Fingerprint sensor trick?

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
Since I've been using the 6 pro, I have to admit the FPS isn't the greatest. It's not horrible, but has frustrated me at times. and my left thumb does seem to work more consistently than the right.

The key for me is, my hands have to be clean, and clean plus moisturized works the best. I guess what makes it not so bad is, it still works if you apply some pressure, even if the first two conditions aren't met; but not always.

I'm a Pixel fan, but the in screen FPS is just inconsistent. I understand peoples frustrations, and it's just something I can deal with.

CHILLYWILL_95831

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
Just learned a trick to make the fps quick and snappy. Go into settings and search for "animations" and tap "remove animations." Now, switch the toggle to remove animations. The entire phone is alot faster now.

Why is this necessary. The phone is plenty fast. I like the animations. We're beyond the point where phones are laggy because they're trying to do animations. This phone is awesome and I love the animations. Give me a break by trying to make it faster. How much time are we talking about? A split second? Is that really worth it?

GoNavy79

Oct 18, 2021
Visit site
Why is this necessary. The phone is plenty fast. I like the animations. We're beyond the point where phones are laggy because they're trying to do animations. This phone is awesome and I love the animations. Give me a break by trying to make it faster. How much time are we talking about? A split second? Is that really worth it?

Well. I wasn't trying to make it faster. I simply was trying to make the fps better and happened to notice a difference in speed in loading apps. I agree with you, I love the animations and am quite happy with the speed of the device..even though it's as slow as an old dog compared to my s21ultra.

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
Since I've been using the 6 pro, I have to admit the FPS isn't the greatest. It's not horrible, but has frustrated me at times. and my left thumb does seem to work more consistently than the right.

The key for me is, my hands have to be clean, and clean plus moisturized works the best. I guess what makes it not so bad is, it still works if you apply some pressure, even if the first two conditions aren't met; but not always.

I'm a Pixel fan, but the in screen FPS is just inconsistent. I understand peoples frustrations, and it's just something I can deal with.

I think too many just tap instead of holding and waiting the couple of milliseconds to feel the haptic buzz. When I do that, my FPS is totally reliable.

GoNavy79

Oct 18, 2021
Visit site
I think too many just tap instead of holding and waiting the couple of milliseconds to feel the haptic buzz. When I do that, my FPS is totally reliable.

I noticed if I have been handling cardboard or some paper products my fingers get really dry and the fps won't work. After I moisturize my hands with hand sanitizer the fps is fast. And then as my hands begin to gradually dry out the fps will slow down.. and down..and down. Moisturize hands. Then it's fast again.

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
I noticed if I have been handling cardboard or some paper products my fingers get really dry and the fps won't work. After I moisturize my hands with hand sanitizer the fps is fast. And then as my hands begin to gradually dry out the fps will slow down.. and down..and down. Moisturize hands. Then it's fast again.

That's quite interesting. I never do any of that. I'm 80 years old and my fingerprints are indistinct and hard to see. When I got my carry permit, they had to really work to get reliable prints. I can look at the fingers of family youngsters and their fingerprints are so distinct. Mine you can barely see. I was sure that the FPS on my new Pixel 6 Pro would be problematic. It was just the opposite. Total reliability. If I tap, reliability is maybe 50% at best. If I press and hold until I feel the haptic buzz, total reliability.

anon(40376)

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
That's quite interesting. I never do any of that. I'm 80 years old and my fingerprints are indistinct and hard to see. When I got my carry permit, they had to really work to get reliable prints. I can look at the fingers of family youngsters and their fingerprints are so distinct. Mine you can barely see. I was sure that the FPS on my new Pixel 6 Pro would be problematic. It was just the opposite. Total reliability. If I tap, reliability is maybe 50% at best. If I press and hold until I feel the haptic buzz, total reliability.

Biggest worry I have about the phone is the FPS. I will not moisturize my fingers/thumbs etc., just to have to use an outdated FPS that google decided to use on this phone. WON'T HAPPEN. If it does appear to be a problem, the phone will be returned and I'll get a phone that uses an Ultrasonic reader and move on from there. I want the Pixel, but it is not the only game in town.

So, hopefully, it will work as your FPS works and all will be well.

Smokeaire01

Jul 3, 2015
Visit site
Biggest worry I have about the phone is the FPS. I will not moisturize my fingers/thumbs etc., just to have to use an outdated FPS that google decided to use on this phone. WON'T HAPPEN. If it does appear to be a problem, the phone will be returned and I'll get a phone that uses an Ultrasonic reader and move on from there. I want the Pixel, but it is not the only game in town.

I don't have any issues with the fps on my Pixel 6 Pro, of course my definition of issue might not be the same as others who complain loudly about their experience. I didn't do all the moisturizing wetting, drying or any other finger beautification hints. The only thing I did was make sure I used all parts of my thumb as I would naturally use it for unlocking the phone, as well as setting it up twice. I just can't be as quick removing it from the sensor as I can be with the back fps on my Pixel 4a but it's only a few milliseconds difference.

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
Google claims that they went with this sensor for security purposes. I'd certainly like to see the testing data to support that claim.

What is an ultrasonic fingerprint reader anyway? The definition of ultrasonic is "sound waves above the limit of human hearing". Why would a reader that uses sound waves to read be more accurate or faster than a reader that uses light waves to read? Is it "outdated" because of advertising?

Anyway, the bottom line for me is that my Pixel 6 Pro is reading my fingerprints reliably. I don't need for my fingerprint to be read instantly. The difference in speed is in fractions of a second and if reading with light is more secure, I'm good with that.

bkdodger2

Jun 3, 2020
Visit site

I think you're going to be fine. I suggest at least have your fingers moisturized for initial set up ..or not so dry ..only my thinking it will read it better and I could be totally wrong I have no scientific proof lol ... But hey why not The rest of the time? Just go about your business my friend and hopefully it hits spot on for you 90% of the time at least or even more. It just baffles me because from day one I have no issues with it whatsoever. Second nature but then again I'm in the comforts of working from home behind the desk. I don't have any job that requires my fingers to get dirty and my hands. So I guess everyone has different situations and I could definitely understand all the frustration because if I had any issues I would be the same way. Good luck!

GoNavy79

Oct 18, 2021
Visit site

I have the same problem with my fingerprints. When I applied for a carry permit here in Arizona in 1994 we had a heckava time getting good prints. Since then, Arizona got rid of the requirement for a permit. My right thumb is the main digit I use for the fps because I have difficulty placing the others on the fps due to some wierdness in my body. Unfortunately my right thumb has the most worn print of all the others. So, I just have to use some moisturizer on it several times a day. No big deal.

anon(40376)

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
Optical scanners can be tricked by high resolution fingerprint photos. Also, known to not work as well if our finger is wet, dry, dirty, oily etc. They are also known to be slower than capacitive and ultrasonic and known to be less than accurate.

Ultrasonic uses sound waves to make and compare prints. Faster, more secure but dirty fingers can also cause problems.

Capacitive uses an array of very small capacitors to map the fingerprint. They are harder to fool since they do no not actually capture an actual map or photo of your fingerprint.

If google was really worried about security, they would have used capacitive and placed the scanner on the power button like some phones. Not sure but think a rear capacitive would be impossible on glass, but not sure.

Also if google was worried about security how could they suddenly with an update make it faster. Did they take away some security measures?

My opinion is google went with the optical to keep the price of the phones low and at the prices for both phones they are low. So it is the typical give and take. I would bet the Pixel 7 will be 100 more and have an ultrasonic...just my opinion.

With Samsung, I have read the ultrasonics used on the S10 were slow, the S20 (early models) I can vouch were slow and failed to work (I returned one); SW update helped, but with the release of the S21 it was a more modern sensor and a sensor that was over 70 percent larger in area and that did the trick.

I am not making a statement on the sensor just stating facts on how they work (or partial info). I will make my own decision on the P6P when I receive it, which is supposed to be Dec 17-18. (I'll believe it when it is in my non-moisturized but most likely clean hands.) And I also use hand sanitizer probably more than most here so that dries out the hands. I do NOT USE IT due to the Wuhan virus, I use it cause back in '16, I ended up in a hospital for a week with infective Endocarditis, bacterial heart infection. And living in a very dry climate at around 6K feet in altitude, plus the sanitizer my hands are dry and will remain dry.

What I am hoping for, is that next week in the December security update with some feature updates, on is they will turn on photo facial recognition like Samsung has on the S21 (after being told about that fact, I have researched it). It works when there is light, other times not so good. It is NOT secure; however, from what I can find out, for secure apps, all a person has to do is then scan in their fingerprints and they have access to the secured app.

However, for just answering a phone call, surfing the net, etc., the phone rec is all that is required.

That would be a dream come true for me and I believe many more. Time will tell. Next Monday, we will know.....:)

PaulQ

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Make your unlock feel a lot faster by turning animations off

I did not come up with this. Doug M. in the Facebook Pixel group found it. I think it came from 9to5 Google. I thought I would share because it does make a difference if you can deal with the drawback. I didn't see it posted here. Sorry if it's a repeat.

If you turn off animations in accessibility settings, it removes that black screen reveal animation after it recognizes your finger on the lock screen. Instead, it recognizes your finger then immediately brings the whole home screen up.

Where? Go to SETTINGS, search for "animation" and a toggle for animation on/off will come up. Turn off.

Everything starts popping up instead of "reveals" so it makes the phone seem superfast. Try opening apps.

Drawback: It kills ALL animations which I don't like. I like a little slide and reveal in my phone.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Re: Make your unlock feel a lot faster by turning animations off

You can go to developer settings and choose .5

PaulQ

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site

Under fingerprint sensor trick post 6.

Oops. Wow that's buried in there. I thought I searched but I guess I missed it. Sorry for the duplicate info.

PaulQ

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site

You can go to developer settings and choose .5

Yes. One caveat, if you set the "animator duration" scale to 0.5, the little fingerprint icon on the lock screen won't always appear. At least that's what happens with my P6P. The other two scales don't seem to affect it.

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
I wish you luck when you get your P6Pro, RETG. I'll be watching to see how you fare. My FPS is working reliably, so I'm good.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12