Pixel 6 Pro sim issues

mgbosshogg

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
I'm well aware that mediocre hardware with great camera software is the Pixel line M.O.

But I have 1 bug that is more than annoying. Before I return this device I'm interested if anyone else has experienced it.

Dual SIM. Physical sim won't connect to the network when coming off WiFi.
Esim is fine. Happens perhaps every 10th time or so. Obviously don't notice it until I wonder why I have not had any notifications in a while.

Toggle of flight mode forces it to reconnect.

No such issue with the same sim in my dual SIM iPhone 13 or S21U. The same sim setup was also on my Oppo X3 Pro and Mi11U without problem before selling them.

With the flight mode toggle fixing it , it seems a software glitch.

I have factory reset already to no avail .

Anyone else?

Cheers
Boss

bkdodger2

Jun 3, 2020
Visit site
I don't use dual SIM here in the US Verizon ..but just curious if you have below settings ..
cd9fe818f0f4c3b0f9d00bd8141d7f3a.jpg

Smokeaire01

Jul 3, 2015
Visit site
I'm well aware that mediocre hardware with great camera software is the Pixel line M.O.

But I have 1 bug that is more than annoying. Before I return this device I'm interested if anyone else has experienced it.

Esim is fine. Happens perhaps every 10th time or so. Obviously don't notice it until I wonder why I have not had any notifications in a while.

No such issue with the same sim in my dual SIM iPhone 13 or S21U. The same sim setup was also on my Oppo X3 Pro and Mi11U without problem before selling them.

Anyone else?

Cheers
Boss
I have a couple of suggestions.
See screenshot 1. Do you have that on? I would recommend turning that on.
Screenshot 2. This is what I have set in Developer options.
Now my wife has the first and third turned on.
We both have Google Fi esims installed and our phone automatically switches between wifi (and wifi calling) and cell calling and mobile data.
I'm not sure these will help or even if I fully understand your issue since we only have one sim installed.
ca047461f49209d807a262ce9df63301.jpg
f1f4eded6c41ee170f451e4d2a1bef0b.jpg

mgbosshogg

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
I have a couple of suggestions.
See screenshot 1. Do you have that on? I would recommend turning that on.
Screenshot 2. This is what I have set in Developer options.
Now my wife has the first and third turned on.
We both have Google Fi esims installed and our phone automatically switches between wifi (and wifi calling) and cell calling and mobile data.
I'm not sure these will help or even if I fully understand your issue since we only have one sim installed.
ca047461f49209d807a262ce9df63301.jpg
f1f4eded6c41ee170f451e4d2a1bef0b.jpg
Thanks for the suggestions.

I already have adaptive connection on.
I'll try switching the forced mobile connection on in dev settings.

The issue I face is simply - randomly when leaving WiFi my physical sim won't kick in.
Never happens with the esim. Exclamation mark on sim one until I toggle flight mode. Happens perhaps once every dozen times leaving the house.

Smokeaire01

Jul 3, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for the suggestions.

I already have adaptive connection on.
I'll try switching the forced mobile connection on in dev settings.

The issue I face is simply - randomly when leaving WiFi my physical sim won't kick in.
Never happens with the esim. Exclamation mark on sim one until I toggle flight mode. Happens perhaps once every dozen times leaving the house.
Are you even able to have both sims connected simultaneously?

mgbosshogg

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
Are you even able to have both sims connected simultaneously?
For mobile data, no. But as a mobile service, yes. They can both receive / make calls at any time. With this bug sim one disconnects from the service completely when coming off wifi instead of connecting to 4G / 5G. Resulting in an exclamation mark / zero service on sim one. Esim 2 remains connected ( obviously just as a mobile service as it's not selected for mobile data ).

As stated, no issues with this exact same setup / sim on my many other devices.

Toggle flight mode or reboot to regain service on sim one .

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
For mobile data, no. But as a mobile service, yes. They can both receive / make calls at any time. With this bug sim one disconnects from the service completely when coming off wifi instead of connecting to 4G / 5G. Resulting in an exclamation mark / zero service on sim one. Esim 2 remains connected ( obviously just as a mobile service as it's not selected for mobile data ).

As stated, no issues with this exact same setup / sim on my many other devices.

Toggle flight mode or reboot to regain service on sim one .

That sounds like a system bug.... most likely something else that will have to be ironed out in 12 :-\

swebb

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
I have no way of testing this now, but it could be an Android 12 bug. On 11, I briefly had 2 sims on my P5. There were selection options under the network settings to select which sim to use for outgoing phone calls (or even ask every time), and which sim to use for data. Worked perfectly.

DevelopmentEngr

Dec 2, 2021
Visit site
Re: cell signal dropping. After extensive review of the issue worldwide by virtually all service providers including Google Fi...all of the data suggests that the Antenna in Google Pixel 6 phones is inadequate. I have worked on product development teams that developed products requiring similar antennas and it is extremely challenging to achieve optimal antenna functional and performance. If the antenna is not optimized there are issues exactly the same as everyone is reporting on the Pixel 6 phones. Further I have switched back and forth from my One Plus 9pro and my new Pixel 6pro using the same service provider and exactly the same configuration on both phones. The 9pro always has connectivity and the 6pro RARELY has connectivity. So what is the fix...nothing can be done to improve connectivity as the issue is in the design, placement and materials of the antenna, and materials covering and surrounding the antenna. For example the plastic covering the Antenna can significantly impact the function of the antenna.

anon(40376)

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
"Extensive review of the issue worldwide" by whom? You or the providers?

"All Data suggests." Some of that suggested data would be nice.

"Google 6 phones." Implying both models or just the Pixel 6 model only?

Implying providers are selling phones that are a known problem on their system sounds like a big problem for the providers and won't even go into the liability problem if this was ever disclosed. (Attorneys drool over large class action suits that benefit only themselves.)

Also which antennas are covered by plastic. Only one I noted in watching teardowns was the 5g mmwave at the top of the phone.

And since when does plastic stop a cell signal? Considering the great majority of phone protection cases are manufactured with TPU (Thermoplastic polyurethane) and TPU is manufactured with rubber and plastic; sometimes reinforced with ABS (Acrylonitrile Butadiene Styrene) which is a thermoplastic would make it appear very few phones could get a good signal if at all.

Also, many phones are made with plastic backs such as the S21 and previous probably most of the Moto lineup from memory.

So, can't speak for others, but I sure would like to see more info. I have spent the last month researching the heck out of this phone and although I have seen a few threads with problems of connection issues; nothing has really stood out. And considering the internet is a place people come to complain more than compliment, I would think there this forum would be flooded with connection issue complaints.

Should be easy to supply this information for our reading enjoyment.

Thanks....

Last edited:

Smokeaire01

Jul 3, 2015
Visit site
I like simplicity. I have a Google Fi eSIM. I always have connectivity.
We have Google Fi and I bought the Fi offered P6Pro. Great connection, and I was surprised to find I got 5g at home. Since I work from home and connected to my wifi I use wifi calling. When I leave the house my mobile connections are great.

bassplayrguy

Trusted Member
May 3, 2013
Visit site

Anyone else?

Cheers
Boss
Mediocre hardware yeah right.

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
We have Google Fi and I bought the Fi offered P6Pro. Great connection, and I was surprised to find I got 5g at home. Since I work from home and connected to my wifi I use wifi calling. When I leave the house my mobile connections are great.

That's precisely what I did.
I love my Pixel 6 Pro.
I love Google Fi.

swebb

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
Re: cell signal dropping. After extensive review of the issue worldwide by virtually all service providers including Google Fi...all of the data suggests that the Antenna in Google Pixel 6 phones is inadequate. I have worked on product development teams that developed products requiring similar antennas and it is extremely challenging to achieve optimal antenna functional and performance. If the antenna is not optimized there are issues exactly the same as everyone is reporting on the Pixel 6 phones. Further I have switched back and forth from my One Plus 9pro and my new Pixel 6pro using the same service provider and exactly the same configuration on both phones. The 9pro always has connectivity and the 6pro RARELY has connectivity. So what is the fix...nothing can be done to improve connectivity as the issue is in the design, placement and materials of the antenna, and materials covering and surrounding the antenna. For example the plastic covering the Antenna can significantly impact the function of the antenna.

This is all rubbish.

anon(40376)

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
https://www.reviewgeek.com/53250/plastic-phones-are-the-best-phones/

Interesting....
"You know the white or gray lines that run on the top and bottom edges of your phone? Those are antenna bands—although they aren’t actually antennas. Instead, they’re strips of plastic that allow your cellphone’s antenna signal to slip past the metal frame that holds all that glass together.

But plastic is practically invisible to radio waves. Phone manufacturers don’t need to worry about antenna bands or signal strength while working on plastic phones, which makes it a lot easier to deal with sensitive 5G technology. It’s also (maybe) the reason why both the $1,000 Galaxy Note 20 5G and the sub-$500 Moto G 5G Plus rock our favorite material—plastic! Turns out it’s not just budget phones, even in 2020."

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar