Fingerprint sensor trick?

gendo667

Trusted Member
Jun 6, 2015
Visit site
I'm curious if anyone else has noticed. I feel like I'm having more success on the lower left side of the sensor. Maybe it's just me, maybe it's nothing. Just thought I'd post as see if anyone else sees this. It's not perfect but it's something I've picked up on.

dmxjago

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
No issues for me the sensor has worked well for me since launch. Initially it was a little slower then I'd like it to be but was accurate and worker almost every single time. Since the update last week it's been significantly blaster for me and feels great unlocking my phone now. I'm happy with the sensor.

I did scan my thumbs 2 times each and made sure I scanned every part of the finger print. Also, I'm using a non certified screen protector from a company called LK and literally I have no issues.

Good luck, I hope you all have or start to have a similar experience like I have been having.

PixelKing

Nov 19, 2021
Visit site
I don't always depress my thumb or index fingers fully. I scan my fingers in the phone at an angle and in the same manner for which I unlock my phone. That's what works best for me.

GoNavy79

Oct 18, 2021
Visit site
Just learned a trick to make the fps quick and snappy. Go into settings and search for "animations" and tap "remove animations." Now, switch the toggle to remove animations. The entire phone is alot faster now.

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
I've only had my Pixel 6 Pro for two days. I was really concerned with what I was reading about how bad the FPS was. I'm not a one-handed user. I hold my phone in my left hand and use my right index finger as the mouse. When I set it up, I very carefully followed the instructions to scan all sides and tip of my right index finger. I'm happy that, so far, my FPS has worked very well. For me, the trick was carefully following instructions!

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I agree. I happen to enjoy the animations.
I think what you are seeing is a placebo effect. Disabling animations only affects things like window transitions. If you are doing anything processor intensive, like gaming, you will not see any different in performance.

anon(40376)

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
Disabling ANY feature on a phone (Pixel or other) to allow another function to work as it is supposed to (especially a FPS) is ludicrous!

Sure hope nothing like this is needed when I get my phone in a few weeks (hopefully)...

gendo667

Trusted Member
Jun 6, 2015
Visit site
Disabling ANY feature on a phone (Pixel or other) to allow another function to work as it is supposed to (especially a FPS) is ludicrous!

Sure hope nothing like this is needed when I get my phone in a few weeks (hopefully)...
You kinda get used to it. Placement and duration. Coming from the S21 Ultra, my Pixel 6 fingerprint scanner has a completely feel to it.

anon(40376)

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
I understand it will be a learning experience. I'm coming from a 4XL with facial rec to open the phone, so having to place a digit on a screen to be read by a sensor (optical or ultrasonic) to open the phone will be a learning experience. I just do not like to compromise between features, even if there are features on a phone some will never use or miss. It is just not the way something should be built.

gendo667

Trusted Member
Jun 6, 2015
Visit site
I understand it will be a learning experience. I'm coming from a 4XL with facial rec to open the phone, so having to place a digit on a screen to be read by a sensor (optical or ultrasonic) to open the phone will be a learning experience. I just do not like to compromise between features, even if there are features on a phone some will never use or miss. It is just not the way something should be built.
Oh you'll get no argument from me and I've disabled nothing on my device. Just saying it feels different than my other phone.

bkdodger2

Jun 3, 2020
Visit site
I've always disabled animations. It's the first thing I do on every phone once I get into the developer options. But I don't think that's making any improvement to the fingerprint. I have to say though I've had no issues with it since day one and it has improved to the point that now I don't even look sometimes and I can unlock to glance at it... Obviously there are a lot of people that are still having issues with it so hopefully more software updates will help..

anon(40376)

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
You kinda get used to it. Placement and duration. Coming from the S21 Ultra, my Pixel 6 fingerprint scanner has a completely feel to it.

Moving from the S21 to the Pixel 6 pro? What about the S21 did you not like? I'm sitting here, still debating between the two; still leaning toward the P6P. However, to be honest, if the price of the S21 drops, I might flip.

anon(40376)

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
I've always disabled animations. It's the first thing I do on every phone once I get into the developer options. But I don't think that's making any improvement to the fingerprint. I have to say though I've had no issues with it since day one and it has improved to the point that now I don't even look sometimes and I can unlock to glance at it... Obviously there are a lot of people that are still having issues with it so hopefully more software updates will help..

The P6 and P6P have complaints as well as many compliments. Looking back at the Pixel 4XL threads, it was basically the same, and if I had paid attention I would never have purchased the 4XL which has been great. However I returned a S20 due to the FPS, that had a SW update a month or two after I returned the phone that greatly helped it, however, the big change was made when the s21 was released with a 70+ percent larger updated sensor.

I have learned to read both sides and understand the ONLY way to make a decision is to obtain the product, use it and find out what complaints and compliments were correct; if any. Or, possibly those with complaints have the proverbial "lemon" and anything human made has a chance of being defective.

If I do get the P6P, and at this time, that is my intention, I'll happily make my own decision.

I do hope that if there are some SW defects in the phones, that google will hurry up and get those fixed.

gendo667

Trusted Member
Jun 6, 2015
Visit site
Moving from the S21 to the Pixel 6 pro? What about the S21 did you not like? I'm sitting here, still debating between the two; still leaning toward the P6P. However, to be honest, if the price of the S21 drops, I might flip.

S21 Ultra (which I still have) to a Pixel 6 (not pro). My wife's idea actually. I still love my Ultra and I'll pop my sim back in it at some point, but the Pixel 6 does a MUCH better job with pictures of our constantly moving toddler. Capturing images my Ultra could never capture. It would just be a blurry mess with the S21 Ultra. The Pixel 6 also takes better pictures in artificial light. I've captured brilliant pictures of our son Simon outside, but then there's the issue with motion. It really comes down to Google's software/processing.

All this to say, Samsung's camera is really good. Great at times, but Google is better. If I'm honest, I think I prefer Samsung's version of Android/One UI. But the Pixel Launcher is totally growing on me.

bkdodger2

Jun 3, 2020
Visit site
The P6 and P6P have complaints as well as many compliments. Looking back at the Pixel 4XL threads, it was basically the same, and if I had paid attention I would never have purchased the 4XL which has been great. However I returned a S20 due to the FPS, that had a SW update a month or two after I returned the phone that greatly helped it, however, the big change was made when the s21 was released with a 70+ percent larger updated sensor.

I have learned to read both sides and understand the ONLY way to make a decision is to obtain the product, use it and find out what complaints and compliments were correct; if any. Or, possibly those with complaints have the proverbial "lemon" and anything human made has a chance of being defective.

If I do get the P6P, and at this time, that is my intention, I'll happily make my own decision.

I do hope that if there are some SW defects in the phones, that google will hurry up and get those fixed.

I'm confident they'll clear up anything software wise .. IMO, this is the best. Pixel phone to date ..

bxrider117

Jan 8, 2010
Visit site

I had both the S21 Ultra and Pixel Pro. I have always had a Samsung phone because of the camera and my wife needing great pictures and being an iphone user. She now has the iPhone 13 pro so my phone is not needed for photos.
I went with the pixel instead of the ultra because I love pure Android. Samsung is great but has a lot of redundant apps. I've been waiting for a flagship level pixel and the pro is comparable to the ultra as far as screen, photos and refresh rate. Still gauging the battery life. The screen on time seems to be on par with Samsung as well.