01-12-2022 05:51 PM
28 12
tools
    I use Gboard on my Pixel 6 and it is significantly less accurate than my old Pixel 2 running Android 11. I use swipe typing and it is much worse on the 6. As is autocorrect. I am not sure if it is the Pixel 6, Android 12, or Gboard. On my Pixel 2, it was great, but now I notice problems several times a day.

Is anyone else seeing this?
    12-27-2021 09:30 AM
    Maybe because it's a new phone it needs to relearn your typing patterns? Not sure though.
    12-27-2021 09:48 AM
    I use Gboard on my Pixel 6 and it is significantly less accurate than my old Pixel 2 running Android 11. I use swipe typing and it is much worse on the 6. As is autocorrect. I am not sure if it is the Pixel 6, Android 12, or Gboard. On my Pixel 2, it was great, but now I notice problems several times a day.

I've noticed this too. It seems like I'm typing with club fingers. More mistakes than usual; and that's saying a lot for me. Lol
    I chalk it up to the size of the phone and my automatic accustomed finger movements while typing on my pixel 3 (previous phone for almost 3 years). The buttons just aren't in the same spot as my fingers got used to with the P3 both because of the size of the keyboard on the p6p and the difference in the way I hold it while typing due to it's size. I think I'll get used to it eventually.
    12-27-2021 06:32 PM
    I haven't noticed much difference in my "normal" mistakes. That being said, I'm coming from my Samsung Note 8 where I also used Gboard for years and my P6P is nearly identical in size to the Note 8.
    12-27-2021 09:49 PM
    You folks will most likely get there quicker than me. I've been using an actual keyboard with clickable keys for well over 10+ years. So to say I'm having a hard time typing on a flat screen is an understatement. I have to actually look at what I'm typing and go extremely slowly when typing passwords if I don't have an option to see the characters.
    brosko likes this.
    12-27-2021 10:44 PM
    This is my first phone with bezels this small and I think i may be getting incidental screen touches with my left hand (holding the phone) as I swipe-type with my right index finger.

That said, the accuracy of predicted words seems worse than before. Maybe as dmxjago said, it just needs to learn my word choice patterns, but I set it up from backup and assume that that is stored with my google account (hell, everything else is, so why not that).
    12-28-2021 10:24 AM
    I went in and resized my keyboard. I still have issues with typos more than my Samsung but this did help me somewhat.
    01-09-2022 09:22 AM
    Do you type on this phone ?lol

Voice dictation all the way ..unless outside where unable ..
    TraderGary likes this.
    01-09-2022 09:43 AM

Another slide typist here. I'm seeing this exact thing happening to me on my Pixel 5a. Went from being an erudite typist on my 2XL to an illiterate dunce on my 5a.

(Had to fix 4 words in the sentence above before posting. Typist comes out as today, for example.)

100% of the time I want to type the word 'some' and it comes out 'dinner'. God comes out as good. Try it.

Extremely annoying. Ready to go back to tapping texts out with thumbs again.
    01-09-2022 11:11 AM

I don't know if it's Android 12, or just the phone, but the keyboard has been way less accurate. It shouldn't be a problem since I'm using the same account and Gboard is supposed to learn the way you type.
    brosko likes this.
    01-09-2022 11:21 AM
    Don't laugh but I install BlackBerry virtual keyboard on all my pixels. With that said, no more or less typos on my Pixel 6 vs other pixels I've used. I do switch to GBoard for voice typing now with it being instantaneous. I've tried using it for typing and can't do it. (No swipe up predictions).
    Morty2264 likes this.
    01-09-2022 04:03 PM
    Don't laugh but I install BlackBerry virtual keyboard on all my pixels. With that said, no more or less typos on my Pixel 6 vs other pixels I've used. I do switch to GBoard for voice typing now with it being instantaneous. I've tried using it for typing and can't do it. (No swipe up predictions).
    What is the name of the keyboard that you are using?

I used to love Swiftkey but, the last couple of years it has really gone downhill.
    01-09-2022 06:46 PM
    Another slide typist here. I'm seeing this exact thing happening to me on my Pixel 5a. Went from being an erudite typist on my 2XL to an illiterate dunce on my 5a.

(Had to fix 4 words in the sentence above before posting. Typist comes out as today, for example.)

100% of the time I want to type the word 'some' and it comes out 'dinner'. God comes out as good. Try it.

Extremely annoying. Ready to go back to tapping texts out with thumbs again.
    I get "done" for some.... every time...
    01-09-2022 07:14 PM
    I have seen this too. Autocorrect has been straight up bizarre with gboard on this phone.
    01-09-2022 07:55 PM
    I thought the BlackBerry virtual keyboard wasn't available now? It's far better than any other keyboard I've used and I'd go back to it in an instant.
    01-10-2022 02:11 AM
    The BlackBerry keyboard is not available for my Pixel 6 Pro via the Google app store, but can be side loaded from other stores and works perfectly. Much better for swiping and typing than the provided Gboard one (especially coming from a physical keyboard to glass typing )
    jelp2 likes this.
    01-10-2022 03:46 AM
    The BlackBerry keyboard is not available for my Pixel 6 Pro via the Google app store, but can be side loaded from other stores and works perfectly. Much better for swiping and typing than the provided Gboard one (especially coming from a physical keyboard to glass typing )
    Thank you. Which stores are those?
    01-10-2022 03:49 AM
    Any updates on your situation, OP? I can get how accidental screen touches may be a thing; but that wouldn't affect predictions and autocorrect, like you mentioned. Hopefully things are getting better for you!
    brosko likes this.
    01-10-2022 07:03 AM
    What is the name of the keyboard that you are using?

I used to love Swiftkey but, the last couple of years it has really gone downhill.
    It's just called BlackBerry Keyboard. You may be able to find the apk online. Not sure if it's in playstore
    01-10-2022 09:57 AM
    I thought the BlackBerry virtual keyboard wasn't available now? It's far better than any other keyboard I've used and I'd go back to it in an instant.
    I've transferred it from device to device everytime I've switched devices. Should be able to find it online somewhere. The latest version is 4.1904.3.16701 I believe
    01-10-2022 09:58 AM
    01-10-2022 01:24 PM
    This was the link provided within the CrackBerry forums by Conite(a trusted moderator)
    01-10-2022 01:26 PM
    Any updates on your situation, OP? I can get how accidental screen touches may be a thing; but that wouldn't affect predictions and autocorrect, like you mentioned. Hopefully things are getting better for you!
    Nope. Still getting very strange predictions/results. I have just learned to do my swipes more slowly and deliberately than before. And reread before sending a message. Maybe it is a Android 12 thing and not my P6. I cannot tell because none of my old phones updated to 12. Gboard versions are the same.
    Morty2264 likes this.
    01-11-2022 09:17 AM
    Nope. Still getting very strange predictions/results. I have just learned to do my swipes more slowly and deliberately than before. And reread before sending a message. Maybe it is a Android 12 thing and not my P6. I cannot tell because none of my old phones updated to 12. Gboard versions are the same.
    It's happening on my 5a running Android 12. I had my 5a for only a week or so on Android 11 before it updated to Android 12 on the September patch. I don't remember typos happening that first week or so I had my 5a. So I think it's an Android 12 problem.
    01-11-2022 09:43 AM
    I use SwiftKey, and have for years. But I, too, switch to GBoard for voice typing. Never for regular typing though.
    mustang7757 likes this.
    01-12-2022 08:22 AM
28 12