Keyboard accuracy

drvier8

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I use Gboard on my Pixel 6 and it is significantly less accurate than my old Pixel 2 running Android 11. I use swipe typing and it is much worse on the 6. As is autocorrect. I am not sure if it is the Pixel 6, Android 12, or Gboard. On my Pixel 2, it was great, but now I notice problems several times a day.

Is anyone else seeing this?

brosko

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
I use Gboard on my Pixel 6 and it is significantly less accurate than my old Pixel 2 running Android 11. I use swipe typing and it is much worse on the 6. As is autocorrect. I am not sure if it is the Pixel 6, Android 12, or Gboard. On my Pixel 2, it was great, but now I notice problems several times a day.

I've noticed this too. It seems like I'm typing with club fingers. More mistakes than usual; and that's saying a lot for me. Lol
I chalk it up to the size of the phone and my automatic accustomed finger movements while typing on my pixel 3 (previous phone for almost 3 years). The buttons just aren't in the same spot as my fingers got used to with the P3 both because of the size of the keyboard on the p6p and the difference in the way I hold it while typing due to it's size. I think I'll get used to it eventually.

Last edited:

srvctec

May 29, 2011
Visit site
I haven't noticed much difference in my "normal" mistakes. That being said, I'm coming from my Samsung Note 8 where I also used Gboard for years and my P6P is nearly identical in size to the Note 8.

blueyestm

May 13, 2011
Visit site
You folks will most likely get there quicker than me. I've been using an actual keyboard with clickable keys for well over 10+ years. So to say I'm having a hard time typing on a flat screen is an understatement. I have to actually look at what I'm typing and go extremely slowly when typing passwords if I don't have an option to see the characters.

drvier8

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
This is my first phone with bezels this small and I think i may be getting incidental screen touches with my left hand (holding the phone) as I swipe-type with my right index finger.

That said, the accuracy of predicted words seems worse than before. Maybe as dmxjago said, it just needs to learn my word choice patterns, but I set it up from backup and assume that that is stored with my google account (hell, everything else is, so why not that).

Ranjen617

Jan 21, 2017
Visit site
I went in and resized my keyboard. I still have issues with typos more than my Samsung but this did help me somewhat.

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site

Another slide typist here. I'm seeing this exact thing happening to me on my Pixel 5a. Went from being an erudite typist on my 2XL to an illiterate dunce on my 5a.

(Had to fix 4 words in the sentence above before posting. Typist comes out as today, for example.)

100% of the time I want to type the word 'some' and it comes out 'dinner'. God comes out as good. Try it.

Extremely annoying. Ready to go back to tapping texts out with thumbs again.

maverick7526

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site

I don't know if it's Android 12, or just the phone, but the keyboard has been way less accurate. It shouldn't be a problem since I'm using the same account and Gboard is supposed to learn the way you type.

jelp2

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
Don't laugh but I install BlackBerry virtual keyboard on all my pixels. With that said, no more or less typos on my Pixel 6 vs other pixels I've used. I do switch to GBoard for voice typing now with it being instantaneous. I've tried using it for typing and can't do it. (No swipe up predictions).

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Don't laugh but I install BlackBerry virtual keyboard on all my pixels. With that said, no more or less typos on my Pixel 6 vs other pixels I've used. I do switch to GBoard for voice typing now with it being instantaneous. I've tried using it for typing and can't do it. (No swipe up predictions).

What is the name of the keyboard that you are using?

I used to love Swiftkey but, the last couple of years it has really gone downhill.

drvier8

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Another slide typist here. I'm seeing this exact thing happening to me on my Pixel 5a. Went from being an erudite typist on my 2XL to an illiterate dunce on my 5a.

(Had to fix 4 words in the sentence above before posting. Typist comes out as today, for example.)

100% of the time I want to type the word 'some' and it comes out 'dinner'. God comes out as good. Try it.

Extremely annoying. Ready to go back to tapping texts out with thumbs again.

I get "done" for some.... every time...

aecgda

Nov 15, 2015
Visit site

I thought the BlackBerry virtual keyboard wasn't available now? It's far better than any other keyboard I've used and I'd go back to it in an instant.

Remrose

Jul 2, 2021
Visit site
The BlackBerry keyboard is not available for my Pixel 6 Pro via the Google app store, but can be side loaded from other stores and works perfectly. Much better for swiping and typing than the provided Gboard one (especially coming from a physical keyboard to glass typing )

aecgda

Nov 15, 2015
Visit site
The BlackBerry keyboard is not available for my Pixel 6 Pro via the Google app store, but can be side loaded from other stores and works perfectly. Much better for swiping and typing than the provided Gboard one (especially coming from a physical keyboard to glass typing )

Thank you. Which stores are those?

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Any updates on your situation, OP? I can get how accidental screen touches may be a thing; but that wouldn't affect predictions and autocorrect, like you mentioned. Hopefully things are getting better for you!

jelp2

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
I thought the BlackBerry virtual keyboard wasn't available now? It's far better than any other keyboard I've used and I'd go back to it in an instant.

I've transferred it from device to device everytime I've switched devices. Should be able to find it online somewhere. The latest version is 4.1904.3.16701 I believe

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc