Sibilance heard through both speakers

htcrazy

Apr 21, 2013
Visit site
I'm hearing sibilance through both speakers of my Pixel 6 Pro. Sibilance is defined as a figure of speech in which a hissing sound is created within a group of words through the repetition of "S" sounds. An example would be "she sells sea shells by the sea shore". This hissing effect is driving me crazy. Adaptive Sound and balancing makes no difference.

I wanted to see if others have this problem before I decide to return the phone. I listen to a lot of YouTube videos so clear sound to me is important.

htcrazy

Apr 21, 2013
Visit site
Is this only happening in YouTube?
Basically, yes, but good news is that after going into safe mode and back out it seems much better now. I just downloaded a music flac file and it sounded fine. Maybe the speakers have to be broken in or use ai to learn how to act. Just kidding. Music does sound better and louder with adaptive sound off. Thanks for your help as always.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Basically, yes, but good news is that after going into safe mode and back out it seems much better now. I just downloaded a music flac file and it sounded fine. Maybe the speakers have to be broken in or use ai to learn how to act. Just kidding. Music does sound better and louder with adaptive sound off. Thanks for your help as always.
Yeah sometimes going in and out safe mode fixes certain thing , its weird but hopefully it gets better, your welcome.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, I have no complaints about my 6 Pro's speakers. I've never been too picky about a phone's main speakers, because even the best phone speaker will sound kinda silly if you're trying to listen to music or movies with any dynamic range.

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Unfortunately, the Pixel 6 lacks a system wide graphic equaliser. There are equaliser settings for some apps, such as Spotify and Apple Music, but not for YouTube. It is also possible to use something like Poweramp or Neutron Music to play locally stored music files.

What device did you have prior to the Pixel? Did that device have a system wide graphic equaliser?

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, I have no complaints about my 6 Pro's speakers. I've never been too picky about a phone's main speakers, because even the best phone speaker will sound kinda silly if you're trying to listen to music or movies with any dynamic range.

Well, Google seem to agree, because they didn't even try lol

Obviously you're not going to get the best, hi-fi audio from a phone, but you can do a LOT better than this.

I'll be less mad when those Bose noise canceling 700s they gave away with preorders arrive ;)

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
The only non-Google hardware I can compare to are my Samsung Galaxy A32 5G, Lenovo Tab M8 FHD, and TCL Tab 8. The 6 Pro's speakers sounded totally fine when listening to YouTube Music. Not sure what a LOT better would be, and even so, I wouldn't be using any phone as a boombox.:p

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
The only non-Google hardware I can compare to are my Samsung Galaxy A32 5G, Lenovo Tab M8 FHD, and TCL Tab 8. The 6 Pro's speakers sounded totally fine when listening to YouTube Music. Not sure what a LOT better would be, and even so, I wouldn't be using any phone as a boombox.:p

I agree. If I'm listening to lossless audio, I'm using high impedance headphones, not the speakers on the phone.

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
So, in conclusion... The OPs problem doesn't matter, because they shouldn't be using the phones speakers anyway. Good to know.

htcrazy

Apr 21, 2013
Visit site
Yes, it matters, but the speakers are what they are. The best audio I ever experienced using a phone's speakers was on the ZTE Axon 3 and the Razer Phone 2. They both had thick bezels to accommodate the speakers and also had powerful amps to drive them. Now that everyone wants very thin or no bezels at all, it will be hard to produce quality sound from the built in speakers. I mainly just use the speakers for YouTube while I'm away from home or shaving, etc.

Laura is right that for music, a good set of wired headphones is necessary. I mainly use my LG V40 for music, but to test my Pixel 6 Pro I installed Power Amp, downloaded some flac files from my PC, plugged in my Sony MDR-7506 studio monitors along with a HIDIZS S1 Type-C DAC audio converter. The sound was very good, maybe not as good as my LG V40 with its quad DAC, but still very good.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
So, in conclusion... The OPs problem doesn't matter, because they shouldn't be using the phones speakers anyway. Good to know.

No, that's not my point. The issue the OP is facing sounds like it could be a software glitch, which was cleared up after booting into Safe Mode. Your point seems to be that the sound quality of the speaker in general for the Pixel 6 is poor for you. I am saying the sound quality in general is totally fine for me, barring any kind of glitch or defect.

It's not like this sibilance issue is a widespread thing. This is the only post I've read about it.

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Yes, it matters, but the speakers are what they are. The best audio I ever experienced using a phone's speakers was on the ZTE Axon 3 and the Razer Phone 2. They both had thick bezels to accommodate the speakers and also had powerful amps to drive them. Now that everyone wants very thin or no bezels at all, it will be hard to produce quality sound from the built in speakers. I mainly just use the speakers for YouTube while I'm away from home or shaving, etc.

Laura is right that for music, a good set of wired headphones is necessary. I mainly use my LG V40 for music, but to test my Pixel 6 Pro I installed Power Amp, downloaded some flac files from my PC, plugged in my Sony MDR-7506 studio monitors along with a HIDIZS S1 Type-C DAC audio converter. The sound was very good, maybe not as good as my LG V40 with its quad DAC, but still very good.
That's a similar setup that I've used with phones other than my LG V20 and my Samsung Galaxy S10+. I've used a FiiO DAC and the same headphones you have. :)

The only phones that I didn't need the DAC for listening to FLAC and WAV files have been the V20 and the S10+. Obviously, I'll use a DAC again when I get a phone that lacks a headphone jack and a high grade inbuilt DAC.

I also use a USB DAC on my laptop that is connected to my 5.1 computer speakers, since I've yet to find any laptop speakers that provide decent sound.

I don't get many chances to use external phone speakers, since most of the time I'm away from home I'm around other people who wouldn't appreciate hearing what I'm playing on my phone. :p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty