Read out loud

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Open the Phone app, tap the 3 dot menu button at the upper right, then Settings>Caller ID Announcement>Announce Caller ID. Make sure that's set to Always.

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Open the Phone app, tap the 3 dot menu button at the upper right, then Settings>Caller ID Announcement>Announce Caller ID. Make sure that's set to Always.

And then cross your fingers and hope it works lol. It seems to be pretty hit or miss on the pixels. I read about some issues with it, and mine never worked clearly on my 3XL.. it just developed more static as time went on in Android 11, and continued to degrade in 12 until the voice got very quiet and started cutting the ringtone in and out. I did everything I could think of, finally including the nuclear option of a factory reset.. which made the phone run better overall, but did nothing to give me back my beloved caller ID announcement :(

The ringtones on their own are loud and crystal clear, and the caller ID announcement is clear... just way too quiet to be useful. It's a software issue for sure :-\ I'm not sure why Google can't get a simple thing working in 2021 that my 2015 Moto X Pure Edition does perfectly.. plus a whole lot more. I believe the pixel 6 line is also eventually getting the ability to answer or decline a call by voice, but those were all things I was also doing (well) in 2015, and I'm still waiting for those features to come back. Yes they have been sorely missed for a long time :'(

Maybe folks like me who enjoyed and used those features are a small minority lol. It sucks to have unusual tastes :eek: ;)