Pixel 6 Pro broken screen repair?

Dec 8, 2021
Visit site
Dropped my Pixel 6 Pro (Yes, it was in a case!) and cracked the screen. I contacted UBreakIfix, the "authorized" repair store and they say they can't fix it. I contacted the 2 closest locations and both said they couldn't. I'm in the SF Bay area, you'd think Google repairs would be a breeze around here, but so far no one I've talked to can fix it. Any thoughts or ideas? (Besides a better case...)
Thanks in advance...
Brian

dmxjago

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
I bet if this was not a curved display we could find tempered glass screen protectors which would significantly improve the durability. I like how the curved display looks but only film protector blah. Sorry to hear about your unfortunate situation that sucks.
Have you tried asking Google for help to see what's they say or at the very least guide you to find a place that can fix your screen?

Dec 8, 2021
Visit site
I looked on their website and they list UBreakIFix as their "official" repair locations. I'm calling Larry or Sergei next.

+1 on the screen protectors...

dmxjago

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
Good luck and keep us posted on the outcome, it should be good knowledge in case it happens to another person here on the forums.

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
I think there's no replacement parts available at the moment. You have to replace the whole phone.

Yep every single part is probably going to fill the huge backorder of new phones. These shortages suck lol. I'm glad I have some spare phones around :p

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
It's unfortunate stories like this that give me peace of mind about my $9 a month Preferred Care full protection warranty from Google that includes drops and spills. I've used this warranty several times in past years and there is no wait for a repair. Google ships a replacement phone via overnight air express. All it takes is a phone call and a photo of the damage.

anon(40376)

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
There are replacement parts available, where do the parts that Google has used to send out reman phones come from? Just because one of their authorized places does not have the part, does not mean they are not available. is there a good supply? But you cannot remain an item without parts and for sure they do not return a phone to an assembly line for repair. And as parts are shipped to the manufacturing line, some will be shipped to a parts warehouse somewhere in the world.

If you do a search you might find the part on the market (I just found one). From looking at the teardown down over on JerryRig; this screen is about as easy as any I have seen and have done (older phones for friends) and I have a bad habit of taking apart older phones before hitting the dumpster.

As for replacement parts, generally, the company has replacement parts that are supplied. When a phone is returned it is sent a reman center, either owned by the manufacture or by an approved second company (in this case google would use an authorized repair facility), they test, replace parts and send to a warehouse and sent out as a replacement. In other words, those non-NEW, replacement phones are rebuilt.

Also, for a large company, when a phone is returned, even for a protection warranty for a screen, the warehouse it is returned to sends it to the repair center and ships a rebuilt to the customer they do not repair in the warehouse. And if they did, that could add days or weeks to even a simple repair.

So to sum it up; if google has the parts for remaning a returned phone, there are parts.

anon(40376)

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
Now that I have returned form the walk, I did a quick check and the UBREAKIFIX in Pocatello must have the screen. I just made an appointment to have a replacement done; have to think they have the part or no scheduled appt. would have been made. I did cancel it, immediately. Could not make an appointment for the ID Falls store.

Ben xfg

Nov 12, 2019
Visit site
Dropped my Pixel 6 Pro (Yes, it was in a case!) and cracked the screen. I contacted UBreakIfix, the "authorized" repair store and they say they can't fix it. I contacted the 2 closest locations and both said they couldn't. I'm in the SF Bay area, you'd think Google repairs would be a breeze around here, but so far no one I've talked to can fix it. Any thoughts or ideas? (Besides a better case...)
Thanks in advance...
Brian

You could just order the part you need, and if you're not comfortable replacing yourself just take it to a trusted repair shop and pay them the labour to change it.

https://www.skystartrade.com/produc...VOU-AMOLED-LCD-Screen-Digitizer-Black/1018378

blueyestm

May 13, 2011
Visit site
This is why I put tempered glass on the screens now since you can't find actual glass like the old days. I have an S8 for the work phone which a curved screen and those cheesy plastic covers at least save the actual screen from cracking because I'm continuously dropping the thing. Granted I have to keep replacing the tempered glass but whatever.

Dec 8, 2021
Visit site
Now that I have returned form the walk, I did a quick check and the UBREAKIFIX in Pocatello must have the screen. I just made an appointment to have a replacement done; have to think they have the part or no scheduled appt. would have been made. I did cancel it, immediately. Could not make an appointment for the ID Falls store.

This is EXACTLY what I did with the closest UBreakIfix location. The website said they repaired these phones. I set up an appointment, included the issue of the broken screen and then waited the few days for my appointment time. When I arrived they said they could not fix it, INSPITE OF THEIR WEBSITE SAYING THEY COULD. They said they were a franchise and had no control over the website. I wasted half a day, took time off work for that. So I called another location, even farther away, and they said the same thing.

Ben xfg

Nov 12, 2019
Visit site
Never heard of Sky Star Trade. And, is that what the actual glass screen is called? "Screen Digitizer"?

It's the outer glass with the actual digitizer glued together and ready for installation. I buy parts from them all the time.
I would order the part, then take the new part along with your broken device to the shop for them to repair.
If you're comfortable doing the repair yourself, that's less labour cost for you ;)

blueyestm

May 13, 2011
Visit site
It should be fairly simple, just need to make sure you don't rip the screen off because you'll break the cable. I've had to replace a few BB screens. *cough* Keyone screen failure fiasco *cough*

anon(40376)

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
This is EXACTLY what I did with the closest UBreakIfix location. The website said they repaired these phones. I set up an appointment, included the issue of the broken screen and then waited the few days for my appointment time. When I arrived they said they could not fix it, INSPITE OF THEIR WEBSITE SAYING THEY COULD. They said they were a franchise and had no control over the website. I wasted half a day, took time off work for that. So I called another location, even farther away, and they said the same thing.

Smart thing might be to call ahead to make sure. For me, considering the store in Pocatello is 13 miles (over 2 hours) from where I live, I call ahead for anything that I consider unusual. (Idaho Falls is about the same, just a bigger pain.) If it was a short drive, maybe not.
But screens (aka digitizers) are available.