Pixel 6 Pro replacement under warranty

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smokeaire01

Jul 3, 2015
Visit site
Wish me luck.
Because of a very wonky keyboard and screen unresponsiveness I'm having to send my P6Pro back for a replacement. I first tried the option of getting the replacement first using Google Store financing which is how I bought the phone in the first place. Not allowed apparently, and I don't want to tie up $900 in my bank account. Sooo....I'm having to trust FedEx to get it to Google or not to steal it. I was told the whole process from beginning to new phone in hand will be 10 days. Yeah.. right. Thankfully I have my Pixel 4a to use so it's just a matter of turning on the Google Fi esim.
I hope the process goes well.

Last edited:

dmxjago

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
Must be because of the shortages because every time I had to replace a pixel they would have no problem sending me the replacement first and then with that It would come with a box to ship back the defective device all free.

They used to provide the above option or the other one you mentioned where they would put a hold of a big amount $$ on your account and send you a device first.

I did the first method above multiple times with no problem and I also use the Google store finance + Google Fi customer.

It's a crappy situation to be in, but this early on I get it because they don't even have devices to ship people, but still not an excuse imho bc I believe there should be some sort of reserve of devices for replacement as needed.

Good luck!

Smokeaire01

Jul 3, 2015
Visit site
Must be because of the shortages because every time I had to replace a pixel they would have no problem sending me the replacement first and then with that It would come with a box to ship back the defective device all free.

They used to provide the above option or the other one you mentioned where they would put a hold of a big amount $$ on your account and send you a device first.

I did the first method above multiple times with no problem and I also use the Google store finance + Google Fi customer.

It's a crappy situation to be in, but this early on I get it because they don't even have devices to ship people, but still not an excuse imho bc I believe there should be some sort of reserve of devices for replacement as needed.

Good luck!
The reason I have to send in my P6Po first is because when Google sends the replacement first they need to put a hold for the cost of the replacement on a debit card or a charge card. I didn't want the $900 hold on any of my banking accounts. I wanted to use my Google Store financing since that is how I bought the Pro in the first place but that isn't allowed. So I have to send my phone in first.

Smokeaire01

Jul 3, 2015
Visit site
Good luck my friend with your replacement I'm sorry to see the issue ..
Thanks very much.
I had these issue since day one. I did everything I could think of to solve it. Two factory resets, uninstalling the keyboard app and reinstalling, clearing cache and data. Regardless of what I tried the keyboard and screen issue (uncontrollable wild scrolling) persisted. I'm now back on my Pixel 4a without issue. Actually I'm enjoying my 4a somewhat more than the 6Pro.

bkdodger2

Jun 3, 2020
Visit site
Thanks very much.
I had these issue since day one. I did everything I could think of to solve it. Two factory resets, uninstalling the keyboard app and reinstalling, clearing cache and data. Regardless of what I tried the keyboard and screen issue (uncontrollable wild scrolling) persisted. I'm now back on my Pixel 4a without issue. Actually I'm enjoying my 4a somewhat more than the 6Pro.
I'm sure once you have a good working phone you will enjoy the pro just as much. Obviously that 4a is a small compact easy carry ..

Smokeaire01

Jul 3, 2015
Visit site
I'm sure once you have a good working phone you will enjoy the pro just as much. Obviously that 4a is a small compact easy carry ..
I'm sure I will. One thing I won't enjoy is the curved sides of the screen. I dislike it immensely. I'm already planning on using the 6Pro as trade-in for the P7Pro, as long as it doesn't have the curved sides.

bkdodger2

Jun 3, 2020
Visit site
I'm sure I will. One thing I won't enjoy is the curved sides of the screen. I dislike it immensely. I'm already planning on using the 6Pro as trade-in for the P7Pro, as long as it doesn't have the curved sides.
Haha that's too funny. If you get just the right case, it will minimize that curve.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Oh, no! What a horrible thing to have happen! I don't blame you for not wanting to have $900 tied up on your debit or credit card. Not worth it! Keep us posted on what happens!

Smokeaire01

Jul 3, 2015
Visit site
Haha that's too funny. If you get just the right case, it will minimize that curve.
I already have a case that comes with a screen protector that has a special dot (adhesive) that is supposed to improve fingerprint sensing. I've had it for several weeks. I didn't put it on since I knew the ultimate fate for the phone was a return for replacement.

Smokeaire01

Jul 3, 2015
Visit site
Oh, no! What a horrible thing to have happen! I don't blame you for not wanting to have $900 tied up on your debit or credit card. Not worth it! Keep us posted on what happens!
Oh I will. This will be a test of Google's exchange policy, function and efficiency.

ras47

Mar 21, 2021
Visit site
Oy vey - I hope you have better luck than I did with my Pixel 5 replacement. What a stupid saga that turned into!

Make sure they don't get away with sticking you on a $35 restocking fee. I initiated an online chat and got this charge reversed, but they did try to stick me with it.

anthonium

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
I ended up RMA'ing my Pixel 6 and opted to place the hold on my credit card. It took about a week and half for the RMA to ship from Google and about two days to arrive. Fortunately I received a brand new device as opposed to refurbished. This of course is bound to change in the long run but I was well within the return period so maybe that's why.

With inventory on the Pixel 6 pro and the upcoming holiday season, I can see why there might be a delay with getting one out to you but here's hoping it doesn't take too long! Best of wishes!

ras47

Mar 21, 2021
Visit site
My situation was complicated by the Pixel 5 being discontinued. I made it clear to Google in multiple chats that I had bought new and insisted on a new device as a replacement, not a refurb. The 6/6 Pro had not quite been opened up for preorder and the retirement of the Pixel 5 was not official, but everybody was already talking about it. The Google Store page showed the 4a 5G, 5a, and 5.

Smokeaire01

Jul 3, 2015
Visit site

Good luck!
Hmm...since I'm a Google Fi customer I wonder if I bought the P6P through Fi if they would have sent me the phone first since they could always add it to our monthly bill. Oh well, maybe next time.

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
The reason I have to send in my P6Po first is because when Google sends the replacement first they need to put a hold for the cost of the replacement on a debit card or a charge card. I didn't want the $900 hold on any of my banking accounts. I wanted to use my Google Store financing since that is how I bought the Pro in the first place but that isn't allowed. So I have to send my phone in first.

I had to send in a Pixel 2 XL ( 2017 ) once while in the return period. Also would send replacement out first and a return method for the defective phone and put a credit hold on a credit card / debit card.
Once they receive your phone the hold charge gets dropped

But what they do not allow is to put that hold charge on your Google financing account.

So have to different charge card other then Google financing account , or send your phone back first

In 2017 they did keep a reserve of Pixels to send out though

Last edited:

Smokeaire01

Jul 3, 2015
Visit site
I had to send in a Pixel 2 XL ( 2017 ) once while in the return period. Also would send replacement out first and a return method for the defective phone and put a credit hold on a credit card / debit card.
Once they receive your phone the hold charge gets dropped

But what they do not allow is to put that hold charge on your Google financing account.

So have to different charge card other then Google financing account , or send your phone back first

In 2017 they did keep a reserve of Pixels to send out though
I have already posted all that and what I did in the above posts.

Smokeaire01

Jul 3, 2015
Visit site
Update.
Sunday I dropped my P6PRO off at the Post office with the provided USPS label attached. Tuesday I received a notification that it was handed over to a returns agent and the USPS will no longer be tracking it. WHAT??!! What the ****is a return agent?
I decided to call the Postal Service. Listening to the novel that is the automated phone menu and trying every option I realized there isn't any way to speak directly to a real person. So I did a search. Lesson 1: During the spoken menu litany say"Agent". Bingo! One option is to have an agent call back instead of waiting on hold. I chose that one and within a minute or two I received the call.
Lesson 2: The agent told me a "Returns Agent" is a carrier contracted by the company, Google in this case, to handle the returns. In this case it is FedEx. The local post office is just a holding station for the pickup by FedEx. I should have just taken it to FEx in the first place instead of having the P6P sit at the PO for two days. Oh well. Two lessons learned.
Now the waiting really begins.
Have a happy Stuff Your Belly Day.

anon(40376)

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
That sucks. I know when it comes the other way Fedex to USPS (smartpost) it is still trackable. But I agree, when returning something like a phone you sure do want to get a notice that it was actually delivered to the company. When I returned my S20 a few years ago, Samsung did give me some problems on the return; however, the information that it was received by Samsung, ended that debate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
knowledge is power