12-07-2021 08:07 AM
87 123 ...
tools
    Hey guys I received the new mid November update on my pixel 6 pro like a lot of the other users and I notice my finger print sensor is much faster. Can someone that has received the update check theirs and try to confirm?
    Ranjen617 likes this.
    11-17-2021 12:39 AM
    I'm one of those weirdos who never thought the FPS on my 6 Pro was ever slow by any measure, so I'm probably not the best person to judge. But I'll pay closer attention and see if things seem even quicker!
    Ranjen617 likes this.
    11-17-2021 02:20 AM
    Yeah I didn't know if it was placebo or not, plus I too didn't have an issue with it before but I do agree that it's a little quicker.
    Ranjen617 likes this.
    11-17-2021 03:32 AM
    This article mentions exactly that.
    https://www.androidpolice.com/google...print-scanner/
    kmf1 likes this.
    11-17-2021 05:25 AM
    This article mentions exactly that.
    https://www.androidpolice.com/google...print-scanner/
    Yay. I tested it over and over and even restarted my phone just to make sure and boy it's lightning fast now.

I never had an issue how it functioned either but boy..... "Thank you Google!".
    jamezr likes this.
    11-17-2021 06:32 AM
    Nope nothing "fast" about it since I'e been having the Nov update. It's still inconsistent.
    11-17-2021 06:47 AM
    @swampbaby Again the update that they are referring to is not the November security update we got at the end of October, this was a 14mb update pushed yesterday. Most people are not getting an alert for this, they have to manually check.
    11-17-2021 07:15 AM
    I'm also one of those people that has not had an issue with my FPS, and never really thought it was slow. But I just opened my bank app and entered my fingerprint. Maybe it's placebo from reading this thread first, but it did seem a little faster to read. In any case it's good to see Google take user feedback serious and push out an update so quickly.
    11-17-2021 07:24 AM
    Just updated my Verizon carrier 6 pro and the FPS is definitely faster. No placebo here.
    I'll continue to check it out today.
    I did not have much of an issue as the FPS was very similar to the one on my 1+ 8Pro and while it was a little slow, it worked almost every time.
    11-17-2021 07:48 AM
    I also have my thumb scanned 3 x sure that helps but for me 100% it's significantly faster.
    11-17-2021 07:53 AM
    I've never had any issues but I agree it does seem to be a little bit quicker at the scan
    11-17-2021 09:10 AM
    The part I'm noticing is not the reliability that was never an issue. It's the amount of time I need to hold my finger down. That's the part that got improved. Overall glad Google is listening to feedback. An improvement is an improvement in my book regardless if it was fine before.
    hub1 and bkdodger2 like this.
    11-17-2021 09:17 AM
    My P6 fps is alot faster now. Just a quick tap of the finger, and BOOM.
    dmxjago and barondebxl like this.
    11-17-2021 10:31 AM
    Same feels quicker but didn't have a issue before
    11-17-2021 11:31 AM
    It still doesn't love my right thumb. It's both more reliable and quicker with my left thumb and two index fingers. It's strange.
    11-17-2021 11:52 AM
    Lot faster now on my Note 20 Ultra.
    bkdodger2 likes this.
    11-17-2021 12:03 PM
    It still doesn't love my right thumb. It's both more reliable and quicker with my left thumb and two index fingers. It's strange.
    Then I recommend rescanning it. I did my thumb 3x and made sure it capture all angles like the sides etc.
    jamezr likes this.
    11-17-2021 12:14 PM
    Then I recommend rescanning it. I did my thumb 3x and made sure it capture all angles like the sides etc.
    I've deleted and rescanned a few times including using two finger prints for the thumb, but not three. I like to be able to use both my pointers and my other thumb, so not a spot of the third. It's just weird how it's so much better with my other thumb and pointer fingers.
    11-17-2021 12:24 PM
    I've deleted and rescanned a few times including using two finger prints for the thumb, but not three. I like to be able to use both my pointers and my other thumb, so not a spot of the third. It's just weird how it's so much better with my other thumb and pointer fingers.
    Literally works for me almost every time even before the update. Hope you can get it all sorted out.
    11-17-2021 12:32 PM
    My FPS does appear to be opening my phone at least a little faster after the update.
    11-17-2021 12:41 PM
    My update is taking forever to install
    11-17-2021 12:44 PM
    The finger print reader in the new release is a bit better. For those of us who come from the Pixel 4 or 5 the situation is still far from what we are used to. And that’s what I don’t get, why do people accept a downgrade. The Pixel 4 and 5 fingerprint reader was 99% reliable and worked in a fraction of a second every time. So, while the new update made an improvement let’s not get complacent. My subjective rating of functionality places speed and ease of opening the phone to be a top event. A flagship phone should not downgrade such important and basic functionality and I don’t accept that it is OK because other phones (Samsung or whoever) are the same. Flagship phones should be better than the previous generation, not several steps backwards.
    11-17-2021 12:49 PM
    The finger print reader in the new release is a bit better. For those of us who come from the Pixel 4 or 5 the situation is still far from what we are used to. And that’s what I don’t get, why do people accept a downgrade. The Pixel 4 and 5 fingerprint reader was 99% reliable and worked in a fraction of a second every time. So, while the new update made an improvement let’s not get complacent. My subjective rating of functionality places speed and ease of opening the phone to be a top event. A flagship phone should not downgrade such important and basic functionality and I don’t accept that it is OK because other phones (Samsung or whoever) are the same. Flagship phones should be better than the previous generation, not several steps backwards.
    This is subjective and you are entitled to your opinion.

For me this is how I feel: I have owned every pixel series since the pixel 1 and I did love the rear finger sensor especially how easy it was to unlock just by simply pulling it out of the pocket and the phone was already unlocked before I even looked at it. That being said, at first I did miss it but after a week or so I no longer miss it as much as I initially did. Now the tables have turned for me and I actually prefer this onscreen sensor bc it works well for me even more so now that it's even quicker + I like the rear aesthetics of the phone without the rear fingerprint sensor.

It's hard for a manufacturer to please everyone. There are going to be at least a few things we won't like no matter what device we pick up.

In a perfect world there would be two options but unfortunately that's not the case Hopefully you can get used to it like I did and eventually not be a deal breaker. Good luck.
    11-17-2021 12:59 PM
    I had a Pixel 3 XL and 3a XL prior to my 6 Pro, and found that the rear fingerprint sensors on those were good, but not significantly better than the 6 Pro's screen sensor (especially after the update). I would have occasional difficulty with the rear sensors recognizing my finger, and forget it if the finger was even a bit moist. In my experience, the 6 Pro's sensor has been pretty much the same speed, more reliable, and has the advantage of not requiring an absolutely dry finger. In addition, I like having the sensor on the front, which means I can unlock it while on the table without having to pick it up.
    TraderGary likes this.
    11-17-2021 01:44 PM
    I had a Pixel 3 XL and 3a XL prior to my 6 Pro, and found that the rear fingerprint sensors on those were good, but not significantly better than the 6 Pro's screen sensor (especially after the update). I would have occasional difficulty with the rear sensors recognizing my finger, and forget it if the finger was even a bit moist. In my experience, the 6 Pro's sensor has been pretty much the same speed, more reliable, and has the advantage of not requiring an absolutely dry finger. In addition, I like having the sensor on the front, which means I can unlock it while on the table without having to pick it up.
    That's a good point actually I had when I had to lift the phone off the table just to unlock it when I'm working in my home office. It's all preference really and why it's sort of subjective. Would of been cool to have both, but I prefer the aesthetics of the phone without one in the rear.
    B. Diddy likes this.
    11-17-2021 01:54 PM
87 123 ...