.com/magazine/how-to-know-which-aspect-ratio-to-use-in-your-photography/

I say go with the photo, what you think will look the best

fBlXfVs.jpg

jtZCXl2.jpg